Renting videotapes

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

greenberet79

Renting videotapes

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:23 pm

I was talking about this with my mates earlier - I'm sure most people here used to rent videos in the 80s? Never mind video shops like Video City (and of course Video City II!!), even my local sweetshop and newsagent would rent videos out!

A combination of my age, new technology and lack of information (i.e. internet) meant it was always exciting renting a film out.

What was your first? Mine was Back to the Future.

And who can forget the Patrick Bateman line - "I have to return some videotapes".
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

thingonaspring

Re: Renting videotapes

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:34 pm

mine was our local sweet shop. we were about 9/10.
nightmare on elm street was amongst the first (can't remember which one though, but pretty sure it wasn't the first one!).
:D

same shop i used to buy my garbage pail kids bubblegum + cards from in fact. the only place i ever bought them. shops not even there any more, it's somebodys front room.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:51 pm

We had a place called "VideoVision", but the local Newsagent on the way home from School also rented some out, it was how I first saw The Usual Suspects and Reservoir Dogs.

First films though... erm, if I remember rightly, it was my sister who started renting films out for me, she would get ones she thought I'd like and leave me to watch them myself. I know E.T. was one, but I think the other ones she got me were The Princess Bride and The Dark Crystal. Oh, and The Neverending Story.

Oh, and I always rewound the tapes before returning them. ;-)
ImageImage

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:08 pm

It was at the local Co-Op Hypermarket(now closed down). A massive place, with loads of stuff in there. Anyway, there was a video section which catered for the Betamax. My Dad joined it and we soon rented 'Star Trek : The Motion Picture'. The following week it was 'Star Trek II', then on to 'Tron'. All great at the time as I don't think any of them had been on TV. It was the early 1980s.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:20 pm

Would have been around 1989 - the newsagent down the road from our old house had a separate area for video rentals - rows of black and yellow cases with titles handwritten in the corner.
It didn't really matter what I chose cos my mum would ALWAYS play Dirty Dancing - she rented it so many times the tape started turning brown! Likewise my sister with Mac & Me or as it should be called:

Knock-off E.T. Goes To McDonalds... A LOT!

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:14 pm

Big mac and me.

Our papershop had a few tapes roughly 1988 ish, i remember seeing the goonies and a cheaper thing called the go kids. there was a video shop opposite me before we had a video..83/84ish and i vividly remember looking at the cases of films like cannibal holocaust, bloody birthday and piranah...all seemed so amazinly naughty to look at at my age, the video shop did get shut down a few years later though, pirated tapes and shlock horror.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:01 pm

The local garage and newsagent rented video tapes. A couple of miles away there was a proper 'Video Library'. They even charged a membership fee!

That was such a long time ago that I can't be sure what I first wanted to rent. It probably would've been Bud Spencer & Terrence Hill in 'Watch out we're Mad' or maybe 'Space Hunter'

There was a film called 'Death Cheaters' that appealed to me. It had some kind of dune buggy on the front cover I think. I used to see it in the 'Video Library' and I wanted to watch it more than any other film. With a title like Death Cheaters I didn't think I'd ever get to watch it, I mean it sounded so awesome and dangerous! I couldn't believe my luck when my mum agreed to rent it. I didn't realise, until we got the tape home, that it was actually only a PG! This was long before certificates were compulsory on video cassette cases! I think the film was crap after all that too! An early lesson.

Found this on YT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STlwNUZrcx8 Oh dear... :lol:

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Our local Spar used to to rent out tapes, but that was back in 1988, up until about 2004. They used to keep them in a small corner in the back. I remember seeing roboplop 3 in there (which I rented unfortunately). Also remember seeing Jason Goes To Hell, a rather beat up looking copy of Gremlins, Star Trek II, III, IV, VI (for some reason it didn't have V until a few weeks later :? ) and Freddy's Dead. Then they used to start selling the tapes off that didn't get rented. Soon built up a rather nice little collection. Among the treats were The Lawnmower Man, Captain ron and an old copy of Tron, which still looked fantastic!

The other place near me used to rent out Beta tapes before then. I remember getting Disney's robin hood, Airplane II, Iron Eagle and Life Force from in there. The last place was Mr. Video in Brentwood. That place used to be awesome for older, rarer tapes. They used to have a small book with sleeves for the horror videos, like Day of the Dead, Zombie Flesh Eaters and the like. Man, I miss the old video rental shops. They were great, and they had that used video tape smell. Those were the days.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Dirk Gently

Post by Dirk Gently » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:36 pm

We had a betamax. So the choice was pretty limited in our local shop. They had about 20 videos, so we rented octopussy (roger moore) which had been on tv a few months before. Forget any new releases. they had a bootleg of ET though which was exciting as it was a 'cam job' if you can imagine the quality from a videocamera back in the day in an auditorium. It was like watching it with a bin over your head whilst being blasted with static. Fair groovy. we still have the machine. It weighs a ton and still plays like clockwork. When it's dragged out of the attic that is.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:12 pm

RetroAerosmith wrote:Big mac and me.
I prefer my title - it reflects the crapness of the film! :lol:

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:43 pm

We had a massive top loading VCR. I'm not sure what year we got it, but my brother and I would walk down to the local video store and rent stuff. It was just an independent one, I don't even think chain rental stores existed at that point (not in SA anyway).

I can't remember what the first tape we rented was, but the ones I remember us renting a lot were those Harmony Gold anime films. This was before I knew what anime was mind you. The one I remember most was this 20,000 Leagues under the sea remake. It was pretty awesome. I think I rented a Go-bots one loads of times too.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:59 am

When we got our first VCR I rented "Ghostbusters" and my sister picked "Supergirl".

I remember being quite interested in Supergirl. More than I expected.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:05 am

I'm still interested in Supergirl!

My uncle's brother in law actually ran a videoshop and would get films before they came out over here - in particular I remember seeing....

Batman
Robocop
Batteries Not Included
Garbage Pail Kids

before any of my mates had, which was ace!!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

ootini

Post by ootini » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:36 am

We did not get a VCR at home until the early 90's cos may parents were afraid my siblings and I would just sit in all day and never go outside. But we used to borrow from our relatives and neighbors the odd time. We did get a battered old V2000 at one stage but it never worked.

One of the neighbors we had where I grew up had a VHS and a Betamax. They used to rent VHS from the stores and copy them to the Betamax so they had a pretty extensive library of movies.

They took their son and myself to the local video store once, where we rented Hercules with Lou Ferrigno. A movie I've never seen or heard of since, until I checked IMDB there to jog the memory - there was even a sequel made. I remember wanting to rent it again when we borrowed a VHS recorder shortly after and my folks would not let me.

Incidentally the same video store was where I also bought my first computer game. They had a small tape rack that sold Speccy, Amstrad and C64 games. I got Jet Pac for the Spectrum.

It was generally a nightmare once we got the VCR in the 90's though. We go down with the folks on a Saturday. The little bro would get a Thomas the Tank Engine casette, My sister would get Annie (she always got Annie - I bloody hate that movie!) and I'd get something like Aliens or Robocop.

So naturally the little bro would get to watch his first. Which he'd insist on watching no less than three times in a row. We were driven INSANE by that theme tune and Ringo Starr's scouse monotone. Then mys sister would watch Annie and I had to leave the house lest I break out in a rash. I'm allergic to musicals you see. If I see one with Barbara Streisand in it could potentially result in a fatal seisure. I'd usually have to wait for the others to have gone to bed before I could get my fix of ultra violence and expletives. And seeing as the folks usually went out on a Saturday and left my Nan there to look after us I'd also have to wait until after she'd watched Columbo, or Perry Mason, or Maaaatlock or similar. If it was Columbo though, there was no arguing. She could not miss Columbo under any circumstance. But she had no issue watching Predator 2 or Blade Runner or anything like that once it was over.

tachi

Post by tachi » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:15 am

First video's I rented were Clash of the Titans and Deadly Spawn, I was abut 9.
Sat with my father and watched both and we loved them.
Next was Sakura Killers but the shop mixed up the tapers and we got Legend of the Golden Seal instead :roll:
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?