Defining PC Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bobinator

Re: Defining PC Games

Post by Bobinator » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:47 pm

Three games spring to mind for me, honestly:

Duke Nukem. The original, long, long before all the strippers and the one-liners, back when all Duke wanted to do was kill a mad scientist so he could go home and watch Oprah. It was hardly the first of the platformers on the PC, but what it did do was prove that the PC could handle console-style action just as well as any other computer, it just took people who knew how to use it. The sequel would polish things even further.

Doom: Obvious, sure, but this is the game that spawned more imitators than anybody could possibly count. I'd say it was at this point when PC gaming really took supremacy, mostly because it took years for any other computer to offer Doom. Not only that, but with all the maps and mods in there, many of which dramatically change the way the game plays, it's a game that only gets better with age.

King's Quest: A game that spawned an entirely new genre. Sure, these days it's nearly unplayable due to its interface and obtuse puzzles, but at the time, this was worlds beyond most of the simple text adventures that had cornered the market. And with this being the father of such classics as Monkey Island, I'd say this was definately a defining moment.
Last edited by Bobinator on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:50 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote:Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Command & Conquer (Tiberium Sun, personally), Freespace 1 & 2, Descent, Imperium Galactica 2, Freelancer, Half Life (not a fan personally tbh), Counter-Strike (pre-source), Homeworld, Homeworld Cataclysm, System Shock 2, Thief 2, Deus Ex, Aliens Vs Predator, Mechwarriror 2, 3 & 4 & various expansions, MechCommander 2, Civ 2 etc etc. In a nutshell, RTS, earlier-FPS, Resource Management & spaceship games.
...but not RPG's? :shock:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:43 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
SJ_Sathanas wrote:Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Command & Conquer (Tiberium Sun, personally), Freespace 1 & 2, Descent, Imperium Galactica 2, Freelancer, Half Life (not a fan personally tbh), Counter-Strike (pre-source), Homeworld, Homeworld Cataclysm, System Shock 2, Thief 2, Deus Ex, Aliens Vs Predator, Mechwarriror 2, 3 & 4 & various expansions, MechCommander 2, Civ 2 etc etc. In a nutshell, RTS, earlier-FPS, Resource Management & spaceship games.
...but not RPG's? :shock:
Nah I could nevefr get into them and I did try. I must have started Planescape about 3 times but just never got into it. I was still "coming down" off of Final Fantasy 7 no doubt.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:49 pm

koopa42 wrote:
the_hawk wrote:Championship Manager: Season 00/01 - Still to my mind the greatest Football management sim that gets the balance just right. Everything before or since has been either too simplistic or too unnecessarily overbearing.
Close ..... but no. Champ Manager 3 is teh bestest! I do play both version still though and without doubt have played more compiled hours on those 2 titles than any other (possibly combined?).
Ah, but CM3 didn't have the (Northern) Irish League.
:wink:
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:51 pm

The games which defined PC gaming for me.

Doom series
Wing Commander series
Transport Tycoon
D.I.D flight sims from T.F.X onwards
Command & Conquer series
Rollercoaster Tycoon series
X-Wing
Dark Forces
GTA 1&2 played these on my 3dfx PC, then played the ps1 version... :shock: slow motion came to mind!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:52 pm

It was the games (especially the sequels) that wern't made, were unable to be made, or were considerably worse on the 'miggy than on PC.

For FPS I would say the early Lucasarts (or was it still Lucasfilm?) Star Wars game Dark Forces. It was Star Wars, so naturally you wanted to play it - but had to have a PC to do so. Doom and it's ilk were great games, but the Star Wars moniker made DF something special.

For point n click - well, the 'miggy had ruled the roost until Lucasarts brought out classics like DOTT, Sam & Max, but above all Curse of Monkey Island. Sure it wasn't the best , but after playing the first two you HAD to play the thrird - and you needed a PC to do so.

For point 'n' click it was Red Alert. Those before (specifically Dune II and C&C) helped shaped the genre, but RA defined it. Pure brilliance - and again PC only.

Wing Commander was a game that 'miggy tried to copy on several occasions (eg Epic), but none came close to the PC original. Eventually we got a port, but the less said about it the better.

Then there were the graphic adventures - Little Big Adventure, Alone in the Dark, but above all Ecstatica, were all games that were simply impossible to port to Amiga , and it made our machine seem even more of a toy. Here was a machine chucking out serious, adult titles whilst we were left with Zeewolf and (whilst brilliant) arcade shooters.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:02 pm

On the RPG front, how about Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore? I'd have said they were the next big step forward after things like Dungeon Master and the Gold Box games.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:04 pm

Good question!

I would start with Sierra's Quest games - King's Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry and Quest for Glory (aka Hero's Quest). They're pretty much all I played back in the early DOS days. That's not to say Sierra had the adventure market to itself. Lucasarts made some amazing PC games, many of which were PC exclusive, like Sam and Max, The Dig and Full Throttle. And then there were those "other" adventure games like Star Trek TNG A Final Unity, The Neverhood, Noctropolis and Ripper. Ripper, of course, made heavy use of FMV, which is something else the PC pioneered.

There's also those unique little arcade style games like Alley Cat, Bouncing Babies, Round 42 and Paratrooper. The PC also got excellent (I would argue definitive) ports of Karateka, Prince of Persia, Thexder and Silpheed.

Simulation games are pretty much unique to the PC as well. Stuff like Microsoft's Flight Simulator, the Microprose flight sims like F-19. Lucasarts' X-wing and TIE-Figher games. Driving sims like Test Drive, Stunts and the incredibly detailed Geoff Crammond F1 games. "4X" strategy games like Civilization. And you can't talk sim games without mentioning Maxis' games like Simcity 2000, Sim Tower and The Sims. Then there's random stuff like life sim/board game Jones Life in the Fast Lane, Dungeon Keeper and Theme Hospital.

Which brings me on to Bullfrog. They made some cracking games for the PC, like Magic Carpet and Hioctane. Then there's future EA stablemates Origin Systems, who were not only responsible for the epic Ultima, but also the Wing Commander series.

Hell, even the edutainment games were awesome, with games like Super Solvers: Challenge of the Ancient Empires and Life and Death 2 - The brain. I mean, who doesn't want to have a go at brain surgery?

Then you get on to the shareware revolution, spearheaded by Apogee. Stuff like Wolf 3D, Duke Nukem, Heretic, Commander Keen, Rise of the Triad, Whacky Wheels, Raptor and Halloween Harry. DooM came out of the shareware scene too and, of course, went on to become the poster child for PC gaming and spawned a legion of FPS games. DooM, Duke 3D, Quake, Unreal, Deus Ex, Half Life, the list goes on and on.

Lets not forget the RTS genre too. Dune 2, Warcraft, Command and Conquer and Starcraft. Which brings me on to Blizzard and their Diablo games. Not to mention World of Warcraft.

I could go on and on, really.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Wolfenstein 3D. A great game that did textured 3D in a first-person viewed shooter that set the template for an increasing majority of unoriginal moronic loud gun-obsessed homo-erotic beefcake fantasist flag-waving drivel that we have to put up with over and over again.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:20 pm

Wow the PC fanboys are having a field day!
As stated by Darran don't mention games that were on other formats first I.e Prince of Persia...so what's somebody just mentioned lol
Simulation games weren't unique to the PC at all! Most home computers had them.
Btw "Edutainment" is a sick word! U need help!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:28 pm

AmigaJay wrote:Wow the PC fanboys are having a field day!
As stated by Darran don't mention games that were on other formats first I.e Prince of Persia...so what's somebody just mentioned lol
Simulation games weren't unique to the PC at all! Most home computers had them.
Btw "Edutainment" is a sick word! U need help!
I did mention its a port right there in my post. I only mentioned it because its the first version I played and I think the PC version deserves a mention.

We don't get very many PC threads around here. Can't we just be fanboys just this once?

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:04 pm

Where to start!

First for me was X-Wing Alliance. It took everything great about TIE Fighter and X-WING, and multiplied it. And who wouldn't want to fight at the battle of Endor? Next is undoubtedly DOOM/DOOM II. It took FPS' to the next level, after WOLF 3D, which was also awesome. I want to echo other statements about DOTT, Sam & Max, Wing Commander, Duke 3D, GTA and Carmageddon. I want to add Diablo II to the mix as well. It took rpg's into a new, action-orientated direction, with one-click fighting, and it was a very deep game to boot. Ever time you loaded up the game, the map was different, and no two maps were the same. I also want to add to the the Lords of Destruction add on as well.

One game I haven't seen mentioned, is Ghost Master. Basically a remake of EA's Haunting, but gave you more ghosts, ghoulies, and putting it into a rts style. Over looked, but is really good fun.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:25 am

theantmeister wrote: I did mention its a port right there in my post. I only mentioned it because its the first version I played and I think the PC version deserves a mention.

We don't get very many PC threads around here. Can't we just be fanboys just this once?
Lol yes go on then! I did see a couple of you went to town after being starved of PC threads! :lol:
Btw I think most versions of POP deserve a mention, not least the 8-bit versions for being so accurate to the original, 16-bit wise the late coming Megadrive version looks the best.

Oh another PC game I loved Theme Hospital! Carmageddon was great fun killing pedestrians, as a racing game it was pretty naff though!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:39 am

Since we're not going to get Prince of Persia, how about Prince of Persia II? That was definitely a PC game first.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:50 am

Oh! Unreal Tournament! how could I forget ?! UT2004 was my favourite. I still have some of the music on my phone.