Awful 16-bit Platformers

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

samhain81

Re: Awful 16-bit Platformers

Post by samhain81 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:47 am

Always thought the platformers based on tv shows were really weak i.e/ Ren and Stimpy, Talespin, Real Monsters, Captain Planet. Great visuals, but quite boring.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:29 pm

Nah, Ren & Stimpy's a lot of fun with two players. Tried it? The Mega Drive version, I'm talking about...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:05 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Nah, Ren & Stimpy's a lot of fun with two players. Tried it? The Mega Drive version, I'm talking about...
I quite enjoyed the Mega Drive version too :)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 pm

Add another who likes Stimpy's Invention (kinda predictably :wink: ). VERY short but loads of fun with the humour genuinely adding to the game.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:52 pm

Movie tie-ins too. All the money goes on the licence, none left for development. Ocasionally some good ones come along - 8-bit Robocop, Joffa's treatment of Cobra - but the latter was only any good because a top programmer had already written a game engine and the licence was just slapped on whatever came to hand. The actual ties to the movie are a game in itself - spotting all the laughably obscure connections; links that make Matthew Smith's flapping toilet seats seem rational by comparison.

Krusty's Super Funhouse too - nice game (i.e. Rat-Trap, a platformer crossed with Lemmings [anyone else found that hidden cave in Leander yet?]). But a blatantly shoe-horned licence. Fitting really, given the character of Krusty in the show!

parappa

Post by parappa » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:24 am

Does anyone remember the Frosties Tiger 2D platformer that came free with Frosties (on cd rom) sometime around 15 years ago? I was so bored I completed it! It like the worst generic Mega Drive style platformer.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:27 am

joefish wrote:Joffa's treatment of Cobra - but the latter was only any good because a top programmer had already written a game engine and the licence was just slapped on whatever came to hand. The actual ties to the movie are a game in itself - spotting all the laughably obscure connections; links that make Matthew Smith's flapping toilet seats seem rational by comparison.
Cobras a classic, so playable. Find it amusing you have different weapons like an UZI to shoot prams or women ! If this came out today there would be uproar in the tabloids !

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:37 pm

psj3809 wrote:Cobras a classic, so playable. Find it amusing you have different weapons like an UZI to shoot prams or women ! If this came out today there would be uproar in the tabloids !
In the movie the bad guy tells 'Cobra' Cobretti (Stallone) that he can't kill him - he has to arrest him - otherwise that would be murder. And shortly after, Stallone kills the bad guy anyway. Hence the fire button in the game is designated not 'FIRE' but 'MURDER'. :lol:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:41 pm

Am I the only one to hate Bitmap's Gods and Magic Pockets? Far too slow for my liking.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:07 am

Got to say I'm not a fan of anything by the Bitmap Brothers, besides Z.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:19 am

Only Bitmap Bros. game I liked was Speedball 2.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:27 am

Gods was a bit sluggish but I still thought it was a good game. The in-game events such as passages opening up and multi-switch puzzles were good. It was a a bit annoying that some bits were based on how well you were playing or just random events and weren't repeatable.

I didn't really think Magic Pockets was slow. It just wasn't very exciting - all the levels were a bit similar and the typical BB orange / dark metallic blue palette didn't really suit it. It had some great enemy sprites. But for a game about 'pockets' it wasn't entirely clear if the main character was actually wearing trousers or not.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:37 am

^The 'shininess' of BB games was a bit of an irk, worked really well in Xenon (1) and both Speedballs but felt a bit odd for a cutesy platformer like Magic Pockets. Gods definitely had an interesting art style but graphically it reminded me of Xenon 2 a lot and I HATED that game!!!!

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:47 pm

They did make fantastically efficient use of a 16-colour palette in a lot of their games, able to draw shaded things in a range of colours when you wouldn't think they had enough inks. But the end result was either a lot of things being metallic blue and organic orange (like Xenon II), or all the colours pale and washed out (so they can use greys as lighter shades on everything), like you get in The Chaos Engine.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:05 pm

^Bah, never liked The Chaos Engine, too but would agree it looked really superb in its own way (you're right about their skill, they made some of the most 'solid'-looking games out there but as you say, the limited colour palettes did often give a washed-out effect).

Tell you what - I can't say I hated all their games (bar SB2) because I never tried Z or that isometric-y knightly one on Amiga - "Captive", was it?