New Vs. Old-Super Mario Bros. 2 Vs. New Super Mario Bros. 2

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Super Mario Bros. 2 Vs. New Super Mario Bros. 2

Super Mario Bros. 2
67%
New Super Mario Bros. 2
33%

Total votes: 21

Evermore

Re: New Vs. Old-Super Mario Bros. 2 Vs. New Super Mario Bros

Post by Evermore » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:40 pm

Jet Pilot wrote:SMB 2 innovated. NSMB 2 is just more of the same.
Have you played through NSMB 2 yet yourself? Or are you just saying that because all the websites are saying it?

NSMB 2 is a game that should be played first hand. See, its super-short, in the sense it can be beaten "ie Bowser felled" in a day or two. However, the sheer amount of content thereafter is huge, the gameplay highly polished, and the amount of screts throughout the stages is the most I have ever seen in thr Mario series to date. You are being constantly rewarded for your explorations and deviations from the main path.

Regarding innovations, the Coin Rush mode is new and different. The 1 million coin mechanic is new. The whole coin collecting mechanic is an expanded mechanic on what has gone before.

On first inspection you would be forgiven for thinking its the same old game, but its not. Its far better than the overworked journos would have you believe. These guys have rushed through the game in order to meet dealines. They are clearly appraising the game having not seen all the riches it holds. New Super Mario Bros. 2 rewards the patient. Its rewards skill and memory. Its got a fantastic risk / reward system in Coin Rush. It controls like a dream.

Its not perfect - the initial camapign is relatively easy, the locations are themed around the usual, the use of 3D is poor and the graphics could be a little more detailed, but when it plays as good as it does these issues are largely irrelevant.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:15 am

Evermore wrote:
samhain81 wrote:
nakamura wrote:I'm am one of the rare that thinks Mario 3 is a bit dull.
always knew you were an oddity :D
Well if he's an oddity then so am I! I have tried to like it over and over and..... its good but I never felt it was up there with Mario Bros. 1 or World. Or 64 or Galaxy 2. In fact, I would go as far as to say I think its possibly the weakest in the series.

I need to play it again I think. I really should love it.
Would never have thought that looking by your avatar

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:07 am

They're both very different, but NSMB2 just feels more "Marioey" to me.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:52 am

I would like to make an incredibly useful and invaluable contribution to this thread by saying I haven't played the new one yet.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:08 pm

I chose the new one as Im fed up with wankers choosing old games over new ones because they have fond memories of the old one and not down to the pure fact of which is better.

The new one is much better than Super Mario Bros 2, which is the worst main mario game (apart from the big pile of dogsh1t that is Super Mario Sunshine)

The new games can never win here.

On a site where 90% of people think jet set wlly is a better game than fallout 3, or any other modern masterpiece, asking these comparison questions is an absolute waste of time.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:27 pm

samhain81 wrote:Would never have thought that looking by your avatar
I love Mario, and thought it was a funny picture :)

I don't think Mario 3 is a bad game, just not as good as some would have you believe. I think I will stick it on the SNES over the next couple of days for a bash, on a bit of a Mario bender right now after all!

I'm going to buy boxed copies of all three NES Mario's soon as I want to start collecting Mario games in general. I have nearly thirty as it is, but want to start buying more up.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:02 am

The old SMB2 for me. Haven't played it in years but I used to really enjoy the game when I was a kid. It was the second game I ever completed too, so holds quite a bit of nostalgia for me.

Would almost always play as Peach because she could float! :D

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:45 pm

Rinoa wrote:The old SMB2 for me. Haven't played it in years but I used to really enjoy the game when I was a kid. It was the second game I ever completed too, so holds quite a bit of nostalgia for me.

Have you played the 3DS one?

rolan

Post by rolan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:46 pm

Having not played New Super Mario bros. 2 and having played the old super mario bros 2 back in the day the answer is obvious... New Super Mario Bros. 2 - its a real mario brothers game and doki doki mario bros 2 is the worst mario game apart from sunshine... not to say that old smb 2 is terrible but its just way below the stellar standard of the rest of the games... having seen the ads new SMB 2 looks like fun but I'm not buying a 3ds

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:56 pm

Rinoa wrote:The old SMB2 for me. Haven't played it in years but I used to really enjoy the game when I was a kid. It was the second game I ever completed too, so holds quite a bit of nostalgia for me.

An old flame of mines little brother would always want me to play SMB 2 every time I went to her house. So yeah plenty of nostalgia for me there too. I haven't played the new one but I'm pretty certain that it would be the better game of the two.

I have to pick the old one though don't I.

Eat your nans pants

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:57 pm

ChipTune wrote:I chose the new one as Im fed up with wankers choosing old games over new ones because they have fond memories of the old one and not down to the pure fact of which is better.

The new one is much better than Super Mario Bros 2, which is the worst main mario game (apart from the big pile of dogsh1t that is Super Mario Sunshine)

The new games can never win here.

On a site where 90% of people think jet set wlly is a better game than fallout 3, or any other modern masterpiece, asking these comparison questions is an absolute waste of time.
I guess I'm a censored then :roll:

Eat your nans pants

rolan

Post by rolan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:10 pm

isnt this poll going to be biased because only like 7 people i the uk actually own a 3ds?

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:53 am

It is, and there are clearly people who haven't played one or the other who are voting, but at the end of the day, its only a bit of fun.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:53 pm

I think it's more like a million than 7, although judging by the poll that's probably about the number who post on here who have one.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:28 pm

the correct result