Football Manager 13 introduces a Classic mode

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: Football Manager 13 introduces a Classic mode

Post by The Laird » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:53 am

pforson wrote:They're not connected. The first version of Football Manager (originally known as Championship Manager) was released on the Amiga and the PC.
And Atari ST

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:16 am

I wondered if they were connected also, so apparantly not then. No idea what they mean classic mode, do they mean their original or THE original?

As Kevin Tom's 1982 version will always remain the ultimate original. He invented the game genre. There's been countless of clones since then. This series just took it to a new level for modern gaming.

But to release a new one every year is a rip-off. It should be that you're able to download and install updates for the new seasons. Typical EA.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:23 am

Liamh1982 wrote:EA? Isn't FM published by Sega?
You are correct, FM is and always will be Sega's golden goose! 20-odd weeks at number 1 in the UK charts for FM12!

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:04 am

I sit corrected.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:41 am

I'd go as far as saying that CM2's engine (Championship Manager 93/94 and 94/95) remains the best. An entire season in 10 hours? With CM2 you could do it in a couple of hours :) simple, but great fun. I just didn't stop making copies of those diskettes and starting new championships...

The idea is very good, FM was becoming too complex and cumbersome for my taste. I'm interested in seeing how this plays out...

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:10 am

Some more info from the Football Manager podcast, copied from FM forums, too lazy to type it myself:
- Different Reactions to being cut from 30 Man International Squads
- #640: Calender Bar Revamp - Pop Up Calender Bar. First Team Fixtures are more prominent than reserve team ones
- #326: Blank
- #555: Competitions and Rule Groups - African Nations Rankings to Continental Club Competitions (no one knows what this means and it's this week's competition)
- #789: Challenges - Injury Crisis: Your team is swamped with injury problems can you still finish in the top 4
- #321: International Revamp - International Press Conference Question (Replacement of Captain requires a follow up question)

steve82

Post by steve82 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:41 am

i can do a season on fm12 in 5-6 hours easy.

for the simple reason i go on holiday in between matches. if you have a fairly up to date system like dual core and 4 gig of ram theirs like a 25 second gap in between each match while on holiday. obv it would not be that quick for ppl on older hardware

i also let the computer take over league cup matches and un important european matches.

i skip pretty much all the press conferences aswell. basically ur assistant manager is an ignore bullcrap button

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:00 pm

steve82 wrote:i can do a season on fm12 in 5-6 hours easy.

for the simple reason i go on holiday in between matches. if you have a fairly up to date system like dual core and 4 gig of ram theirs like a 25 second gap in between each match while on holiday. obv it would not be that quick for ppl on older hardware

i also let the computer take over league cup matches and un important european matches.

i skip pretty much all the press conferences aswell. basically ur assistant manager is an ignore bullcrap button
Will you be trying out the Classic mode? I like the thought of it, but get frustrated when playing some of the older games and want to use a feature that obviously isn't in that game :lol:

steve82

Post by steve82 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:12 pm

i do not know if their is a way to get out of it because i could never be arsed to look. but 1 thing i hate in the last couple of football manager games is when it comes up staff and player contracts need renewing and their are about 45 in total that need sorting out. that was normally where i would think f**k it and turn the game off. im hoping this football director thing handles all that for u this time

steve82

Post by steve82 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:17 pm

with fm13 needing steam to run again. it will be funny looking on the piratebay seeing all the people that download the game illegally extremely frustrated at the fact it will take about 5 weeks before the game is cracked.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:46 pm

steve82 wrote:with fm13 needing steam to run again. it will be funny looking on the piratebay seeing all the people that download the game illegally extremely frustrated at the fact it will take about 5 weeks before the game is cracked.
There is quiet a heated debated on the FM forums at the moment, Steam is charging Australians $90 for the game. From what I can work out this kind of equals out a bit in conversion to £'s, but it is still a fair whack of money. SI Games can't do anything about it as Steam sets the price.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:55 am

Championship Manager 97/98 was my favourite.

I'm sure anyone who signed Ibrahim Bakayoko or Makapoloko Diogo would agree!

Got too complicated for me after that.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."