Photo's of your retro collection.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Photo's of your retro collection.

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:02 am

People. Please do not feed the troll.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:People. Please do not feed the troll.
Sigh. I happen to think the packaging and art design of the majority of Ultimate Play The Game's output for the Speccy, particularly after their first couple of games, to be far more appealing than the majority of games published by other companies before or since. I'm not a fan of the cutesy cartoon art designs which feature on Japanese games more than games from other regions of the world. I apologise for having an opinion which I suspect is shared by many others here too. The original comment was quite obviously made in good humour, hence the exclamation mark used.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:37 pm

Use the winky if it's in 'good humour'. Otherwise you just look like you're strirring up trouble mate.

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:19 pm

A more recent compilation of my stuff. Some things are missing, either because I got them after taking the pictures or I just forgot, or they weren't relevant. Such as: Atari 1040 STe, +2 Spectrum (grey), Gamecubes x6, spare 2600's.........and so on......

48k is modded for composite video. Also added a light.

DivIDE interface for the Spectrum(s).

A500 is currently stored in the loft as it needs a new floppy drive.

4MB ram expansion & CF card in the 1200. Replaced all capacitors.

S-Video mod for the Atari 2600

BBC Master has a TurboMMC card.

My main DC is VGA modded, has a blue light, new battery, region-free bios chip and fixed the reset problem.

Backlit screen.

TV output mod for the Game Gear. Also has a controller port.

Main MD1 has 50/60hz, language & overclock switches and all capacitors have been replaced. Both MD1's are C-Sync modded (no jailbars). "Genesis" 2 actually has an MD2 motherboard inside set to 60hz as the Genesis picture quality was rubbish. Mega CD has a region-free bios chip and I've changed some of the capacitors and the battery.

Put a 68010 CPU in the other MD1.

An old picture. I have several N64's. My main ones are: NTSC RGB modded x2, PAL (French) RGB modded, my original (that goes with the box) and one with extra lights in for no reason.

I won the steering wheel from 64 magazine.

Swapped the NES motherboard for an NTSC one. Don't ask about the games.

Blue one is a debug model which plays CD-R's without a modchip.

Model 2 Saturn is currently out of action. Just fitted a region-free bios chip in the model 1 the other day. Already has a 60hz switch, obviously.

Both Master Systems are wired to 60hz. RGB mod on the MS2, which now gives a better picture quality than the MS1.

60hz & region mods, as usual.

Some miscellaneous controllers/joysticks. BBC Micro one on the left, specially modified Amiga & Atari MD controllers and a couple of other joysticks.

LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:23 pm

That last picture doesn't look, you know, safe.

They are cool pictures like don't get me wrong, that's only the second time I've seen a game gear that has been modded to hook up to a telly.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:08 pm

@ Vy: I swear I just saw those fine pics elsewhere! :D
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Use the winky if it's in 'good humour'. Otherwise you just look like you're strirring up trouble mate.
Fair enough. I think the 'winking' emoticon can sometimes look like it's intended as sarcasm. Interesting how different people can interpret the use of one emoticon I suppose.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:31 pm

Wink
Verb
To close and open one eye quickly, typically to indicate that something is a joke or a secret or as a signal of affection or greeting.
Only you could think a wink is sarcasm, mate. :wink:
That Ultimate collection looked awesome BTW.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:06 pm

gman72 wrote:Wink
Verb
To close and open one eye quickly, typically to indicate that something is a joke or a secret or as a signal of affection or greeting.
Only you could think a wink is sarcasm, mate. :wink:
Your contribution is much appreciated, mate. :wink:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:20 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Sigh. I happen to think the packaging and art design of the majority of Ultimate Play The Game's output for the Speccy, particularly after their first couple of games, to be far more appealing than the majority of games published by other companies before or since. I'm not a fan of the cutesy cartoon art designs which feature on Japanese games more than games from other regions of the world. I apologise for having an opinion which I suspect is shared by many others here too. The original comment was quite obviously made in good humour, hence the exclamation mark used.
Well you shouldn't need to apologise for having an opinion but I suspect if you'd have used the word 'games' instead of 'tat', nobody would have cared. Calling something 'tat' will only ever be seen as derogatory and in this case it was completely unnecessary.

Anyway...

@Vyothric: brilliant pics. Great to see some 3DO/Jag/CDi stuff and so many controllers for each console!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:27 pm

Megamixer wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
Well you shouldn't need to apologise for having an opinion but I suspect if you'd have used the word 'games' instead of 'tat', nobody would have cared. Calling something 'tat' will only ever be seen as derogatory and in this case it was completely unnecessary.
That's a fair point. I would have hoped my use of the exclamation mark was sufficient indication that it was intended as light humour and so not to be taken literally. Thank you for your opinion though.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:04 pm

Yeah, cause exclamation marks are THE indicator for humor...

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:22 pm

hydr0x wrote:Yeah, cause exclamation marks are THE indicator for humor...
An interesting observation.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:26 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote: I happen to think the packaging and art design of the majority of Ultimate Play The Game's output for the Speccy, particularly after their first couple of games, to be far more appealing than the majority of games published by other companies before or since.
I have always thought this, the wonderful art could go some way to make up for the duffers like Imhotep.

Thanks for the kind comments guys, I am rather proud of the collection, I have enjoyed collecting these over the years, I got the Spectrum ones at the time, all the rest in the last five years or so, it was the MSX versions that proved the most elusive.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:29 pm

hydr0x wrote:Yeah, cause exclamation marks are THE indicator for humor...
I didn't think they had humour in Germany anyway :lol:

But seriously can we just cut out this childish sniping and get back to the topic at hand please?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:36 pm

adippm82 wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote: I happen to think the packaging and art design of the majority of Ultimate Play The Game's output for the Speccy, particularly after their first couple of games, to be far more appealing than the majority of games published by other companies before or since.
I have always thought this, the wonderful art could go some way to make up for the duffers like Imhotep.

Thanks for the kind comments guys, I am rather proud of the collection, I have enjoyed collecting these over the years, I got the Spectrum ones at the time, all the rest in the last five years or so, it was the MSX versions that proved the most elusive.
Indeed you should be proud of what is undoubtedly a stunning collection. I'm very seldom envious when seeing others members' games collections on here but your collection of Ultimate games was definitely one of the few occasions I have been. All in such excellent condition too. Superb. :D
The Laird wrote:But seriously can we just cut out this childish sniping and get back to the topic at hand please?
We can but hope.