Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nakamura

Re: Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Post by nakamura » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:53 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:Surely Stun runner would look nearly as good on a standard DS depicted in 3 dimensions anyway, as are most race games.
I'd say a conversion of the game would likely look okay-ish on DS or 3DS hardware. On PS Vita's OLED screen upscaled to the console's native resolution of 960x544 an arcade-perfect port of the game would look sublime.
I don't like the arcade game that much. I much prefer the Lynx game. :oops:

I Robot was a great shout!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:26 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:Surely Stun runner would look nearly as good on a standard DS depicted in 3 dimensions anyway, as are most race games.
I'd say a conversion of the game would likely look okay-ish on DS or 3DS hardware. On PS Vita's OLED screen upscaled to the console's native resolution of 960x544 an arcade-perfect port of the game would look sublime.
I would MUCH rather play a 3D game in proper 3D personally, couldn't give a fig about how high the PS Vita resolution is, it won't make the 3D effect better.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:30 pm

The Laird wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
I would MUCH rather play a 3D game in proper 3D personally, couldn't give a fig about how high the PS Vita resolution is, it won't make the 3D effect better.
Each to their own. I'd rather play the game in stunning high resolution with a silky smooth frame on PS Vita's larger screen rather than in 3D on 3DS's incredibly low res screen with its associated jaggies. I know there are some Android smartphones available with glasses-free 3D screens but without looking into the details I don't know what resolution they are. I can't imagine they'd be as low as 3DS's screen though.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:17 pm

Vita games are full of jaggies also.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:21 pm

nakamura wrote:Vita games are full of jaggies also.
Some PS Vita games are. The ones that don't display at the console's native resolution.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:22 pm

Which is quite a lot, surprised me. A fair few 3DS games also look amazing. Super SFIV, Resident Evil Revalations and Zelda all run with lovely anti aliasing in 2D mode.

Both machines suffer similar issues.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:30 pm

nakamura wrote:Which is quite a lot, surprised me. A fair few 3DS games also look amazing. Super SFIV, Resident Evil Revalations and Zelda all run with lovely anti aliasing in 2D mode.

Both machines suffer similar issues.
Yep. It doesn't matter how potentially great any console is, if developers don't, won't or even can't take proper advantage of it.

Something that a lot of people would do well to think about when they automatically assume that a more powerful format will give them the best quality games.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:36 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:Something that a lot of people would do well to think about when they automatically assume that a more powerful format will give them the best quality games.
Do "a lot of people" do that then? Can't say I've noticed.

crotea

Post by crotea » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:45 pm

Noticed the thread is getting quite argumentative now, this here is a happy place and if you want to rant about what handhelds are better do it over personal messages please.
These are people's own opinion on their favourite handheld.

Thank you :).

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:16 pm

nakamura wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
I don't like the arcade game that much. I much prefer the Lynx game. :oops:

I Robot was a great shout!
When you say the arcade game do you mean the actual arcade coin-op itself or an emulated version of it?

Yep, the Lynx conversion is an absolute corker. :D

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:37 pm

Hmm good point. I mean the home ports on the retro collections last gen. I can't remember the actual arcade cab now.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:39 pm

nakamura wrote:Hmm good point. I mean the home ports on the retro collections last gen. I can't remember the actual arcade cab now.
Well the PS2 conversion (note, not a port) was a horror show so no wonder you don't like the 'arcade game'!

Flint

Post by Flint » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:39 pm

I adore my Gameboy Micros, yes plural, I liked my first one so much I bought a scuffed up second-hand to use the majority of the time (in case of loss, theft, flashcart draining the battery etc).

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:54 pm

My favourite? The game gadget.

Eat your nans pants

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:23 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
nakamura wrote:Hmm good point. I mean the home ports on the retro collections last gen. I can't remember the actual arcade cab now.
Well the PS2 conversion (note, not a port) was a horror show so no wonder you don't like the 'arcade game'!
Played it on mame also and still prefered the Lynx game. I am sure it was great in the cabinet though.