Amiga 1200 questions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pantal00ns

Re: Amiga 1200 questions

Post by pantal00ns » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:28 am

Slight bit of necromancy, but probably the most relevant thread.

Picked up an Amiga 1200 with second disk drive, cd drive, monitor Philips I think! and around 15 carrier bags full of disks. £20

Most of it is Utilities, Deluxe paint etc.. with all the manuals user guides etc. Also a lot of magazine cover disks and PD stuff.

Also the Lady said she had loads of Amiga Magazines, which she would throw out If I didn't take them, she will give me a week or so.

Questions...
1) Does anyone still collect use Amiga utilities? I have no use for these really just wanted the CD Drive and monitor.
2) Anyone make use of a pile of Amiga magazines? Is one publication more preferable over others?
3) Does anyone need any spare 3.5" disks?

Would rather see the stuff I dont want go to as good home, basically for the cost of postage + shoe leather :?

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:46 pm

Where abouts are you down south? If it's close enough to Redhill I maybe able to take some of the gear off your hands this weekend if you don't mind?

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:19 pm

pantal00ns wrote: 2) Anyone make use of a pile of Amiga magazines? Is one publication more preferable over others?
Good buy! The monitor is worth more than that on its own. To get an A1200, CD drive, and disks is fantastic. Would I be right to think it's a Zappo/Archos/Q-Drive CD-ROMs that connect to the PC slot on the left side of the machine?

If you get any, I'd be interested in any issues of The One, The One Amiga, and CU Amiga. I'm located in Horsham.

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:39 am

Slightly off topic, but what is an Aiga 600 worth these days? I'm considering selling mine, it's unbowed but it does have the upgraded Kickstart ROM in it?

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:40 pm

r0jaws wrote:Where abouts are you down south? If it's close enough to Redhill I maybe able to take some of the gear off your hands this weekend if you don't mind?
Sorry or the late reply dude, I am actually on the Isle of Wight, so not only as south as you can get but seperated by the most costly stretch of water in the northern hemishpere! :o

Pictured attached showing the amount of stuff covers a bed without the Amiga 1200 itself. Unfortunately hardly any boxed games Sim city, populous, F19 and a couple of large bundle packs.

Hundreds of games on the many many coverdisks, most still sealed. The magazines I did pick up so far is Amiga Computing? but there are cover disks for other publications. Its all round my old dears at the moment so the Wife doesn't throw a wobbly

Also a goliath Power Supply? Huge bugger with a custom case, Squirrel CD drive and some PCMCIA looking stuff as well?

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:27 pm

The Goliath PSU and squirrel gear are worth keeping hold of TBH. If you don't want them, you'll be able to get a few quid for them on Amibay most likely.
IoW is lovely, been there a couple of times, but it is a little out of my way now. :)

stulec52

Post by stulec52 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:34 pm

r0jaws wrote:
kaiserspike wrote:He's looking for €50 for it, which doesn't seem too bad, apparently there's a "load" of games and magazines and cables thrown into the deal as well.
Still don't know if it works though.
That's not a bad price as it happens. One thing to look out for in 1200's these days, are the caps. They were low quality and poorly installed and are now starting to leak all over and destroy the motherboards they are mounted in. Replacing them isn't to arduous, if you can solder, and is now rightly considered an essential maintenance step.
I've replaced all the caps on all my Amiga's, several for guys on Amibay and a couple of CD32's and every single one of them had bad caps, that had just started to go.
It's certainly worth checking out.
is there a guide to this anywhere?
I have my 1200 (and 600) in a box somewhere, and would like to start using it again, but you got me concerned now :D

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:19 pm

As it happens there are a couple of photo guides on Amibay including listing for the required capacitors....

a500 and a1200 cap replacement and retrobriting

Capacitor listings for most machines

Alternative cap removal technique

Amigakit also offer a re-cap service for £29.95 HERE

Generally, if you have a 600 or 1200 then you will almost certainly start to have problems with it in the very near future. Commodore used cheap components, and now they are degrading. It is not overstating it to say that this problem is going to account for many Amiga failures.

stulec52

Post by stulec52 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:55 pm

great, thanks for that.
although I'm in Canada (although from Glasgow) so shipping over won't really be an option for me.
I will look at what to buy, as I have a hakko soldering iron just sitting here that I'm sure I could probably do the swap with !

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:40 am

Thanks for the feedback chaps, will take some time this week to filter through the stuff at my old dears.

Will probably go back to the lady and see if the magazines are still available. Even if I don't want them myself I would be happy to send on for the cost of postage to someone to make good use of them.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:08 pm

A bit more of a sort out.

The Amiga has a 128Mb disk drive installed 4MB expanded memory
Another Boxed floppy Drive
Around 200 coverdisks from Amiga Format back to issue 10, CU amiga issue 40 - 150 found
Amiga Shopper? 12 magazines in a folder.

I will probably get back to the person and see if the magazines are available especially interested in the early amiga formats

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:18 pm

pantal00ns wrote:A bit more of a sort out.

Around 200 coverdisks from Amiga Format back to issue 10, CU amiga issue 40 - 150 found

I will probably get back to the person and see if the magazines are available especially interested in the early amiga formats
Nice find!
I'm such a strange person, because I actually collect coverdisks (specifically CU Amiga, Amiga Format, Amiga Shopper and Amiga User International) so if you want to to keep them, brilliant, but if you want to part with the coverdisks, please let me know :)

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:41 am

woody.cool wrote:
pantal00ns wrote:A bit more of a sort out.

Nice find!
I'm such a strange person, because I actually collect coverdisks (specifically CU Amiga, Amiga Format, Amiga Shopper and Amiga User International) so if you want to to keep them, brilliant, but if you want to part with the coverdisks, please let me know :)
Hi woody,

No worries will let you know, theres a lot to go through and no reply about the magazines yet.

Will drop you a PM when I eventually sort through it all.

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:30 pm

woody.cool wrote:I'm such a strange person, because I actually collect coverdisks (specifically CU Amiga, Amiga Format, Amiga Shopper and Amiga User International) so if you want to to keep them, brilliant, but if you want to part with the coverdisks, please let me know :)
Out of curiousity, do you prefer to buy disks in their original state with the content exactly as they were provided when the mag was shipped, or are you willing to accept updated copies with decompressed software, save games, etc. A friend collects magazine disks and gets terribly upset if they find that the original owner has overwritten original archives with an decompressed copy.

vipp

Post by vipp » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any infomation about this game i like called 'The Plague' I have posted a link below to a video of the game - i believe i had it for the Amiga 1200 but my be wrong, i am currently looking to buy the game again to play but i would love to know more about it. Also i havent come across any articles about it in the retro gamer magazine? have i missed an article on this game or have they not done one? Your advice and help would be brilaint.

Cheers guys.

The Plague
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQCpVZqLpcM
Steam: Vipp1990
Steam Group: Stalking The Retro (STR) (Join the group to win FREE steam games every month!)
www.gamegavel.com/forum: Vipp

Currently Playing: Doom Collection PSN/Duke Nukem 3D PC/Petite Computer 3DS/Tetris NES/Fantastic Dizzy Megadrive.