Your 3 most prized retro gaming items....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

samhain81

Re: Your 3 most prized retro gaming items....

Post by samhain81 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:58 am

Mayhem wrote:
tux wrote:
Mayhem wrote: 3) GamesMaster golden joystick. Would be silly not to mention that ;)
How? why? and when? Sounds interesting.
I was on the GamesMaster show, and I won a challenge, and I got a joystick ;)

There used to be a great write-up on the show at NTSC-UK (now Bordersdown) but it hasn't been re-uploaded since the server move. I think the most notable point to make is that having spoken to a number of other people who appeared on the show as well, I wasn't supposed to have kept the joystick. Apparently it was meant to be for filming only, the contestants didn't actually walk away with it to keep. I suspect a combination of a very long day's filming and that my challenge was the last to be filmed that day meant it got overlooked. So I took it home :P
Really? Nobody was allowed to keep their joystick? Hmm. thats tainted the memory of the show for me a bit now :x

Anyways, what challenge did you win/game you play? Im curious, as I've watched each and every episode at least 5 or 6 times, so Im sure it will click with me :)

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Mootown wrote:It was to me, I bought it about ten years ago when I HAD to have it because I love Tecnosoft and Thunderforce.
What's great about the Saturn version is it comes with 2 modes - the original arcade (which is ok, but you can emulate on Mame pretty easily) and then a fully remixed Saturn mode. This is completely redrawn graphics, a fully remixed and Thunderforced soundtrack (awesome synth-rock) and also you can 'lock' your aim, which you can't in the original arcade so the controls are actually better.

It's only worth paying loads if you REALLY REALLY want a shmup that's not best in class, but is definitely a great shooter and you absolutely want to play a version of Hyper Duel you can't get anywhere else.

Personally, I love it. But I'm really biased towards Tecnosoft and I adore the soundtrack.
Cheers for that matey. It sounds right up my street. Will be a while before I get it though as the euro's weak and like practically everyone else in the Emerald Isle these days, I'm skint :cry: :lol:

Well... not too skint that I can't afford a Wii U on launch day of course :wink:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:51 pm

I think you have your priorities all wrong!!! :wink:

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:18 pm

samhain81 wrote:Anyways, what challenge did you win/game you play? Im curious, as I've watched each and every episode at least 5 or 6 times, so Im sure it will click with me :)
Sorry, can't say, it's too embarrassing to let loose on the general public :P
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:11 pm

Mayhem wrote:
samhain81 wrote:Anyways, what challenge did you win/game you play? Im curious, as I've watched each and every episode at least 5 or 6 times, so Im sure it will click with me :)
Sorry, can't say, it's too embarrassing to let loose on the general public :P
Isn't it a series 3 episode?
Splink!

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:20 pm

Mayhem wrote: Sorry, can't say, it's too embarrassing to let loose on the general public :P
Didn't happen then :wink:

Lettuce

Post by Lettuce » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:15 pm

Evermore wrote:3. Conker's Bad Fur Day for the N64, boxed and complete. A fun title that is now worth twice as much as what I paid for it. Not that I'll ever sell it of course!
When the hell or more to the point why the hell has Conker's Bad Fur Day rocketed in price!??. I have a sealed copy about somewhere...or though it is a US-NTSC version though not PAL

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:26 pm

Lettuce wrote:
Evermore wrote:3. Conker's Bad Fur Day for the N64, boxed and complete. A fun title that is now worth twice as much as what I paid for it. Not that I'll ever sell it of course!
When the hell or more to the point why the hell has Conker's Bad Fur Day rocketed in price!??. I have a sealed copy about somewhere...or though it is a US-NTSC version though not PAL
Its a very good game, but there are better titles on the 64. I suppose it was a late release which is obviously rather notable by its content, hence the current price. Its not that rare though....
Jagfest_UK wrote:I think you have your priorities all wrong!!! :wink:
We'll see!

The reviews of the first wave of titles will be interesting. Zombi U isn't the classic some would have you believe, according to (the now defunct) Nintendo Gamer. We all know what Mario will be like, but Nintendo Land could be great, or a glorified Mario Party clone.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:23 pm

Way to completely miss the point! :shock: :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ArcadeMYK

Post by ArcadeMYK » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:21 pm

1) Atari 2600 Woody 6Switch complete sitting in it's plastic Atari Suitcase carry case.

2) Midnight Resistance Arcade Machine

3) Raiden Project (PAL Version) for PS1

Really not sure of the rarity of the Atari Suitcase carry case... Found it in a Salvation Army thrift store in Perth(Aust.) around 1998, got the case, full with the woody, controllers, about 10 games all for 12$. In fact that was the day I became a retro game collector =)

Can anyone well versed in Atari-Lore give me an idea on rarity or current price? In Australia I heard they only released 500 of the Suit cases to the first 500 people who joined the Australian Atari Club in the late 70's?? Now, -this may totally kill some of you inside a little - but I actually had 2 of these and I had to sell one of them with a whole bunch of my 2600 game doubles to fund travels to Europe in 2008/9... from memory I got 150$ for the case & about 15 games plus a handful of controllers.

Either way - these 3 are my most loved and personally prized items in my collection
From Game&Watch to PS2 and Arcade in between, its been so much fun every single step of the way.

VideoGame Addict since 1989

Pinhead7

Post by Pinhead7 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:25 pm

In order of my personal preference

1 - ZX Spectrum +2

2 - Master System

3 - NES

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:21 am

My 3 issues of Retro Fusion!

Issues 0, 1 & 2
Thoughts and prayers.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:33 am

rossi46 wrote:My 3 issues of Retro Fusion!

Issues 0, 1 & 2
0 is the best.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:49 am

This, which is a 3DO Blaster from Creative Labs. (boxed with special CD ROM needed to make it run)

This, which is the Panasonic FZ1 Mpeg Adpater

or this, which a complete collection of 3DO Magazines. The picture isn't of a complete set, but trust me, the set sat behind me is complete (even the Gold Edition!)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:20 pm

Extremely impressive acquisitions there, will2097. :D

I knew of the 3DO card for PC but know little about it -
- how does playing 3DO games using it compare to a 3DO? Are frame rates etc dependent on the power/speed of the PC?
- How does one connect 3DO controllers to a PC?
- can 3DO analogue joysticks be used still?
- how do the graphics look displayed on a PC monitor?

I'd never seen the 3DO MPEG peripheral connected so didn't realise the thing was so huge!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac