Renting videotapes

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

MattyC64c

Re: Renting videotapes

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:36 pm

Nah, we didn't do it, well not often anyway. Most of our films had adverts unless they were recorded off aunty Beeb of course. Thing is me dad did most of the recording so he didn't bother.

My dad was one of the first in our family to buy a VHS player, these days he gets stuck with the cable box let alone DVD players/recorders.

thebear

Post by thebear » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:30 am

I also remember I used to think you had to leave the tv on while recording otherwise you'd just tape the blank screen :oops:
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:41 am

thebear wrote:I also remember I used to think you had to leave the tv on while recording otherwise you'd just tape the blank screen :oops:
That rings a bell. Yo had to watch what you were taping, in the early days anyway.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:42 pm

I remember back in the early 90s the woman next door was an area manager for Blockbuster. She would get loads of videos of films that haven't long been out of the cinema. Something to determine how many copies they wanted for their region or some gubbins.

All I cared about is that once she watched a film she would give me the video to keep. They have a little counter in the corner and the word "SPECIMEN" stamped on the front of the box.

Remember getting Short Curcuit 2 really early and gloating about it at school.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:52 pm

^I had loads of those, including that Alan Partridge Xmas special (though the timecode made it annoying to watch).

Remember finding a timecoded sample copy of Intruder (the one with Sam Raimi in). The rental release was censored, but the timecoded sample one is fully uncut, and very grisly - bingo!!!! :D

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:39 am

On the odd occasion I'd find the timecodes annoying, I'd put a piece of tape on the screen to cover it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:37 pm

The absolute MISSION of having to rewind a tape to the beginning is one of the reasons that I'm glad that they aren't around anymore (let alone the picture quality as well!).

Video Shops were awesome though as they usually has the latest fighting games in them! :wink:

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:07 pm

We had a few cool video shops near me through my childhood and early to mid teens.

There was a small one on the road where I lived. I remember renting 'Ghostbusters' from there (although this was probably not the first film my family ever rented from there). Then down on the 'main road' was a branch of CHEC (who got raided numerous times during the 'video nasties' era) which I used to frequent. When this was burnt down (along with the rollerskating rink above it, it moved down the road and changed names to 'VideoZone' or somesuch, who then bought the one on my road too! It was never the same after that..... Still, I knew the blokes who worked in both of them so renting '18' rated films whilst very, very underage was not a problem. Made me the envy of my mates at school.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:41 pm

Rented mine from the local library. I remember we'd always leave the VHS at a crucial moment in the story before handing it back, out of pure badness :lol:

Some of the first titles I rented were anime flicks (kid ones like Dragonball Z & Pokemon) I then later moved on to the classics like Akira. Good times.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:50 pm

local spar had a pretty poor selection so we ended up renting the same tapes again: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, The Dream Team and High spirits, the latter two rubbish, the first brilliant :D
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Rayne wrote:Rented mine from the local library. I remember we'd always leave the VHS at a crucial moment in the story before handing it back, out of pure badness :lol:
Not as bad as recording over them revealing the twists à la Peter Griffin:

"It's his sled, it's his sled from when he was a kid. There, I just saved you two long boob-less hours!"

dste

Post by dste » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:08 pm

Originally we would rent videos from the local corner shop (first one we ever rented was Howard the Duck) but the guy who ran the place was a wan*er so we moved onto a guy from the back of his car who used to have good stuff.

Also knew a guy who could get new films. :wink: I remember finally getting Robocop 3 from him as it was a popular one and being so disappointed.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

retromax

Post by retromax » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:27 pm

I remember the first two tapes we rented, I came in from school and we had got a video recorder!!!! my Dad had become a member of the only video shop in town (which was inside a portacabin) and had rented 'I spit on your grave' and 'Gullivers travels'.... Gullivers travels was obviously for me and my sister to watch but I sat down and watched I spit on your grave too while my Mum and Sister stayed in the other room :lol: .
Our recorder came with two blank tapes, a 30min and a 60min, I recorded 'The Dukes of Hazzard' on the 60min one every Saturday night... then recorded over it with the latest episode the following week.
At the time a 3 hour Scotch video tape was £19.99 and that's the reason we never had any more blanks back then.

Over the years I became a big collector of video's and the first film I ever bought was 'The Goonies' for £9.99 in Woolies in 1988 (still have that tape). Funny cos the first bluray I bought was also Goonies :)

I miss video shops, the old 'Choices' video shop near me is now a carpet shop :cry:
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:33 am

retromax wrote:I miss video shops, the old 'Choices' video shop near me is now a carpet shop :cry:
It's painful seeing what the old video shops have turned into, certainly...

Pick-A-Flick is an optician's.
Take Two is a hair salon.
Choices is a One Stop.
The one I can't remember the name of (but it had bricks indoors) is an off-license.
Global Video's a charity shop.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:42 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
retromax wrote:I miss video shops, the old 'Choices' video shop near me is now a carpet shop :cry:
It's painful seeing what the old video shops have turned into, certainly...

Pick-A-Flick is an optician's.
Take Two is a hair salon.
Choices is a One Stop.
The one I can't remember the name of (but it had bricks indoors) is an off-license.
Global Video's a charity shop.
the two rentals i remember turned in to a carpet shop
the other had an more interesting fate its turned in to pie shop
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !