3 favourite consoles when it comes to the..

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Combo-Breaker

3 favourite consoles when it comes to the..

Post by Combo-Breaker » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:05 am

Design of them?

The Laird

Re: 3 favourite consoles when it comes to the..

Post by The Laird » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:08 am

Easy one . . .

Atari Jaguar
Sega Mega Drive 1
Atari XEGS

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:17 am

1. Gamecube - impossibly cute and who doesn't love a console with a built-in handle?

2. Mega Drive - very, very cool.

3. Atari 2600 (heavy sixer) - who doesn't love woodgrain?

And the three worst?

1. PlayStation 3 - why is it this weird shape? I wouldn't be able to stack my DVD player on top of it, that's for sure.

2. Jaguar CD - it looks like a toilet. It really, really does. And that's before you play the games (boom boom!)*

3. Dreamcast - a good console, but the white design makes it look like a Breville Pie Magic. Looks miles better in black.

*Before I'm lynched by the Laird for that remark, I would like to point out that in fairness the Jag CD is home to the definitive home port of GORF. Why anyone would need a definitive home port of GORF is perplexing to me, but there it is.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:22 am

The Laird wrote:Atari XEGS
Is that the one with the slanty cart slot and the pastel shade buttons? I don't get it, myself.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:26 am

killbot wrote:
Is that the one with the slanty cart slot and the pastel shade buttons? I don't get it, myself.
Yeah, I admit its probably an acquired taste but I just think it looks fantastic. I must actually buy one at some point.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:32 am

GameCube - I find it aesthetically pleasing in an ordered and symmetrical kinda way.

PC Engine GT - A cool looking console. Like a Gameboy pocket after it's had a heavy, sweaty gym session and a shot of anabolic steroids. I've never owned one but I always did want to.

Amstrad, or Amsterdam if I allow the predictive text to have it's wily way, GX4000 - Yea I said it. There's just something likeable, in a squeaky clean Star Trek fashion design sorta way, about this quirky looking console.

Ooh, I quite like the look of that XEG5 too.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:36 am

Three best,

1. NEC PC Engine
2. Sega Saturn (white NTSC-J model)
3. Atari VCS/2600 'woody'

Three worst,

1. Nintendo SNES (NTSC-U)
2. Nintendo NES
3. Nintendo Famicom
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:40 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Three worst,

1. Nintendo SNES (NTSC-U)
2. Nintendo NES
3. Nintendo Famicom
Ditto. Horrible looking consoles.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:40 am

The Laird wrote:
killbot wrote:
Yeah, I admit its probably an acquired taste but I just think it looks fantastic. I must actually buy one at some point.

I think what I always found oddest about the XEGS was the timing of its release as much as its 'quirky' looks. Launching another home console less than a year after the 7800? What a bizarre thing to do. Okay, they tried to position it differently by making it compatible with the old Atari computer carts but really? Two competing home consoles by the same company just months apart? What was Tramiel smoking when he came up with that idea?

I also agree with DCRIP on the US SNES. The Jap/EU version was a neat little design, nothing earth-shattering but pleasing enough to the eye. So why did they turn it into a boxy, squared-off, purple-hued monstrosity for our colonial friends?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:41 am

Best

Atari 2600 woody - the grandaddy of them all

Gamecube - has personality; personality goes a long way

Super Gfx - nice and sleek

Worst

Amstrad GX4000 - looks awful

Commodore GS - looks worse!

CD32 - not a fan.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:44 am

1. PC Engine Duo-R Looks the business today, especially with the cool red disc light, and still a nice bright white when some of my other machines have gone a hideous colour.

2. Master System 1 Impossibly cool looking console, Sega's nicest designed console by far IMO.

3. Neo Geo AES Looks reassuringly expensive, just oozes quality.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:45 am

The Laird wrote:Easy one . . .

Atari Jaguar
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My three? I don't know. I suppose the Neo Geo Pocket Colour, Grey Japanese Sega Saturn & White Panzer Dragoon Xbox

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:50 am

On the subject of the Atari XEGS's looks it struck me how similar the shape of the original PS2 was to it... and then I recalled that Sony copied the case design of the Atari Falcon 030 Microbox for PS2. FACT! :mrgreen:
killbot wrote:I also agree with DCRIP on the US SNES.
Yep, the word 'fugly' was invented for such abominations!
The Jap/EU version was a neat little design, nothing earth-shattering but pleasing enough to the eye.
Nah, it looked like a Fisher Price toy.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:01 pm

Mine are all probably quite dull and black but these are my favourites anyway:

Original PS2

Wondermega (wish I could have one of these but probably never will!)

Mega Drive Mk1 + MCD combo
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:03 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Nah, it looked like a Fisher Price toy.
Unsurprisingly I'm going to disagree with you there! It's a pretty sleek, unpretentious design but that's part of the charm - it hasn't aged as badly as some consoles have because it cautiously side-stepped fashion in the first place. It's also incredibly solidly built - pick it up and swing it around and it's pleasingly weighty and built from solid, durable materials. Unlike the Mega Drive 2 which copied a lot of its design elements but weighed as much as a bag of air and was made of plastic which felt so brittle I was afraid it would shatter if I looked at it too hard.

I also think the NES has a certain charm - it's certainly become an iconic design and the front-loading mechanism is novel if nothing else. If I was to single out a Nintendo home console for its looks it would be the N64 - I have no idea what they were aiming for with that.
Last edited by killbot on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.