What size TV did you play on?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Sputryk
Posts: 2519
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Cobbydale

Re: What size TV did you play on?

Post by Sputryk » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:13 pm

Don't remember the make of my first, but it was the family's 21", similar to that posted by Antmeister. When that broke (I inherited it first when we upgraded), I had to make-do with a b/w portable. Another nameless 21" colour followed before I bought a Daewoo 28". It eventually started to show a permanent discolouring before conking out. A brief (VERY brief) period then followed with it's replacement, a 32" Panasonic Viera. I now use just this Toshiba laptop. Occasionally, if my wife is feeling up for a game, we load up something energetic on Wii or PS2 using the Viera, but not as often as I'd like.

User avatar
shmuk
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:44 am

Re: What size TV did you play on?

Post by shmuk » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:06 am

I think mine was around 30". We had a bigger one, but that's the one that my parents used to sleep through cowboy movies.
- Shmuk Lidooha

User avatar
Timothy Lumsden
Posts: 2994
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:07 am

Re: What size TV did you play on?

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:35 am

i still use an old Ferguson CRT TV for most of my old consoles. I guess it's 28inches?

MYOLDVIDEOGAMES
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:53 pm
Contact:

Re: What size TV did you play on?

Post by MYOLDVIDEOGAMES » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:16 pm

I have been wanting to hit a flea market or yard sale and pick up a CRTV just for me to play games on but I would have no spot for it in my house. At least until the man cave is built. For now i'm playing on our 42" flat screen in the living room and fighting for control of it. :)

User avatar
Analog
Posts: 749
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: What size TV did you play on?

Post by Analog » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:02 pm

I used a combination of small portables, one hardly little toshiba was my main one from the early 90's, I also used a sony trinitron for gaming in the spare room sometimes since the toshiba didn't have scart. a few years ago I decided to splash out on a decent bigger new one, I have a panansonic 20 something inch ,can't remember the model its a series of numbers and letters iirc. very good tv though ,the thing is it isn't rear projection.

I am thinking i'd like a large rear projection, i've seen the prices they go for on ebay (dirt cheap) and I would be able to play some old light gun games on it. does anyone else have any experience with buying used ones?

User avatar
Analog
Posts: 749
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: What size TV did you play on?

Post by Analog » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:05 pm

greenberet79 wrote:How on earth do you all remember the makes of your tellys??
I think the fact the badge is only half an inch under the screen has burned the names into my sub-conscience :mrgreen:

User avatar
theantmeister
Posts: 3440
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 8:36 am

Re: What size TV did you play on?

Post by theantmeister » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:59 am

Analog wrote:I am thinking i'd like a large rear projection, i've seen the prices they go for on ebay (dirt cheap) and I would be able to play some old light gun games on it. does anyone else have any experience with buying used ones?
All the rear projection TVs I've had have developed major faults. Also, they burn in very easily, as anyone who has seen an old Tekken arcade cab will tell you. Some also need the bulbs replaced occasionally and you might struggle to find them.

I loved playing House of the Dead 2 on my Dreamcast connected to my old Toshiba 43", but I would say avoid.

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: What size TV did you play on?

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:36 am

My older brother had a rear projection - the most annoying thing was having to manually adjust the convergence once a week or so. That and the exceptionally narrow viewing angle - about 20º off bang right in front of it and it was so dim it became unwatchable.

User avatar
theantmeister
Posts: 3440
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 8:36 am

Re: What size TV did you play on?

Post by theantmeister » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:48 am

Liamh1982 wrote:My older brother had a rear projection - the most annoying thing was having to manually adjust the convergence once a week or so. That and the exceptionally narrow viewing angle - about 20º off bang right in front of it and it was so dim it became unwatchable.
That convergence thing is a massive headache. That was actually the fault my Toshiba developed. The convergence got harder and harder to fix and eventually it just would go out randomly and then "pop" back in. The board eventually blew and the TV no longer worked.

My other rear projection, a Sony, died even quicker. With a known fault. That Sony wanted £800 to repair. The feckers :twisted:

RetroAerosmith
Posts: 1105
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:19 am
Location: South Wales

Re: What size TV did you play on?

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:56 am

i moved my xbox to play on the main50inch tv. Dunno what it is but i always thought it would be better on a massive tv...it looks nice but i cant seem to play very well...usually im good on gears3 but i couldnt play for crap last night...roadie run made me giddy. maybe i need to sit a few meters further back (which i havent got).

Also noticed thick lines on the screen when i tried to play indie jet set willy and manic miner (in the borders) that slowly faded after about 20seconds of turning the games off. probably wont play them incase it burns the lines onscreen.

User avatar
Analog
Posts: 749
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: What size TV did you play on?

Post by Analog » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:01 am

theantmeister wrote:
Analog wrote:I am thinking i'd like a large rear projection, i've seen the prices they go for on ebay (dirt cheap) and I would be able to play some old light gun games on it. does anyone else have any experience with buying used ones?
All the rear projection TVs I've had have developed major faults. Also, they burn in very easily, as anyone who has seen an old Tekken arcade cab will tell you. Some also need the bulbs replaced occasionally and you might struggle to find them.

I loved playing House of the Dead 2 on my Dreamcast connected to my old Toshiba 43", but I would say avoid.
do you know what sort of brands tend to fare better and are the most reliable with rear projection?

User avatar
theantmeister
Posts: 3440
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 8:36 am

Re: What size TV did you play on?

Post by theantmeister » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:52 pm

Analog wrote:
theantmeister wrote:
Analog wrote:I am thinking i'd like a large rear projection, i've seen the prices they go for on ebay (dirt cheap) and I would be able to play some old light gun games on it. does anyone else have any experience with buying used ones?
All the rear projection TVs I've had have developed major faults. Also, they burn in very easily, as anyone who has seen an old Tekken arcade cab will tell you. Some also need the bulbs replaced occasionally and you might struggle to find them.

I loved playing House of the Dead 2 on my Dreamcast connected to my old Toshiba 43", but I would say avoid.
do you know what sort of brands tend to fare better and are the most reliable with rear projection?
All I know is Sony and Toshiba let me down. In both cases the faults were down to manufacturing defect that they refused to acknowledge.

User avatar
MattyC64c
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:21 am

Re: What size TV did you play on?

Post by MattyC64c » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:20 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:Also noticed thick lines on the screen when i tried to play indie jet set willy and manic miner (in the borders) that slowly faded after about 20seconds of turning the games off. probably wont play them incase it burns the lines onscreen.
What kind of TV is it? My old 26" Samsung HDTV would leave lines or faint images behind after they had been stuck on screen for a while. A TV repair man told me a few months ago that the early LCD TV's were notorious for those problems. If that 50" is a CRT though that's a different issue.

RetroAerosmith
Posts: 1105
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:19 am
Location: South Wales

Re: What size TV did you play on?

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:00 am

Nah its a brand new LG smart tv thing. i notice it on a lot of things like if i watched youtube on it on the blacks later you can see a "vevo" icon or youtube logo where they were previously.
Another annoyance ive found is games like rockband and Guitar hero are unplayable, ive tried recalibrating the guitar to tv but its laggy as hell. you can calibrate using numbers, does anyone use a hd tv for rockband they could let me know the calibrated numbers they use.?.

User avatar
theantmeister
Posts: 3440
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 8:36 am

Re: What size TV did you play on?

Post by theantmeister » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:17 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:Nah its a brand new LG smart tv thing. i notice it on a lot of things like if i watched youtube on it on the blacks later you can see a "vevo" icon or youtube logo where they were previously.
Another annoyance ive found is games like rockband and Guitar hero are unplayable, ive tried recalibrating the guitar to tv but its laggy as hell. you can calibrate using numbers, does anyone use a hd tv for rockband they could let me know the calibrated numbers they use.?.
Christ, I hate LG tvs. My mate has a huge one and it makes everything look like censored. It actually ruins movies by making them look fake. His features a "game mode" that you can activate to fix the lag, has yours not got that?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest