3 favourite consoles when it comes to the..

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DreamcastRIP

Re: 3 favourite consoles when it comes to the..

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:36 pm

killbot wrote:
theantmeister wrote:These are all relatively innocuous designs that are modelled to look like something that might actually belong under your TV. Stuff like the Megadrive or SNES look like children's toys.
They are children's toys! Gaming started becoming too po-faced when consoles started looking like pieces of stereo equipment.
Given that the first mass produced successful games console released back in 1977 kinda ressembled such a thing then... :mrgreen:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:37 pm

PC Engine Shuttle
Panasonic 3DO
MD+MCD Stack

Worst
C64GS
PS3
NGAGE
Going Solo...................

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:33 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
killbot wrote:
theantmeister wrote:These are all relatively innocuous designs that are modelled to look like something that might actually belong under your TV. Stuff like the Megadrive or SNES look like children's toys.
They are children's toys! Gaming started becoming too po-faced when consoles started looking like pieces of stereo equipment.
Given that the first mass produced successful games console released back in 1977 kinda ressembled such a thing then... :mrgreen:
To be fair, the 2600 is a beautiful thing - in fact I listed it as one of my 3. But I liked the MD and SNES precisely because they were unpretentious. They looked like toys because they were toys - brilliant toys. There was no pretence at being something more. That only came with the CD-i and 3DO and their insistance on looking like high end stereo equipment and playing 'interactive movies'. Y'know, because 'fun' is, like, so childish, innit?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:02 pm

Best (not in order)

1. JVC Wondermega
2. Sega Megadrive
3. Hello Kitty Dreamcast - can someone please post a pic, as I don't know how to add images!

Worst

1. Atari Lynx II
2. Sega Megadrive II
3. Xbox

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:11 pm

I'm only gonna nominate machines I've owned or encountered via a pal etc.

Best:

1. NEC PC Engine, peerless.
2. Sega MD
3. Sega MS

Worst:

1. US Snes
2. NES
3. Original PS3

Eat your nans pants

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:20 pm

Got to be an Atari woody followed by a megadrive mk mcd mk1 combo and in third i would have to go for the pc engine.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:27 pm

Best
Atari 2600 woody
Atari Jaguar
Vectrex

Worst
Turbo Grafx 16
Colecovision
Master System II

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:45 pm

tricky because i dont really like the design of many consoles

best :

the dreamcast : simple small elegant

the multimega : same as the dreamcast just portable ( ish ) and in black

the cube : its name is not a lie it is a cube it has some striking symetrical lines in a modern art sculpture kind of way could have done with out the handle though

worst :

the jaguar : the jaguar with the cd attached to it has an uncanny resembelance to a toilet

the ps2 slim : the playstation 2 already doesnt have the greatets design ( it looks like a bass booster to be honest ) but the slim is just a miniature version of that with awkward button placing

the xbox 1 : its huge its a box with an x on it and its bloody ugly its the size of a vcr and when dead its a door stop
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:25 pm

Bit of a toughy really, but if pushed I suppose...

1. PC Engine, elegant and simple, just a shame about the layout of the input and output sockets.
2. xBox360 Black. Smooth and sleek. Wireless everything, and the hub of my gaming.
3. Can't decide between 2 of Nintendo's finest here.. Gameboy Advance Micro NES edition, Beutiful, iconic and cute if a little uncomfortable after prolonged play. Either that, or the original NES. There's something about the old breeze-block which appeals to me. Stark clean lines, solid, no fuss grey and black colour scheme. I used to think they were pig ugly as a kid, but as my tastes have matured, I've come to appreciate it more.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:05 am

01-Multi-Mega

02-Neo Geo Pocket Color
That blue camouflage version, definitely! Lots nicer than the "Anthracite" version I got.

03-Nomad
Looks ugly at first glance, but when you stop to have a PROPER look at it, it doesn't do anything wrong (besides having the cartridge stick out the top, and having a massive battery pack on the back of it).

And the worst...

01-NES
02-PS2
03-Game Master
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:55 am

Best
- PlayStation 3 (original)
- NES
- Dreamcast

Worst
- Master System
- Xbox
- 3DO

Flint

Post by Flint » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:26 pm

Best: Gameboy Micro

Worst: Gameboy Micro with e-reader

Oh yeah top 3... let's say Megadrive and Atari 2600 to round it off.

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:28 pm

Best

1 - Nintendo 64
2 - SEGA Dreamcast
3 - Neo Geo CD

The ps3 and Super Nintendo (pal/Jap) just miss out

Worst

1 - Xbox (original)
2 - Nes
3 - Super Nintendo (US version)
"Time fades even legend..."

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Ahh the american SNES. What a thing of absolute beauty. It stirs up wonderful memories and I still get such a kick when I turn mine on.

Man, it is UGLY as hell though. What a disgusting console in terms of visual appeal. My love is purely nostalgia, it's more like a child that has been in a car crash. Love it all the same!

As for real best looking, hard to call but The PC Engine is probably the coolest looking machine ever made.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:23 pm

PC Engine. Gorgeous design that hasn't been bettered. Worst marketing idea to change that original beauty!
Vectrex. Still something special
GB Micro. I might be an old fart that struggles with the screen size, there's no denying that design though! :lol:

I generally like most machines design wise, the most ugly things seem to be the clones trying to pretend to be a popular machine! They do make you laugh though. While I love the Jag's original design, the drive attachment that gave it a toilet look and a media campaign attempting to give it the nickname 'The Crapper' made me laugh! :lol: