3 favourite consoles when it comes to the..

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: 3 favourite consoles when it comes to the..

Post by The Laird » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:04 pm

Rayne wrote:
The Laird wrote:Easy one . . .

Atari Jaguar
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My three? I don't know. I suppose the Neo Geo Pocket Colour, Grey Japanese Sega Saturn & White Panzer Dragoon Xbox
Well it did win a major award for its design so I can't be the only one who liked it :wink:

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:06 pm

The Laird wrote:
Rayne wrote:
The Laird wrote:Easy one . . .

Atari Jaguar
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My three? I don't know. I suppose the Neo Geo Pocket Colour, Grey Japanese Sega Saturn & White Panzer Dragoon Xbox
Well it did win a major award for its design so I can't be the only one who liked it :wink:
Haha, a fair point! The actual console looks pretty sleek, it's just that controller. Though I've never had the chance to try it myself every time I see it I crease up into laughter :)

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:10 pm

I thought the console itself looked sleek enough. Not amazing, but better than other consoles of the period like the CD32 and 3DO for sure.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:23 pm

I could never agree that the Famicom or European SNES look like Fisher Price toys, they are both nice solid consoles that are still pleasing to the eye IMO, the US one though is simply wretched, who thought a purple colour scheme like that could ever be attractive I will never know.

The Jaguar's design is what intrigued me about it, very space age at the time, I loved the look of it, and wanted one ever since until one did reach my hands a while later.

And even the CD add on only looks bad when it is open, but when it is, and the memory track is plugged in there can be no doubt it looks like a toilet.

I also think honorable mentions should go to the CDi 450, very nice design there IMO, and for handhelds I adore the Lynx and PC Engine GT.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:26 pm

killbot wrote:... the Jag CD is home to the definitive home port of GORF.
Indeed it is. :D
Why anyone would need a definitive home port of GORF is perplexing to me, but there it is.
Er, GORF is an absolute classic from that golden era of arcade coin-ops and is notable in more ways than one. RG has quite rightly devoted an entire feature to it and interviewed the game's creator Jamie Faye Fenton (Jay Fenton, at the time the game was made) plus the game was converted to many home formats. Why you are perplexed is perplexing in itself! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:28 pm

killbot wrote:I thought the console itself looked sleek enough. Not amazing, but better than other consoles of the period like the CD32 and 3DO for sure.
Ah, how did I omit the 3DO from my top three when I have it sat under the telly :roll: . I actually really like the FZ-1 model:

Yep, I seem to like big hulking lumps of plastic that resemble generic hi-fi equipment but hey-ho, whatever turns you on etc. :lol: . FZ-1 3DO with VCD adaptor is even cooler imo but I can't seem to find a piccy with it set-up. On a side note, the FZ-10 3DO seems to resemble the PS3's shape to me.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:37 pm

Megamixer wrote:Wondermega
Great call. :D
killbot wrote:I also think the NES has a certain charm - it's certainly become an iconic design
'Iconic' in the sense it seemingly represents 'retro' gaming to an entire generation of US gamers. The rest of us thought it an ugly shoe box / toaster hybrid that would look nice placed next to Commodore's breadbin, the C-64! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:40 pm

Best
1. GBA - original model. looks great and its a joy to use. If only it were backlit. (cue afterburner mod)
2. Master System 1 - Just looks ace!
3. N64 - Sleek looking piece of plastic.

Worst
1. Atari 2600 Jnr. - Bland wedge.
2. Original Commodore 64 (does this count as a console?)- looked a bit crap and wasn't to comfortable to type on. The revised model was much better IMO
3. Wii U - The console shape is just boring. Glad its hidden away.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Best

3. PC Engine - original white model
2. Neo- Geo AES - proof that matt looks better than gloss on a console!
1. Sega Mark III - amazing looking futuristic console from 1985.

Worst

3. PC-FX - a grey tower box does not make good looks!
2. Atari XEGS - I know someone likes this but I've always found it like an experiment that should never have left the labs! It's very girly pastels, and the whole thing looks like one of those secret compartment pencil cases! No offence :P
1. Super Nintendo (US NTSC) what the HELL were Nintendo US thinking?! Easily the worst looking console ever made!

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Saturn (model 1)
3DO FZ-1
Master System 1
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:57 pm

I have a thing for symmetry, so my 3 would be

Playstation 1
3do front loader
Saturn

And the worst
Playstation 2
Master System 1
Jaguar CD

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:03 pm

Given that some people are listing add-on peripherals instead of consoles I'm suprised the likes of 32X hasn't received a mauling yet!

ulala

Post by ulala » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:09 pm

mega drive v1 is still stunning design

i have a soft spot for the master system v1 also

the c64 breadbin is a favourite and finally the cube

the worst designs are the mega drive v2, famicom and the ps3

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:51 pm

Thinking about it, they're all pretty ugly. I kinda like:

3. Panasonic 3DO FZ-1
2. Xbox 360 (the original white one)
1. Atari 2600 (woody)

These are all relatively innocuous designs that are modelled to look like something that might actually belong under your TV. Stuff like the Megadrive or SNES look like children's toys.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:32 pm

theantmeister wrote:These are all relatively innocuous designs that are modelled to look like something that might actually belong under your TV. Stuff like the Megadrive or SNES look like children's toys.
They are children's toys! Gaming started becoming too po-faced when consoles started looking like pieces of stereo equipment.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360