Strange/annoying design decisions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

killbot

Re: Strange/annoying design decisions

Post by killbot » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:40 am

DPrinny wrote:Cancelling Resident evil (Gameboy colour) and bringing out Resident evil gaiden in its place
Have you ever seen the game moving? It was an amazing technical feat, but as a game it would have been nigh-on unplayable. I think they were right to shelve it, though I undertstand Gaiden isn't a masterpiece either (I haven't played it myself).

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:02 am

Seen it moving, for what its on it dont look to bad.

Will have to track down a ROM of it and give it a go

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:32 pm

ZXSabreman wrote:The 3DO only having one controller port, so you had to plug controller 2 into the top of controller 1, the times I loosened my brothers pad if he was beating me at Samurai Showdown or Super SFII :shock:
It is strange but the pad does have a headphone jack with + volume control wheel so it makes up for it. Far easier to have the headphones plugged into the pad right in front of you than hoping they reach to the TV itself. 3DO pads also have very long cables too which is another plus.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:59 pm

Megamixer wrote:
ZXSabreman wrote:The 3DO only having one controller port, so you had to plug controller 2 into the top of controller 1, the times I loosened my brothers pad if he was beating me at Samurai Showdown or Super SFII :shock:
It is strange but the pad does have a headphone jack with + volume control wheel so it makes up for it. Far easier to have the headphones plugged into the pad right in front of you than hoping they reach to the TV itself. 3DO pads also have very long cables too which is another plus.
On that broad theme, there's Ninty's strange decisions with regard to the Famicom controllers.

Only player one's controller can pause a game and only player two's controller has audio controls. What the hell?!

Then, iirc, there's the fact they were cheapskates by hardwiring the controllers to the console. If one broke then, er, tough luck, you had to take the whole console along to be repaired and couldn't just buy a replacement pad instead! Heck, Atari got it right back in 1977 by having controllers with connectors that could be plugged in and removed. D'oh!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:23 pm

PC Engine Video output, and PSU input, being on opposite edges on either side of the console. The Composite output cable adapter is also the size of a Pritt stick. What would be a compact little system is marred ever so slightly by some twonk with the strange idea that you can't possibly have an output hanging out the back of a console, to line up with every other design concept on earth.
Also just remembered, the four port adapter dangles out the front, increasing the overall footprint from something the size of a Gameboy, to something the size of an xBox*!
While we're on the subject, how hard could it have been to include a second port actually on the console? I know gaming is sometimes a solitary pursuit, but for the sake of sibling harmony across the world, couldn't they have chucked a second port on there?

*slight exaggeration before I'm leapt on by a pedant, but it's still bloody annoying.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:46 pm

Iron Sights.

It made a bit of sense in WW2 shooters, but it's a modern trope that needs to die.
It's slowing down shooters to a friggin' CRAWL.

Imagine Doom 2 or Duke 3D and having to stop every few seconds to bring your gun up to your eye-line before firing? Fun! Modern! Stop!
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Freestyler wrote:Iron Sights.

It made a bit of sense in WW2 shooters, but it's a modern trope that needs to die.
It's slowing down shooters to a friggin' CRAWL.

Imagine Doom 2 or Duke 3D and having to stop every few seconds to bring your gun up to your eye-line before firing? Fun! Modern! Stop!
Iron sights in DOOM you say

retroman83

Post by retroman83 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:30 am

Gotta be the Game Boy Advance that came out with no back light innit?
They claimed it worked by angling it towards the sun or something random like that?

I dunno, my little brother used to have one. Terrible design.

SpykeXD

Post by SpykeXD » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Most of the bad decisions are for things I don't own, but I do think that the default American Atari 7800 controller is downright awful. The stick is very stiff and the buttons don't respond as quickly as I'd like them to. My biggest hardware complaint though is that the 3DS is not region-free.
If you can read this, you're too close to the screen

This is not the greatest and best signature in the world, this is only a tribute.

Like emulators? Join my Steam group! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/retro4life

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:57 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:On that broad theme, there's Ninty's strange decisions with regard to the Famicom controllers.

Only player one's controller can pause a game and only player two's controller has audio controls. What the hell?!

Then, iirc, there's the fact they were cheapskates by hardwiring the controllers to the console. If one broke then, er, tough luck, you had to take the whole console along to be repaired and couldn't just buy a replacement pad instead! Heck, Atari got it right back in 1977 by having controllers with connectors that could be plugged in and removed. D'oh!
There's also the insanely short length of the cables connecting them to the console. In fairness, Nintendo fixed all these problems when the machine was retooled for the western market.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:29 pm

retroman83 wrote:Gotta be the Game Boy Advance that came out with no back light innit?
They claimed it worked by angling it towards the sun or something random like that?

I dunno, my little brother used to have one. Terrible design.
Was about to say this. It's unusable to me these days.

The aforementioned on-console pause on the SMS. Ditto the dropping of the card slot and lack of composite output on the Mkii.

More recently, the inability to play Gamecube games with the Wii remote. Having got used to having it in a TV cabinet, playing with cabled pads (which I had to buy separately) was an enormous pain. There is a wireless solution, involving plugging a third party pad into the Wii remote, but it's unwieldy, not universally compatible, and more than a little ridiculous-looking. In the end I just bought a Gamecube.

All the Nintendo cartridge packaging. I love the Gameboy carts and their cases, but the cardboard packaging was terrible.

Going back further, the expansion at the rear of the Acorn Electron was far too flimsy. I got a joystick one birthday, and the convoluted method of attaching it broke the connector almost immediately. The power adapters were also very weak around the wire protruding from the top - I went through a few of these back in the day.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:53 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:On that broad theme, there's Ninty's strange decisions with regard to the Famicom controllers.

Add to that the insanely short length of the pads cables (so annoying when I replayed the Rockman series through with it last year) and the fact that the mic on the second pad could interfer with the games sound if it wasn't turned all the way down :evil:

Other things off the top of my head are the 360 and its damn HDD's. I don't want to pay over the odds for a big hard drive (which really isn't that big compared to PC HDD's) so I'm limited to using a couple of cheap 16gig USB sticks to boost my storage capacity (because 16gig is the largest size MS let you use!). Sony got it right by letting me use a dirt cheap 500gig laptop HDD to replace my old one.

Oh, and the Wii U's controllers battery life. Its so short, a couple of sessions playing something like Ninja Gaiden and the thing will need charging again! Sure I have a power socket right next to me when playing but its just another annoying thing to have to remember (last thing I want is it crapping out mid battle!)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:54 am

ShadowMan wrote: Oh, and the Wii U's controllers battery life. Its so short, a couple of sessions playing something like Ninja Gaiden and the thing will need charging again! Sure I have a power socket right next to me when playing but its just another annoying thing to have to remember (last thing I want is it crapping out mid battle!)
On a similar theme, the 3DS battery life is really doing my head in at the moment. I'm currently playing Paper Mario on it and it's one of those games that you can really get absorbed by...until the battery keeps running out and the thing takes ages to re-charge :roll: . I should be used to it though really as a PSP owner and all but still...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:16 pm

killbot wrote:

There's also the insanely short length of the cables connecting them to the console. In fairness, Nintendo fixed all these problems when the machine was retooled for the western market.
Except I'm referring to the Famicom, not the NES. In fairness, the point I was making about the Famicom controllers being hardwired to the console was something Atari got right back in 1977 seven years before the Famicom was launched in Japan so what the hell Ninty were playing at by not doing something so clearly correct as what Atari did is anyones guess. Well, I say that, but I suspect the decision was a result of their penny pinching ways.
ShadowMan wrote:Add to that the insanely short length of the pads cables (so annoying when I replayed the Rockman series through with it last year) and the fact that the mic on the second pad could interfer with the games sound if it wasn't turned all the way down :evil:

Other things off the top of my head are the 360 and its damn HDD's. I don't want to pay over the odds for a big hard drive (which really isn't that big compared to PC HDD's) so I'm limited to using a couple of cheap 16gig USB sticks to boost my storage capacity (because 16gig is the largest size MS let you use!). Sony got it right by letting me use a dirt cheap 500gig laptop HDD to replace my old one.

Oh, and the Wii U's controllers battery life. Its so short, a couple of sessions playing something like Ninja Gaiden and the thing will need charging again! Sure I have a power socket right next to me when playing but its just another annoying thing to have to remember (last thing I want is it crapping out mid battle!)
Controller cables of such a short length can indeed be an annoyance. Interesting what you said there with regard to the second controller's mic. A design flaw of course compounded by the fact one couldn't unplug the controller (so to not have that problem) due to Ninty's decision to hardwire it to the console. A double screw-up!

I don't know enough about the Xbox 360 to pass comment on that but Sony are hardly free from blame in that regard either. The price of PSP proprietary memory cards until third-party manufacturers started selling them and the currently obscene price of PS Vita proprietary memory cards, anyone?!

As for the Wii U Gamepad's battery life between recharges it's not something that's annoyed me yet (there's still time!) but what does annoy me is that ridiculous amount of time the damn thing takes to recharge. Approximately 2.5 hours, iirc, was how long it took the last time I recharged it. I believe the user manual states this figure too. That's via the mains too, i.e. not via one of those third-party USB cables. The damn thing takes nearly as long to recharge as the batteries last when the Gamepad is in use. Grrrr! Yes, I know the Gamepad can be used while it's recharging (before someone points that out) but I don't want the cable hanging out the back when using it, especially when playing games that require the Gamepad's tilt controls be used.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:48 pm

For me, it'd be the Gamecube controller. It just feels so... limited, I guess, compared to any other controller near it. You can't push in the analog stick, the face button are arranged in such a weird angle, and it's basically missing something on the other end of the Z button on the top, which means you're basically working with one less button than any other system of the time.

And yet, I don't mind the N64 controller all that much. Don't ask me why.