Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crotea

Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Post by crotea » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:54 am

Hey, I've been looking around the forums and have been noticing a lot of things to do with handhelds. However, all the threads seem to be about one certain handheld.
That's why I have decided to start a thread that's about all of the handhelds out there, and to kick it off I will ask you a question: What is your favourite handheld?

PS-

Mine is the original Gameboy :D

Morkin

Re: Whats your favourite Handheld console?

Post by Morkin » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:20 pm

Probably the DSi for the sheer amount of great games closely followed by the PSP.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:31 pm

The Atari Lynx obviously, best handheld console ever. So far ahead of it's time that it remained the most powerful handheld on the market for 12 years. It also has one of the best good to bad games ratios of any system.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:51 pm

PSP... Because it has so many great emulators on it, meaning I can play all sorts of games on.the go.

The joystick sucks though.. but ill over look that.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Original GameBoy + Tetris.

That's all I will ever need.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:21 pm

If were taking pure handheld, with no emulators etc, it would have to be the Gamegear or my Gameboy pocket

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:25 pm

My DSi stands out for me as there is such a variety of games available for pretty much anyone. I have a great selection of games for it and I've really enjoyed what I've got out of it so far. Shame the same cannot be said for my 3DS although that could change with the lineup this year.

I do enjoy buying up bits for my Neo Geo Pocket Color and love the design. The console and games have big appeal in both playing and collecting (love the clamshell boxes!). Biggest downfall is the screen as its often hard going back to a console without a backlight, especially with my awful eyesight.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:08 pm

based on their pure purpose I would say the Vita

But if you can hack it to death it will be psp-go...

Might surprise a few people, but it plays everything I want....lovely screen.....buttons are spaced nice for my hands anyway....

Honourable mentions GB Micro and 3DS

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:09 pm

Best? PSP

Favourite? Original GB
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:42 pm

There have been some fantastic portables over the years and I have never been so into them.

The Lynx and GB were both superb. The Lynx felt meaty and had really spectacular games that felt much like full sized titles in many cases. The GB was much more portable and had some all time classics. With Zelda and Donkey Kong '94, they really pushed the machine with meaty titles.

The GBA was a bit of a letdown to start, mainly due to the lack of screen lighting but they improved it a bit with the SP. GBA games are often great but I can't really play them unless I use a DS or a backlit GBA.

The PSP is awesome too. Once you got past that it's nowhere near as powerful as a portable PS2, it was a great machine in its own right and is home to many a great RPG and action game. So much variety in the library too.

My personal favourite though is the 3DS. It is building a lovely library of games covered a lot of genres and has a lovely screen. I like the circle pad too, it works nicely. With an XL you can perfectly run DS games in 1-1 scale in a decent sized screen. I also really like the 3D effect, much more than I expected.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:44 pm

Neogeo pocket

And
PSP

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:31 pm

PSP.

Not because of its strength in emulation, as I have no interest in that on the system. It has a library of fantastic games catering for pretty much every genre you want. It also still looks sleek and stylish today (apart from the E1000 which looks terrible!)

Great game boxes too.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:07 pm

Neo geo pocket colour all the way for me, followed by the DS but that's down to the fact I can play all my GBA games with them looking how they should on the much better screen

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:53 pm

psp model 3000 and the ds
both are amazing machines with huge and varied libraries
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:20 pm

My favourite retro handheld console? Atari Lynx.
Honorable mentions to Nomad, Gizmondo, WonderSwan SwanCrystal, Game Boy micro and Neo Geo Pocket Color.

Least favourite retro handheld consoles? Game Boy, Game Gear and the original model Game Boy Advance.

The best current handheld gaming device? iPhone.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac