Much more DOS and old PC gaming coverage please!!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kleinemaus

Re: Much more DOS and old PC gaming coverage please!!

Post by kleinemaus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:24 pm

Bought a Jaguar on day of release, tried to buy the pre-ordered versions sold at Virgins, but they were all gone of course.
Still got the receipt, Daniel, Windsor, 2 July 94, GBP 229,99, maybe not day of release but very close.

And I still got my UK Jaguar Owners Club Newsletters

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:41 pm

kleinemaus wrote:Bought a Jaguar on day of release, tried to buy the pre-ordered versions sold at Virgins, but they were all gone of course.
Still got the receipt, Daniel, Windsor, 2 July 94, GBP 229,99, maybe not day of release but very close.

And I still got my UK Jaguar Owners Club Newsletters
Totally off-topic but that is awesome that you still have all of that!

I pre-ordered mine from Telegames so I actually got it in 1993! Cost me £249.99 for my trouble though and it was a long wait for the games.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:07 pm

Got 3 more pc game articles in the pipeline thanks to some emails sent last week.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:10 pm

jdanddiet wrote:Got 3 more pc game articles in the pipeline thanks to some emails sent last week.
That's great. Any hints as to the subjects?

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:10 pm

Horror. Shooting. Even Horror and Shooting!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:10 pm

Barbie?

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:19 pm

kleinemaus wrote:Barbie?
Oi! Have you been looking at my emails?

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:28 pm

I agree entirely there needs to be much, much more DOS and PC coverage. It'd be a nice change from hearing about Manic Miner, or Dizzy, or some other Spectrum game in every issue. It'd be nice to have a change, and you know what? The fact that not many people around here know about DOS would only make it a better idea. See, this would be something entirely new for people to look into, so that alone would be a major reason to have more DOS coverage.

I will admit that the PC had a bad start, but once it got going, there's no doubt in my mind that it could do anything the Amiga and the ST could, and better. Look at all the cheap Doom ripoffs that came out on the Amiga for proof of that.

Hell, I'm half tempted to write up a thing on Apogee or Epic to get some coverage in there myself, now.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:35 am

Bobinator wrote:I agree entirely there needs to be much, much more DOS and PC coverage. It'd be a nice change from hearing about Manic Miner, or Dizzy, or some other Spectrum game in every issue. It'd be nice to have a change, and you know what? The fact that not many people around here know about DOS would only make it a better idea. See, this would be something entirely new for people to look into, so that alone would be a major reason to have more DOS coverage.

I will admit that the PC had a bad start, but once it got going, there's no doubt in my mind that it could do anything the Amiga and the ST could, and better. Look at all the cheap Doom ripoffs that came out on the Amiga for proof of that.

Hell, I'm half tempted to write up a thing on Apogee or Epic to get some coverage in there myself, now.
To run Doom decently on a PC in late 1993 you needed a 486DX/50 which back then cost £1500-£2000 Of course it could outdo an Amiga! though of course you had to put with the crap that was DROS for another couple of years! Doom aside there wasn't many PC games I wanted until the Playstation arrived in 1995 then I could play the best of PC games for £299! Cheaper than upgrading a PC back then....
Btw I admit the original Doom is still the best, but there were plenty of cheap Doom rip offs on every format, though you can run Doom on the Amiga 1200 with 030/50mhz showing if you add hardware to any format it can run any game :wink:

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:54 am

Thing with the pc; there was just so much avaliable for it. It really catered to the niche while consoles would inevitably cater for whatever was popular in it's time. Granted I haven't played any PC games in about 6 years so I don't know how things are now.

Weird to think I bought my first pc about 12 years ago! Actually, yeah, that would be about right- 2000/2001-ish.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:15 am

we need much less DOS and old PC coverage, not more

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:26 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:we need much less DOS and old PC coverage, not more
Care to elucidate why, or are you just trolling?

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:08 pm

AmigaJay wrote:To run Doom decently on a PC in late 1993 you needed a 486DX/50 which back then cost £1500-£2000
Really? I bought a second hand 486 DX66 with 8 MB RAM (still have it here) in late 1994 for £500 for university, and it ran Doom fine for me. By this token, did I get a bargain then?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Matt_B wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:we need much less DOS and old PC coverage, not more
Care to elucidate why, or are you just trolling?
Tch, you expect people to be able to back up their opinions? Clearly that'd be ENTIRELY too much trouble! Having reasons for liking or disliking things is for dorks. Now work faster, drone, that Matthew Smith shrine isn't going to polish itself! All hail Sir Clive! Sir Clive is life!

(Also, honestly, I'm leaning towards the second theory.)

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:34 am

The fact that people are quoting Doom as being the game where PC gaming took off shows how bloody unaware a lot of you are about the history of PC gaming and the brilliant titles and developers that make up that history.

The PC has a history as rich as the Spectrum, Amstrad or Amiga platforms right from the early 80s onwards, and tens of thousands of games over that time. The technical innovations and hardware hacks that were discovered/created on the PC could fill several issues of Retro Gamer.

The Amiga was utterly brilliant, but the PC was competing with and outdoing the Amiga in a lot of cases well before 486s and Doom came along.