What size TV did you play on?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroAerosmith

Re: What size TV did you play on?

Post by RetroAerosmith » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:35 pm

i think i tried game mode tbh, just made it darker i think. i havent tried any dvds as ive only a scart connection so wont see much difference. HD channels though look magnificent. i have tried movie files which looked "plastic" but they were downloaded MKV files on a memory usb so i expect them to look naff on a large screen.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:37 pm

^ You talking about that MotionPlus thing?
A friend of a friend had an LG with that feature, just makes everything look like it's running slightly too quickly like some 1920's film.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:35 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:^ You talking about that MotionPlus thing?
A friend of a friend had an LG with that feature, just makes everything look like it's running slightly too quickly like some 1920's film.
Yeah, that's the one. I would love to know who thinks that censored looks good??
RetroAerosmith wrote:i think i tried game mode tbh, just made it darker i think. i havent tried any dvds as ive only a scart connection so wont see much difference. HD channels though look magnificent. i have tried movie files which looked "plastic" but they were downloaded MKV files on a memory usb so i expect them to look naff on a large screen.
I'm afraid that plastic look affects DVDs and Blu rays.

As I understand it, the TV takes your traditional 24fps movie and fudges it up to a "smoother" 30fps (or something). TV is already 30fps, which is why it looks fine, but it makes films look like a cheap soap opera.

Going off on a slight tangent, I hear The Hobbit is being filmed at a higher frame rate. It'll be interesting to see what that looks like!

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:56 am

MattyC64c wrote:
theantmeister wrote:I was lucky enough to have a 26" TV in my bedroom as a kid. It was my parents' old TV, which they in turn got from my grandparents. A real heirloom :mrgreen:

While it was cool to have a TV that big, it only supported PAL-50. Over RF. Also, imagine how cool it was to have a US SNES (already hideous) on top of this:

:lol:
If anyone wonders why they used to refer to TV's and the like as 'Brown goods', just look at the old sets from the 70's and their fake woodgrain finishes.
butal, isnt this one of those 1960's tv's where the whole sqaure eyes thing started off because the old CRT tvs gave of radiation :lol:

i had something like this but in white plastic and more curved but same make and buttons ect http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=pye+tv ... :100,i:130 haha this served me well from the early 90';s up untill 2001 maybe
This guy are sick

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:05 am

Going off on a slight tangent, I hear The Hobbit is being filmed at a higher frame rate. It'll be interesting to see what that looks like!
The Hobbit has been filmed at 48fps, which supposedly makes for a smoother experience when viewing in 3D. People who saw early footage in 2D were not impressed as the footage looked over-exposed and 'unreal'. This was early footage though, so I would assume that full post production (including colour grading, etc) had not been completed.

As a side note legendary anime 'Akira' was animated at 48fps to produce a smoother effect.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:03 am

fond memories of my 14inch Matsui TV which got me through the PS1 and PS2 days until it died and i moved onto another CRT up untill i got my x360

Spector

Post by Spector » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:12 am

I had an old 12" B&W for the bedroom up to Xmas 1988 when I got a Fidelity TV, an Amstrad product. Being the spawn of Sugar, it went bust just over a year later. Just as Scotland were about to score a try against France in the 1990 5 Nations... kaput! Got it fixed but it made a dreadful high pitched noise that gave me a headache. Got a better 14" TV with PAL-60 so I could play an American VCS, but with the wrong colours. Then that TV exploded internally causing a huge flash, this time while watching Federer v Nadal in 2005 at the French Open. Dunno if sports events cause TVs to go bust. Since then, I've used a great little 14" Panasonic telly with full NTSC compatibility that I still have. In fact, I saw quite a few of these TVs at the 2011 Replay event.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 pm

a 15 inch phillips ( i think )
and from 1997 or so until 2007 i used 55 cm (diagonally ) crt's usually samsungs
it wasnt untill 2007 that i finally went flatscreen and widescreen

which is why i generally didnt like widescreen all that much because i already had to give up so much screen real estate that a widescreen movie took up one third of the screen
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:05 am

I used to use as a kid a 14" Sony, then with my own money upgraded to a 21" Sony and a 28" Sony widescreen(all CRT) my first LCD was a 32" Samsung which did me proud for a long time. Now I run a Panasonic TXP42ST50 plasma. Never had a picture on a TV so good :shock:

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:51 pm

First tellly I had specifically for gaming was some crappy old 14" B&W portable, It certainly added a new dimension to playing Rescue on Fractalus.