Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HalcyonDaze00

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:22 pm

collectors guides suck balls and should be removed from the mag, they are all complete sh1te and the biggest waste of pages since the appalling LAP.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:41 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:collectors guides suck balls and should be removed from the mag, they are all complete sh1te and the biggest waste of pages since the appalling LAP.
Thanks for that. Really useful :roll:
You're going to love our Amiga guide next month then :lol:

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:01 pm

I like the collectors guides. I would think that if you know all there is to know about the system in question then the guide may not be for you? I think they're great as a starting point for anyone. Personally found the N64 guide great when I came to hunting for a few games for the system. Nice to have a little insight as to whats going to be near impossible to find and what gems there are to be had.

Guess you cant please everyone.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:02 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:collectors guides suck balls
I'm going to ask my wife to be a collectors guide. :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:56 pm

Lol, I'm interested in the collectors guides, although not one myself. But pardon my ignorance- Exactly why are EA games a 'Blight' from a 'collectors point of view?'

From my viewpoint they are collectable, many of them classics, they are part of a collection of the said console- What makes them so bad from a collectors POV? :?

carl_retrotext

Post by carl_retrotext » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:35 am

I have just read the collectors guide, and then read the comments on this thread about it.
I can see that it is a guide only and I did not have any problem with it at all,in fact I did not have a problem with any collector guides that have been published, however the comments about sports games and EA were a little too subjective for me to be included, I guess the author did not dig EA and sports games the same way as many others did.

I would not expect a record player collector guide to say all records by a particular Label were crap because they released a song on a 45 that the author did not like as that Is irrelevant to the player itself.

Now if the article was implying that he is frustrated with the blight of FIFA games for the Mega Drive at car boot sales and not much else, I would emphasise.

Personally I did prefer the previous issue to this one, but that's to take nothing away from the effort that goes into every issue.
I just prefer more historical articles about the Hardware, but the Mag is a called Retrogamer, I can handle it- and pleased that the odd article sneaks in there!

merman

Post by merman » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:40 am

Just one point - the PC Engine article last time was not a collector's guide, so you are comparing apples and oranges. Certainly there was some opinion in there, but dismissing the whole idea of the guide is wrong.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

tachi

Post by tachi » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:47 am

I too thought the EA statement seemed a little unusual. I'm no fan of Sport games but I am aware if many friends who liked the EA games, and did they not sell well?
Second to this, the Power Up section. Am I the only one who always thought Gauntlet referred to the Potions as Magic Potions and not Bomb Potions?
Thirdly (and finally) I for one really like the cover of this issue. I always enjoy the multiple image covers as it gives me a challenge to try and name all the games prior to opening the magazine :)
All in all, being 50% through the magazine, I find it all a little disappointing really :(
I for one would like a little more revisits, reviews and replays and a little less "How they were made" and "We Meet.." sections and more about the actual games we all love. It is, after all Retro Gamer and not Retro Game Makers but I feel I am a minority in this :)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

carl_retrotext

Post by carl_retrotext » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:53 am

merman wrote:Just one point - the PC Engine article last time was not a collector's guide, so you are comparing apples and oranges. Certainly there was some opinion in there, but dismissing the whole idea of the guide is wrong.

Sorry Merman, but I was aware of the difference if you meant me, the collectors guides are great for beginners, the retroinspection and under the cover type technical articles like the PC e certainly different in approach.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:56 am

kiwimike wrote:Lol, I'm interested in the collectors guides, although not one myself. But pardon my ignorance- Exactly why are EA games a 'Blight' from a 'collectors point of view?'

From my viewpoint they are collectable, many of them classics, they are part of a collection of the said console- What makes them so bad from a collectors POV? :?
Apparently none of you have ever collected for a full set ;) There is nothing worse than 30% of a library being comprised of sports games. On the one hand, it forces you to buy a shitload of games you'll never play for the full set (e.g. 6 years of EA NHL Hockey, are you ever gonna be play more than one of those?), which means you need to shell out money for rubbish, which is never a good thing. On the other hand, it means that every damn lot you buy on ebay and car boots will contain at least a few of these games, resulting in lots of dupes you'll have problems shifting because no one wants them.

Just ask anyone who completed a full MD set what he thinks of the sports games library ;)

This has nothing at all to do with the quality of these games, just the sheer number.

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:42 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It seems that after 12 odd entries, most people still don't appear to understand what the Collector's Guide actually is.

There's more than enough stuff for a seperate collector's guide devoted to the Mega CD, which is why it's not covered here.
Thanks for the feedback Darren. Look forward to that one, although i'm starting to think a 'Repair Guide' might be more useful for this machine!

Think i might as well just replace the Caps in all my 80's / 90's systems before the same thing inevitably happens to them :-(

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:24 pm

I like the collectors guides and have always thought they are about collecting for system X in the hear and now, a bit of background history is always good to kickstart the feature, but the significance of game X and the impact it had as well as its library had back in the day are largely irrelevent next to looking at a system and game(s) from a collecting standpoint in the here and now.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:24 pm

Well I guess I just think collecting such insane amounts of games you are never going to play is just silly, sports titles or otherwise. The recent U-turn by Xfile2708 echoed this for me. It's like he suddenly looked at all these games one day and went - WHY? :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:40 pm

merman wrote:Just one point - the PC Engine article last time was not a collector's guide, so you are comparing apples and oranges. Certainly there was some opinion in there, but dismissing the whole idea of the guide is wrong.
Apples and oranges? Both are a fruit :wink: . I don't know whether you meant me or not, but I don't remember dismissing the idea. If I did, I didn't mean it that way. But really, and now im being more critical than usual..If ones a guide and the other isn't then common sense would suggest to me that the engine should have had a collectors guide. Pretty much all of us on here and those from across the pond and in Europe grew up loving the MD. so one would assume that the readership will have a far better knowledge of it as a result.

Eat your nans pants

NES Max

Post by NES Max » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Collector guides and Retroinspection are, hands down, the features I am going back to most often when I have completed reading an issue. Collecting is a big part of the retro gaming phenomenon and thus should be addressed in the biggest mag about retro gaming. Please keep churning out these kinds of features!