Official Feedback Issue 105

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Official Feedback Issue 105

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:46 am

Get along people. It's like being in a school playground :roll:

Honestly does it really matter if some people like the cover and some don't? Covers are subjective and you're never going to like every one that comes out. We've had covers in the past that I've not been a particular fan of, but so what? It's the content that counts, and there's some fantastic content in the current issue. I'm fed up with certain people constantly baiting others and if it continues in this thread then they are going to get banned.

Constructive feedback is one thing, pathetically twisting the words of other people to fit your own agenda is completely different.

carl_retrotext

Post by carl_retrotext » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:55 am

SirClive wrote:
I think most people who post are here (or a large number anyway) are subscribers. So even if we hate the cover it doesn't really matter as we have already bought the mag. I'd be interested to hear what the 'over the counter' sales are like for this issue though as I can't imagine it will entice many casuals to pick it up and have a flick through.
@sirclive This is true, I am a subbed reader so the blue rain cover is just as effective to me, in Smiths its normally behind the phone apps mags in the PC section, would the cover be eye catching, so I tack your point.

Now in this thread the comments that were negative about the cover also praised the content, I think there was a sense of doing the cover thing to death here, thats why I thought the cover feedback was more positive than it is normally. but ten people in the same room equals ten different versions of the same room.now you can quote me on that ( providing you quote the whole block of text to keep it in context )

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:00 am

Quite like the variety of covers, theres some i havent liked in the past but they dont annoy me that much. Loved the old Olli Frey ones we used to have, the EA one was alright as it was a proper 80's type advert, reckon a fair few people will see the cover and think 'ahhh i remember that' and hopefully buy it/subscribe.

I'm still happy with the Xmas cover we had which was proper old skool so its all good !

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:29 am

I think the only person that should be allowed to give feedback is Mark from Classic Game Room.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:08 am

SirClive wrote:I'd be interested to hear what the 'over the counter' sales are like for this issue though as I can't imagine it will entice many casuals to pick it up and have a flick through.
Every month in W.H Smith, Asda and Tesco I do my usual routine of stacking all the Retro Gamers in front of Edge and GamesTM and generally spreading the RG about a bit so it's more visible and then I take a step back to admire my handiwork and the one thing I always notice is that the big "Retro Gamer" font and the cover picture always stand out from the other magazines around it. Even when I don't think the cover is too great. I didn't think the Pong cover was much to shout home about but it really caught the eye on the shelf. And that's what the cover is all about really IMO. So maybe the casuals are enticed quite well.

Meanwhile, after reading most of this issue I can say that concerns regarding JagfestUK writing for the magazine were completely unfounded, the amazing Mire Mare article will justifiably go down as an RG classic and the XBLIG clones article is the best coverage the service has ever had in any magazine to date.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:40 am

Do you work in all 3 stores or are you just messing around with their displays? :?

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:35 am

stvd wrote:Do you work in all 3 stores or are you just messing around with their displays? :?
Messing around with their displays. :D
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:37 am

I do the same. I always put retro gamer at the front of all the magazine displays. Been doing it since issue 19 :D

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:42 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I do the same. I always put retro gamer at the front of all the magazine displays. Been doing it since issue 19 :D
Oh... i didn't know everyone else was doing that too! =-)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:54 am

I make it my business to visit every single WH Smiths in the South East to hide RG behind the other mags on the shelf whenever there's anything Commodore, NES or N64 on the front cover. Hopefully it'll kill sales of those Issues thereby resulting in more Speccy, Atari, Sega, et al on future covers.

(That may be a fib)
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:01 pm

Smith's magazine racks the country over must be weird places indeed. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:06 pm

Games magazines racks today are a sorry sight of what they were in the nineties.

martyg

Post by martyg » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:36 pm

merman wrote:
NorthWay wrote:So I read a little more and find this little nugget

ST: Amiga "originally funded by Atari under Warner Bros". Creative much?
Jay Miner did get funding from Atari near the start of the Amiga project. The change of management saw Miner go to Commodore to finish the machine, and Atari sued to get the investment back while Commodore sued Atari for poaching staff who had followed Jack Tramiel to Atari. Complicated and messy, but we ended up with the two computers based around the Motorola 68000 processor...
That's not right. First, it wasn't Miner that was doing those business dealings, it was David Morse. Likewise, there was no change in management at Atari, Atari Inc. went under and was split up. Regardless, it had zero to do with Amiga going to Commodore. That was started in June '84 before Atari Inc. was split up and even then Atari's investment was for a licensing deal for the chipset. David Morse had been up front from the beginning that Amiga was going to be sold at some point and any deals made could not hinder that. What he was not up front about is when he tried to get out of the licensing deal by returning the initial investment plus interest claiming their Lorraine prototype wasn't working right and they couldn't deliver the chip set.

Additionally the mention of the lawsuits is wrong. Commodore sued three ex-Commodore employees, not Atari Corporation, for theft of trade secrets and put an injunction on them from doing any computer work for Jack. Likewise, Jack countered Commodore by suing Amiga for breach of contact with the previous Atari. The Amiga licensing contract was through Warner, but executed by Atari and stayed with Warner after the splitting of Atari Inc. After Commodore sued Shiraz and the two other engineers, the cancelled check was discovered by Jack's son Leonard and they negotiated with Warner for the contract so they could launch the lawsuit.
NorthWay wrote:
merman wrote:Jay Miner did get funding from Atari near the start of the Amiga project.
Let's just forget the 3 Florida dentists who put up the initial funding of Hi-Toro, and all the employees who took out mortages on their own homes to continue financing the operation.
That is correct, though there were actually several companies invested prior to Atari Inc. This is in fact what lead to Atari Inc. doing the whole escrow demand with the initial payments. Because Amiga was so dangerously close to going under, they wanted some way to recover their initial March payment if Amiga went under before the final licensing deal was signed in late June. The other investors would of course have first dibs on any liquidation and finances. So it was agreed that all the technical documents for the chip set would set in escrow until that signing, and if Amiga would go under before then Atari would get access to the documents and chipset with no licensing or royalties needed. This somehow got morphed in to the myth of if Amiga couldn't return the money then Atari would own Amiga.
Jagfest_UK wrote: Exactly, it's quite a well known story now. Atari originally wanted the Amiga to be a console and not a computer.
No. Not sure where you got that idea. Jay Miner (and Joe Decuir) wanted it to be a console since the idea was first proposed when they were back at Atari in '79. Ray Kassar and Atari management said no, Jay left and eventually wound up with Hi-Toro to bring that vision to fruition. From the beginning the idea was a game console with a keyboard on it that could be directly programmed on by the game designers and possibly expanded in to a full computer for the players. This later morphed in to the console being a computer. Where you might be confusing things was that Atari's licensing agreement with Amiga was to be for use in a game console and in coin only, with the game console allowed to be expanded in to a computer in '85 and then Atari allowed to release a full computer with the chipset in '86.

Speaking of Miner, here's a pic of him and his beloved dog Mitchy that used to come with him to work at Atari Inc. and Amiga (and yes, Mitchy had his own Atari badge):

Last edited by martyg on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:39 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:I make it my business to visit every single WH Smiths in the South East to hide RG behind the other mags on the shelf whenever there's anything Commodore, NES or N64 on the front cover. Hopefully it'll kill sales of those Issues thereby resulting in more Speccy, Atari, Sega, et al on future covers.

(That may be a fib)
I could actually believe that though! :lol:
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:48 pm

nakamura wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:I make it my business to visit every single WH Smiths in the South East to hide RG behind the other mags on the shelf whenever there's anything Commodore, NES or N64 on the front cover. Hopefully it'll kill sales of those Issues thereby resulting in more Speccy, Atari, Sega, et al on future covers.

(That may be a fib)
I could actually believe that though! :lol:
Just for you, please add PlayStation to that list of mag' covers for me to hide. :lol:

(PSone, obviously... as we all know PS2 isn't retro yet. FACT!)
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac