'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DRS

'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by DRS » Wed May 30, 2012 7:10 am

Hello all. Hope you feel it's appropriate to post this here - well, it is about retro games so i'm probably okay..

I'm a small part of this film project 'From Bedrooms to Billions' (good title that) which aims to tell the tale of the rise of the British videogame industry. The link below has a 5 minute promo (my rambling head pops up halfway through but don't let that put you off) which includes lots of lovely nostalgic footage and info on how you can help make this project happen.

http://www.facebook.com/l/AAQElL3goAQFN ... 15740acfd4

It also gives details of the 'perks' available for those who back the film - lots of Oli Frey stuff, including the opportunity to get your head specially drawn into a Zzap/Crash/Amtix cover.... the ultimate retro ego trip :)

The couple behind the project are good folk and are RG readers... if you go to their site they've got quite a track record of doing retro-themed short films (including on games) so I'm sure they'd make a top job...

And finally, for those into this new fangled social media, please do put this link on your facebook or tweet it (first time I've typed that word :s)

Cheers all - let's hope the film happens

Paul Drury
Last edited by DRS on Wed May 30, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Laird

Re: 'Bedroom to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by The Laird » Wed May 30, 2012 8:10 am

I will re-share this on my own website for you Paul 8)

DRS

Re: 'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by DRS » Wed May 30, 2012 6:15 pm

Thanks Mr Jag :)

Folks, please do post the link on whatever bit of the web you frequent. Cheers. It'd be lovely if it got made.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu May 31, 2012 4:52 am

Since I'd like it on DVD instead of a copy, is there going to be a way to just buy the DVD after it's made? At the moment the prices and options available are (for me) terrible.

I'd rather support it now to help get it made, but only getting a file until you pay $100 is a bit pathetic, so I might wait, and hope I can get it afterwards, or off eBay. Which is a shame, as I'd like to support them.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

DRS

Post by DRS » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:53 pm

necronom wrote:Since I'd like it on DVD instead of a copy, is there going to be a way to just buy the DVD after it's made? At the moment the prices and options available are (for me) terrible.

I'd rather support it now to help get it made, but only getting a file until you pay $100 is a bit pathetic, so I might wait, and hope I can get it afterwards, or off eBay. Which is a shame, as I'd like to support them.
Mate, i do sympathise and yup, of course you can buy the DVD after it's made... it's just without support up front, that won't necessarily happen!

Of course $100 is a huge amount to pay for a DVD but my understanding is that you'd think, 'I really want this to happen, it's something i not only want to watch but also support, so I'll pay well over the odds for a DVD and feel warm inside when it comes out, knowing i was part of why it happened in the first place'.... i think I've got that right! I suppose if you were probably fine paying £20 for a DVD, you might think, sod it, I'll pay three times that for it to exist at all (not exactly sure of the $£ exchange rate :s)

Anyway, thanks for looking and PLEASE do spread that link, post it on your facebook or twitter or whatever. Ta all.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:16 pm

I had a bit of a moan on their site a day or two ago about the price of the documentary ($100 for the DVD!), and now he's added a $35 option! If anyone was put off by the previous price, get over there right now and get the (limited time offer?) lower price!
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:30 am

I've already supported, but have since seen more options...

Mmmmm

May have to splurge again!!!

quantum

Post by quantum » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:06 am

Looks like it's going to make the funding! ~$750 left with 5 days to go. :mrgreen:

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:31 pm

It's passed the target amount :D

DRS

Post by DRS » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:51 am

Just to say thanks to all the RG readers that have helped get this project off the ground - top stuff :)

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:28 am

Yay! Congrats to Anthony & Nicola...

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:24 pm

necronom wrote:I had a bit of a moan on their site a day or two ago about the price of the documentary ($100 for the DVD!), and now he's added a $35 option! If anyone was put off by the previous price, get over there right now and get the (limited time offer?) lower price!
Dammit! Didn't realise this option had been added, would've shot over immediately! Serves me right for not rechecking...loved the concept but just thought $100 was a bit steep to get the DVD. But in any case, stoked it got the funding and will deffo be grabbing this, looks brilliant.

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:49 am

Darn! Completely missed this - would have defo funded a small amount (to get at least a digital copy of the film). I'll have to make sure I pick up a DVD release from the distributer when it is finished.
c64 > spectrum 48k

driver695

Post by driver695 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:20 am

Missed out on hearing about this! But after catching the Retro Asylum interview it's top of my list for a watch in the Spring :)

quantum

Post by quantum » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:24 pm

driver695 wrote:Missed out on hearing about this! But after catching the Retro Asylum interview it's top of my list for a watch in the Spring :)
I signed up for a DVD copy. It can be your for only $500... bargain eh? :mrgreen:

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.