From the forum issue 115 - Adventure games

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: From the forum issue 115 - Adventure games

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:44 pm

Hiro wrote:
Garry wrote:great shout Hiro, and wasnt Jack the Ripper so gory it was one of the first '18 and over' games released? i know that makes the game instantly better in the eyes of a young games player! well it did in my case!!
As far as I remember, before JtR, Dracula (released the year before) already made a big uproar and was maybe the first game (surely one of the first) to pave the way for age limitations for videogames :)
Guys,
I really really tried to get hold of rod pike for the CRL article in issue 97. However Internet sweeps just brought up a load of fishing gear lol

Maybe I'll give it another go. I even resorted to phoning a few random rod pikes in the phone directory!

Dracula got a 15 cert because its images, whilst gory, didn't move. Clem told me he was very disappointed lol. Jack the Ripper was by st. Brides not rod pike and it finally got CRL their coveted 18 cert.

There's more in ish 97.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:49 pm

jdanddiet wrote: Guys,
I really really tried to get hold of rod like for the CRL article in issue 97. However Internet sweeps just brought up a load of fishing gear lol
Maybe I'll give it another go. I even resorted to phoning a few random rod pikes in the phone directory!
Yes, I read the CRL article and it's one of my favourite "from the archives" articles :) When starting it I hoped to see info about Pike and it was the only disappointment on the article, but I can see it's been tried :mrgreen: My mistake, JtR wasn't his, but Dracula, Wolfman and Frankenstein were great. The guy really managed to create a gloomy, eerie and involving atmosphere with his text, hope to read about him sometime in the future 8)
Last edited by Hiro on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:51 pm

I will put it on my list :-)
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Guild of thieves with The Pawn in hot pursuit.

Interestingly enough, I feel that Zork (or possibly it's proto-form Dungeon) should be my most cherished game. At least it is the one I bow to in respect.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:13 pm

Wizard and the Princess on Vic 20 doesn't count I suppose?

Not a genre I played much, but Mugsy was fun on my friend Speccy.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:26 pm

Can I go for something a little bit modern & choose Hotel Dusk: Room 215 on the Nintendo DS. Yes it's only 6 years old, but it's a cracking game. Stylish graphics, great atmosphere, interesting storyline, plus holding your DS like a book (which appealed to me!).

For an older choice, I'd go with Urban Upstart on the Spectrum. "Scarthorpe is the sort of town where even the dogs carry flick knives! Where there's only one road in, and that's a one-way street!" Reading that on the inlay, you just had to play it.
Last edited by Morkin on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:33 pm

I used to enjoy the odd adventure game on the C64 - but the lack of sound made it less appealing for me. (Jean Michel Jarre cassette was always at the ready though!)...

Then Kentilla arrived. The music (by Rob Hubbard) was brilliant and made me stay and play for far longer. Music should have been included with more of them.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:45 am

The Count on the Vic 20. My first ever adventure game, simply amazing to be interacting with a book, with my imagination drawing the locations from the text descriptions. I particularly remember the room with centuries worth of dust, where you had to hide from The Count himself.

Level 9 were fantastic, loved their output.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:46 pm

slacey1070 wrote:The Count on the Vic 20. My first ever adventure game, simply amazing to be interacting with a book, with my imagination drawing the locations from the text descriptions. I particularly remember the room with centuries worth of dust, where you had to hide from The Count himself.

Level 9 were fantastic, loved their output.
the Vic20 cartridge games were good - but as I only played them years later they were very retro by then already!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:55 pm

Space Quest 3. Of all the Space Quests, 3 feels the most open. You start in this garbage ship, where you build your very own space ship and blast your way into space. From there you can go anywhere (well, three places). There's a Terminator, a Space Chicken and a 3D sequence that looked amazing back in the day. Not to mention the soundtrack, that managed to sound epic, even on PC speaker.

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:09 am

I'm going to say Cadaver because I'm going to keep saying Cadaver until it gets a mention in RG.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:19 am

One of my personal favourites is Dracula: The Undead on the Lynx. It's amazing how they managed to cram such an impressive game into a little handheld. It's also notable for having been featured on the TV show Bad Influence bad in the day where they recommended it highly!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:51 am

I am no adventure expert but I did hammer Discworld on PS1. I loved the voice acting and location design. The music is consistently good too and the plot is barmy. A bit obscure, I can't finish it without a guide but it remains a game I still have in my collection today.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:56 am

nakamura wrote:I am no adventure expert but I did hammer Discworld on PS1. I loved the voice acting and location design. The music is consistently good too and the plot is barmy. A bit obscure, I can't finish it without a guide but it remains a game I still have in my collection today.
I am a big fab of that game too, but on the Saturn 8)

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:03 am

Heroes Of Karn, The Forest At World's End & Warlord (all by Interceptor Software) were the first experience I had of text adventures, so I'll go for those!

By no means the best adventures out there, but I remember finding it hilarious when my sister typed in "F*** The Frog!" only to be told, "That is biologically impossible!".... :lol:
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!