Has anyone here owned an Open Pandora

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rocky1980

Has anyone here owned an Open Pandora

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi all,

I think the title says it all. I have been looking at these little machines again, some off the videos make it out to be a super machine for both emulation and general use. Ideally if anyone here has owns (or has owned one) I would like to get there honest option on the device, is it just a REALLY expensive toy or is it a lot more, if you had one and sold it why ?. They are not cheap there is only one on ebay right not and the guy is asking way over the odds at £450 that ipad 2 / laptop money. I would ask this question on the open Pandora boards but I know I will get a lot of posts about the following

1. How they have been waiting 3 years on there Pandora and they are sick off it
2. How Craig is the worlds biggest liar and has stolen there money, or that he only cares about the icontrol pad now
3. How its the greatest machine off all time and they run there whole lives with it
4. That I should buy machine / device "xxxxx" instead because it so much better.

Basically I am looking for some good honest options on the machine, i.e. value for money, build quality, emulator availably,etc. Now that I have access to an ipad2 should I just wait till I can jailbreak it to install emualtors, etc or is there still a need for the Pandora

Thanks all
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Antiriad2097

Re: Has anyone here owned an Open Pandora

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:48 pm

The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:54 pm

Seen this?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32331
Yep but its a bit short on detail, if I am going to dork out £400ish on one I want some honest feedback about it
Rocky

Image Image

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:11 am

I've been hiding in the shadows reading Pandora forums for quite some time now as i've been tempted. I think if i was a Linux geek i might love the machine as thats one of its main selling points, Linux guys can do so much with it.

From an emulator point of view it does seem good, had a go of one on Replay and it played a lot of games. BUT granted you might not be bothered about the background story/history but i think its appalling how long people had to wait, i was so close to pre-ordering at the start, so glad i didnt.

Instead (like you) i went the iOS route and dont regret it one bit. Its a shame as i did want to support the 'underdog' and a machine buillt from homebrew fans dreams kinda thing but the huge long wait and the problems have totally put me off. Think the best thing to happen to the Pandora is that 'EvilDragon' (the german guy) is taking over all production and is hoping to start churning them out next month. I would be happy for him to get my money but not the original Pandora team/supplier.

Just feel its very expensive, sadly came out too late, now iOS and Android are huge i think its just going to be a niche little gadget for linux/emulator users.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:03 am

Before I familiarised myself with Ubuntu, I made a few postings on the OpenPandora forums asking some questions about the device, asking how easy it would be to use for someone only (then) familiar with Windows and Mac OS. I made the mistake of mentioning that Linux scared me.

Oh sweet Lord, you'd have thought I'd just threatened to punch them all in the face. I didn't stay around to bother trying to defend myself. It was especially amusing when they started fighting against each other.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Oh sweet Lord, you'd have thought I'd just threatened to punch them all in the face. I didn't stay around to bother trying to defend myself. It was especially amusing when they started fighting against each other.
Yep thats what seems to happen over there A LOT, you ask some simple questions and all hell breaks loose
Rocky

Image Image

andyB911

Post by andyB911 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi all,

I have a Pandora, and funnily enough came across this thread as was thinking of upgrading to the newest version and was googling for the address of the German distributor.

Not sure what kind of questions you have, but I'm happy to try to help.

Background... I have recevied retro gamer since the first issue, and in one of the relatively early editions there was an advert for a strange open source hand held called the gp32. That was distributed by Craig (of whom you have heard). He later also distributed the gp2x (which I also bought) and then decided to build his own.

Slightly off topic, but history is repeating itself as one of the Dingoo distributors is now creating his own device (the gcw zero which is just about to finish on kickstarter).

Anyway, the Pandora had a painfully slow birth, but despite that its great at what it does. I particularly use it for emulation of 8 bit home computers where the real keyboard makes all the difference.

The community are a mix of whingers and zealous fanboys but the software is mature, it is selling well now, is available and in store. I'd order from the Ed (Dragonbox) if you are worried about those stories about Craig.

You don't have to be a geek or Linux expert to use it, but a little IT ability is useful (but you can download software over wifi and have it self-install, so its not essential).

Any specific questions?

PS No idea why I'd never registered before, given the stacks and stacks of the magazine I've got.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:16 pm

Rocky..go for the JB on the Ipad2, I did about 2mths of owning one, and was one oF the best decisions to do so, and don listen to all that Ball0cks about infringing warranty or killing the device, the JB is software based not hardware, but battery power is compromised as an untethered JB runs in the startup of the device, so the 10hrs standard will become about 7-8hrs now, a small price to pay..one thing I've can tell you, you can do a hell of lot more with the iPad after it's been JB'ed that for sure, a hell of lot more..but you'll have to research that yourself.

The benefits

One Word Imame4all (full Icade support), although a game under the name of Gridlee using the 0.39 build has been released on the apps store, you can obtain it legally, but the days are numbered for it up there, so we'll over look that one okay..MD.emu (full Icade support), PCE.emu(full Icade support), NeoGeo.Emu (full Icade support), AmigaPad(full Icade support), Snes A.D.X, GBC A.D.X, DosPad (dosbox emu) and I have most of the entire collections from most of these platforms inside the iPad, the Icade supported apps is what really makes it shine against all other platforms other than net books linked via 10" screens hacks, most of the machines covered here will not require updates after you've installed them, the AmigaPad is still been improved upon, the others are more of less good to go, Emu that are not available are C64, A8, Atari ST or Sega game gear, but the likes of wonder swan, Nes and neo geo pocket are available but I never tried them out or bothered with them, so if you have an IPad, I can't see any real definite reason why a pandora would serve to be a better choice here?, it's hardware is under powered by today's standard and the over the top pricing, simply makes it a £500 pocket calculator with perks, as great as it is, it's too expensive for what you'll use it for, hope this gives you some insight :)
↓↓Click Link to See More
[url=http://www.greyfoxbooks.com[/url]

andyB911

Post by andyB911 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:36 am

If you have an ipad, then icade is great.

But if you don't... for example your tablet is Android, then i don't think the icade will be practical (although I'd love to be proven otherwise and be able to use my Prime Transformer with it, but hard to be sure it will fit.)

As far as specs go though, I think the 1Ghz Pandora is probably about the same spec as the ipad 2, and as you can easily overclock, arguably better. Clearly ipad3/4 are ahead in the numbers race.

I'm not implying its 'cutting edge', but for retro emulation its more than capable - PS1 is good, as apparently is N64 (although no first hand experience). It does MAME, Amiga and all the main 8 bits as well. The keyboard makes 8 bit home computer much better.

Horses for courses... but its more mini-computer than useless calculator. But agree that if you want to focus on MAME and have an ipad already, then icade wins.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:11 am

just a heads up here is a list of IOS Emu's you can get when you do the JB.

1. NES (available)
2. GBA (available)
3. PSX (available)
4. MAME (available)
5. Genesis (available)
6. ScummVM (available)
7. NeoGeo pocket/ Pocket color
8. SNES (available)
9. Gameboy (available)
10. Gameboy Color (available)
11. TurboGrafx (available)
12. Early Mac OS (available)
13. N64 (available)
14. Windows 98 (available)
15. Neo Geo
16. AmigaPad

as of yet , no one has ported any real 8bit or 16bit computer systems, which is a shame :(, but the Pandora can handle these these with ease, plus you have the homebrew scene too on Pandora if that interests you..

@Andy, Overclocking a Pandora can have disastrous effects on the hardware and can result in a board burn out, the 1GHz dual-core Apple A5 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip serves perfectly for what is thrown at it, doesn't actually need to be over clocked and yes my statement regarding it as a Calculator was a little unfair, you are of course correct a mini-computer and would love one myself, but not at £500+ :(
↓↓Click Link to See More

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:18 am

what exactly is a pandora ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:25 am

snowkatt wrote:what exactly is a pandora ?
get enlightened here : http://www.openpandora.org/
↓↓Click Link to See More

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:34 am

impressive
but my god is it expensive even the refurbished version is 270

id be more interested in its native gaming parts though then emulation
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:48 am

The Open pandora is the ultimate pocket computer to date with all the trimmings..but until they get completely realistic with there pricing and production, it's simply for diehards only and people with deep pockets, and let be honest, if you have money, your gonna go for an Ipad or a high end Mac Book Pro , your not gonna get one of these..and have to say they are pretty convinced that the community will buy into it no matter what..other than the fact I've followed Pandora from near day one, it has never had any exposure in magazines as such or any type of advertisement in the public, sure you didn't even know what it was..case proved..

again the Pandora is a brilliant piece of kit, but out of the reach of allot of people's income or simply not viable to purchase when there is other incredible and far cheaper alternatives out there.
↓↓Click Link to See More

andyB911

Post by andyB911 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 am

Greyfox wrote:
snowkatt wrote:what exactly is a pandora ?
get enlightened here : http://www.openpandora.org/
In a nut-shell... its DS sized, Linux, open source 'mini-computer'. However, the killer feature is that it has gaming controls.

It has d-pad, analogue sticks and shoulder buttons, thus making it great for homebrew and emulation.

The phrase 'designed by retro gamers for retro gamers' comes to mind. But the fact that so few people here have heard of it, is both sad and unsurprising. Its built by hobbyists with limited funds, not a multi-national.

It is expensive and niche - but making small batches of hardware is expensive. Take a look - if you can afford it, I'd recommend it! If you can't afford it, but still fancy seeing what the open-source / Linux / hand-held emulation community is like, take a look at the GCW Zero (on kickstarter) or the Cannoo (if you can find anywhere still selling it.)