mobile phone unlocking

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

greenberet79

mobile phone unlocking

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:13 am

No, this isn't spam!

Has anyone here unlocked a mobile phone? I've got just a normal keypad-style Nokia. I'm moving to a new network and wanted to give my old phone to my mum - do I just use the PAC code?

But then is it ok to use the PAC code twice - I'll need it to transfer my old number to my new phone. I'm not sure how PAC codes work!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

psj3809

Re: mobile phone unlocking

Post by psj3809 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:33 am

My wife gave me her old iphone so i unlocked that at some 'dodgy' newsagents in Bury, worked a treat to be honest. As it was an iphone it cost about 60 quid (most phones are much cheaper) but worked, very happy with it, on some cheap vodafone sim card (instead of some crazy 35-40 quid monthly phone bill).

Think you use the PAC code for your new phone so your number moves over to the new phone company, for your old phone as its locked to say 't-mobile' you basically unlock it which means it'll run on any network.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:03 am

Does your mum already have a phone and wants to keep the number? If she's on the same network, it won't need unlocking. If she doesn't have a phone number she wants to keep and is ok with PAYG, just get a free PAYG SIM for the same network. That's what I did with my daughter's iPhone when I bought it off her (though I did jailbreak it and did some googling into unlocking, its not too tricky and usually just needs a USB cable and a download or two).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:28 pm

There's no need to go down the "dodgy newsagents" route as all the networks will unlock your phones once the contract is up, sometimes before then even, for a nominal fee. They're required to by law, although it's not usually that well advertised for obvious reasons. I'd expect that what other unlockers are doing is just using these service and charging their own fee on top.

Also, be wary of hacks that involve rooting or jailbreaking smartphones to get them unlocked. This isn't necessary and you could find your phone reverts to being locked by a software update.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:28 am

Thanks for the replies. I've had a search on some sites but can't find a code for the phone, so i'll have to go back to t-mobile to get it unlocked.

cheers.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:17 am

I just sold my 3GS to my mate, I called Vodafone they contacted Apple as I haven't used it for ages, Apple sent me an email saying:

The phone is now unlocked, please replace the sim (use a sim that has never been used with this iphone) and connect to itunes to perform a software restore.

It worked fine.

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip