Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kiwimike

Re: Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Post by kiwimike » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:32 pm

Back on topic, I've just been running through the handheld games I've had over the years (excluding the dedicated handheld/tabletop etc).

Lynx, Lynx II, GB, NGPC,Game gear, Game.com, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA sp, GBM, DS, PSP, 3DS XL. Lol, I even have to admit I've had one of those Blaze MD ones, which for a cheapie for kids in the back seat on trips or a blat of Streets of Rage II while on holiday, it does that job.

There has not been one of these that I didn't like, I got fun out of all of them to some degree. Even the maligned Game.com had some fun games for certain genres (like wheel of fortune) and the Blaze one was fine for what it was designed for as it did what it said on the tin: Sega games in a budget handheld. It was only when they did silly things like the gamegadget (constant lies and bugs and arrogance and not doing what it was promoted to) or Neo Geo x (cheap emulator at ridiculous inflated price) that they've got into strife.

I must say for me the 3DS XL is my fave, with a great range of games and a great hardware that works for me. I was initially put off by the original price (Which had the immediate "**** off" reaction), lack of games and a screen that was just too small...but by the time the XL emerged there was a great range of games I wanted, the price was something I was comfortable with, the screen and console size perfect for me.
Is it better than the Vita? The Vita looks a terrific little machine, no doubt about it. But the 3DS XL was the better machine for what I wanted and the games I wanted. Is the mobile ph/tablet the better gaming on the move machine? Again, not knocking them, I've seen and had a go at some great stuff on these machines. But again, it wasn't as good for me. I aren't a fan of touch screens myself for games, although they work well enough. I just like a dedicated games thing with specific game controls. Just a personal thing.
Last edited by kiwimike on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:33 pm

The Laird wrote:I was just thinking . . . . .

Imagine STUN Runner on the 3DS :o
Yes please :)

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:39 pm

As in a new Stun Runner or a 3d port of the old game?
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:42 pm

nakamura wrote:As in a new Stun Runner or a 3d port of the old game?
BOTH!

Yes I am greedy :mrgreen:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:19 pm

nakamura wrote:As in a new Stun Runner or a 3d port of the old game?
A new one, with the old one packed in as a bonus :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:22 pm

A version of Atari beast I Robot would be an interesting little 3D game, as would Battlezone

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:39 am

Little more than a novelty though since the 3D doesn't change the gameplay at all.

But since we're making suggestions like that, I'd opt for Deathchase so it can finally officially have its 3D prefix.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:21 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Still love that original gameboy and those cartridges though! I remember going to Windsor once a month at lunchtime to buy a new Gameboy game for about i think £20-£25, blimey !
Looking at an old issue of CVG yesterday (1994), and new-release Game Gear games are £44.99 :shock:
I remember buying Kick Off on the Game Gear and it cost about £35/40!

The games industry (as with music and movies) was happy enough to rip us off for years.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

batman877

Post by batman877 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:46 am

Probably the Vita for me - sure it needs more exclusive titles but I'm getting so much use out of it particularly with the new cross-buy feature with the PS3 and the great games Sony keep giving away with Playstation Plus AND I can enjoy many PS1 titles.

I love my PSP too - so many great RPGs and pretty good for emulation.

The DS Lite also a close contender - brilliant backlit screen and a wealth of quality titles including GBA compatibility.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:14 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Little more than a novelty though since the 3D doesn't change the gameplay at all.

But since we're making suggestions like that, I'd opt for Deathchase so it can finally officially have its 3D prefix.
Yeah, it's novelty factor of course, but is kinda cool. It's had me thinking about older games that'd scrub up nice and do the 3D thing well though. I'd love a really decent Doom, Duke Nukem and the Desert Strike games :)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:15 am

Something like Terminal Velocity or Fury3 would be nice in 3D, possibly...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:17 am

kiwimike wrote:A version of Atari beast I Robot would be an interesting little 3D game
That game would probably work really well in 3D. Good call! :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:01 am

Surely Stun runner would look nearly as good on a standard DS depicted in 3 dimensions anyway, as are most race games. Given that this is the case with a lot of games giving the impression of 3 dimensional visuals, why could they not simply include a '3d' on/off option and create a budget 3ds without the 3d filter. As much as I enjoy SF4 it doesnt require the 3d at all.

As for favourite handheld I think I would say PSP first and GBA SP second.

PSP has a great retro collection available , emulation and some great games in general.

Gba SP for its ace library of games, handy size and backwards compatability.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:49 am

shiftytigger wrote:Surely Stun runner would look nearly as good on a standard DS depicted in 3 dimensions anyway, as are most race games.
I'd say a conversion of the game would likely look okay-ish on DS or 3DS hardware. On PS Vita's OLED screen upscaled to the console's native resolution of 960x544 an arcade-perfect port of the game would look sublime.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:55 am

Any game with a proper 3D environment ought to benefit from the display of the 3DS. And racing games generally do; Ridge Racer and MK7 certainly gain a lot of added depth with it turned on, and I don't see why a port of Stun Runner couldn't do the same.

It's just a shame that a lot of the machine's library, including some of the best ones in gameplay terms, are essentially 2D games with a load of gratuitous parallax layers thrown in.