PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 13-14 October 2012, Manchester

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Chinnico

Re: PLAY EXPO (formerly Replay), 13-14 October 2012, Manches

Post by Chinnico » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:44 pm

markopoloman wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmm Caption competition with no prize!

"and you see... I was holding this shotgun like that, in front of this bloke and...oh, damn I blew it!"
"ahahahah!!!"

As for the event comments, as usual I am late. Sorry guys, have been busy lately.

I enjoyed this event so much! Even if I had to go away early sunday morning, saturday it was a craking (or "smashing"?) experience.
It was well worth getting there all the way form Italy. Well, considering that the round trip costed me around 70 euro, the trip it has been a lot less expensive than for many of you, I believe.
Thanks for the organisers and all the people. I was glad I could also help a little at the guest/VIP/press desk on saturday (Helen gave me an easier task! Cheers!). I hope I didn't mess it up too much.
I actually had the privilage to give the VIP pass to Darran and his lovely family!

I had a lot of fun playing the games on saturday afternoon/evening. I hadn't too many chances to meet with most of you and I totally missed the forum photo. I actualy was having a late lunch and I couldn't hear the announcement. Yes, service was slow and expensive.
On the other hand, I met a very nice bloke who's working at Sumo Digital and passionately studying japanese; so we had a very pleasant conversation about japanese language.

The arcade and pinball section was fantastic! The retro console / computer part was also very well populated. I appreciated the 'history of classic gaming' sequence of consoles.
If I have to search for point for improvement, I'd just mention something about the general aesthetics.
The place was so big, it kinda felt the retro-section was a little diluted. Actually, the place was packed with retrogames, but I felt that a few more big colored signs and advertisments could have helped to catch the eye.
For example, the 4-player console tables could have used a big cardboard arrow pointing down hanging from the ceiling with a "multiplayer fun" or "party game galore" message (this would also have hidden the power cables coming from above).
Or else, big colored '8-bit era here!' or 'Atari vs AMIGA corner!" or "Barely known games: hic sunt leones..." signs could have been used to get the visitor interest along a specific path.

Anyway, the effort that has been put in the event has been of gargantuan proportions and I really appreciate all that was done.

Many thanks as usual to the Markopoloman's gang for the great support and company. It was great fun meeting you all again and I look forward to the next occasion!
I missed MohikanKid's raffle this time!!!

Here's a few scattered pictures. I can proudly say: "I was there too!".

http://s447.beta.photobucket.com/user/C ... ayExpo2012

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:50 pm

The Laird wrote:Image
Bravo - although Mart is looking noticeably slimmer these days, Darren looks like he's lost a bit too.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:57 pm

My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Helensification

Post by Helensification » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:03 pm

Chinnico wrote:
Thanks for the organisers and all the people. I was glad I could also help a little at the guest/VIP/press desk on saturday (Helen gave me an easier task! Cheers!). I hope I didn't mess it up too much.
I actually had the privilage to give the VIP pass to Darran and his lovely family!
It was lovely to see you again Chinnico and you were excellent on the Passes desk. Thanks for all your help and see you next year :D

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:25 pm

one thing that i think would be good for next year is to have signs next to each retro machine explaining what it is, when it was released, what the game is etc. I dont work for replay but as i was helping retro collect and had lanyards on i ended up being asked about what some machines were by random people and i was happy to inform. Would be a great way to educate people in a bit of retro gaming history :-)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:27 pm

^Yes there are a lot of morons about,

I was once asked "Whats that thing with the switches?"
"An Atari 2600"
"Whats on it?"

I was fighting off my sarcasm mode

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:35 pm

Raggyt wrote:Highlight had to be my Sensible Soccer tournament win on the Saturday. Very suprised, because I usually lost to everyone years ago.
If only I'd managed to make it this year.... :lol:

Glad everyone enjoyed it. Hope to make it for next time - will not be moving house, then!

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:16 am

DPrinny wrote:^Yes there are a lot of morons about,

I was once asked "Whats that thing with the switches?"
"An Atari 2600"
"Whats on it?"

I was fighting off my sarcasm mode

Fact is what we love is fairly niche, but many people do find it interesting when confronted by it, and while they may not recognize the 2600 they'll be impressed by its contribution to the industry. My partner is pretty much totally uninterested in games and gaming but even she tends to have a peek when i get a new system and she'll ask questions like "what's this one do?" or "what makes this one special" for example i just got a fairchild channel f and i explained to her that although its a pretty much unknown system to all but the retro community it has the claim to fame of being the first rom cartridge based console and she thought that was pretty cool and something "i guess you just take for granted now" so educating is a key thing
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:21 am

Oh I forgot his last line.
"The games look s**t"

Where as they do look like censored, the game in was Bezerk

Also somebody sat in front a C64 and expected it to load up a tape instantly

pforson

Post by pforson » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Really enjoyed the show and was good to see everyone again. I was disappointed to miss the Saturday night drinks and not get a chance to chat with many new people - it's just typical that you fly all the way over only to be really rotten ill the whole weekend. Hopefully next time I won't have the Lergy!

Ta,
Pete
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)