Retro Gamer let's name the top 200 16-bit games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

slacey1070

Re: Retro Gamer let's name the top 200 16-bit games

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:52 am

fujiHunter wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:Kick off 2

Never enjoyed this in the same way as the original Kick Off on the Atari ST.

There was a looseness/fluidity in the controls of the original which was lost in the more refined action of the sequel. Yes, you don't have the 'bells and whistles' of the sequel, however, in terms of actual gameplay the original has its own little idiosyncrasies which made it a gem. Who needs aftertouch anyway! ;)
It was a toss up between the two... I would have been happy to go either! But I liked the kits more on KO2!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:38 pm

my next choice greendog,okay so the skateboard/rollerblade sections aren't great especially the part with the parking meters but there are loads of secret rooms and alternate routes on some levels,a nice mix of level styles and a decent challenge.

"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:06 pm

joefish wrote:I'll see your 16-bit racers and raise you Vroom, by Lankhor, on the ST / Amiga...
A bloody marvellous game that was. Great call.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:12 pm

Another brilliant thread!

I would like to nominate Sonic 2

Sonic Team doing what they do best with unrelenting fun. I got this on Christmas morning and played it all day.

Well polished visuals, brilliant sound track, intuitive and fun level design... and that's not even mentioning the special stages. This is what Blast Processing was meant to achieve.

Also, Snatcher for Mega CD:

This was just a revelation for me as to what was possible in video games. Alllright it had a clunky control system but the story line is so engrossing and I loved the overall art style

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:23 pm

Llamatron

You could just say its a Robotron clone, but you'd be wrong. There's a bit more variety on here, a gentler difficulty curve and a few tweaks and additions that just make it a lot more playable than the original. There's not many ST games I go back to now but this is one of those few. Good enough that it saw yet another revision in Minotron, which is much closer to Llamatron than Llamatron is to Robotron. Could it have been done on an 8 bit system? Probably. But it wasn't, so its on the list.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:35 pm

for a sports title for me it has to be a madden game,specifically john madden football 92.
i've played a few different madden games but this one just "feels" the best for me and i've easily put the most hours into this one,i think psj has posted that he's played a few of these so i'd be interested in other opinions on my 92 choice.

"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:01 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:for a sports title for me it has to be a madden game,specifically john madden football 92.
i've played a few different madden games but this one just "feels" the best for me and i've easily put the most hours into this one,i think psj has posted that he's played a few of these so i'd be interested in other opinions on my 92 choice.

I considered posting Madden '92 as my first choice for this thread. It was my first experience of '3d' American Football and it left me as impressed as a very impressed thing. Great choice.

Here's another sports game that deserves some recognition...

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:05 pm

^i did weigh up between nhl and madden in my head before i posted,as good as the nhl games are madden won out comfortably.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:21 pm

sirclive1 wrote:Toe jam and earl - sega megadrive - 2 player perfection and a great laugh , hi fives always make me chuckle.
Excellent stuff there :D

This one is also two-player perfection:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:my next choice greendog,okay so the skateboard/rollerblade sections aren't great especially the part with the parking meters but there are loads of secret rooms and alternate routes on some levels,a nice mix of level styles and a decent challenge.

Yes, yes, and thrice yes. I love this game to pieces. Most mags critisized it back in the day, but it's actually rather good.

I'm going to throw my Apache chopper into the ring, and say...

Desert Strike on the Amiga/MD

JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:01 pm

Kid Chameleon. HARDCORE!!
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

batman877

Post by batman877 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:32 pm

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:35 pm

Laser Squad Nemesis, Kid Chameleon, Sonic 2, Greendog....

How can one page hold so much awesome?

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:51 am

^ Easy.

Tetris - SNES, MD, Amiga, ST etc.
It's 16-bit, it's seminal.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:25 am

No mention of Shining Force yet? What's wrong with you people?