Official Feedback Issue 105

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pforson

Re: Official Feedback Issue 105

Post by pforson » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:41 pm

Not had a chance to read the whole mag yet, but just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the Carmageddon article. A long overdue look at a brilliant game (on the PC), a shame it was only 2 pages, but happily received nonetheless.

Aside from that, a great mag this month and I thought the cover wasn't too bad and certainly better than the last 2.

Ta,
pete
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:50 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
AmigaJay wrote:Just checked : ST 95 keys vs Amiga 96 sorry that's a win for the Amiga there you can't have that one! :wink: :lol:
ST has more ports :P
How many joystick ports did the ST actually have? I seem to remember 4 of us playing Supersprint on one ST with one or possibly two of us on keys.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:51 pm

AmigaJay wrote:Just checked : ST 95 keys vs Amiga 96 sorry that's a win for the Amiga there you can't have that one! :wink: :lol:
Two of those 96 keys were the Amiga 'A' keys though so, cheating accounted for, that makes it ST 95-94 Amiga! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:54 pm

gman72 wrote:
Jagfest_UK wrote:
ST has more ports :P
How many joystick ports did the ST actually have? I seem to remember 4 of us playing Supersprint on one ST with one or possibly two of us on keys.
Two ports (strictly speaking, although there's a more long-winded answer).

Super Sprint, afaik, was a maximum of three human players plus the CPU as the fourth car. Always played it with two using joysticks and the third person using the keyboard. I usually chose the keyboard as I found the game better to control that way.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:55 pm

gman72 wrote:How many joystick ports did the ST actually have? I seem to remember 4 of us playing Supersprint on one ST with one or possibly two of us on keys.
STfm has 2 but there is an adapter you can plug in the back to get 2 more.

STe has 4 as standard.
Last edited by The Laird on Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:55 pm

I was always the key man for exactly the same rerasons.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Space Holiday

Post by Space Holiday » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:57 pm

I loved the article about Carmageddon and controversial games. For some reason I am drawn to stuff like that! Loved the little key and all the interviews you included!
Check out Alt:Mag - We're always looking for new writers! Apply within.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:58 pm

yes, i never really liked Carmageddon but the article was good, as was the controversial games piece.

debit

Post by debit » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:40 pm

The last few Retro Gamers really have been top drawer (the Ocean piece must be one of my fave ever). As for 105...really enjoyed it. The ST piece was interesting - a platform I never knew very much about and haven't used. The Super Soccer Retro Revival genuinely made me laugh. And I must add my praise for the "Controversial Games" feature. Whoever it was in the forums that suggested it, nice one. I love little round ups on a theme like that.

Your magazine continues to give me a lot of enjoyment Darran. It used to be like a little nostalgic blanket, but now I'm as interested in the homebrew stuff (I'm a C64 nut) and learning about things like the ST that I didn't use back in the day.

Many thanks!

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:46 pm

So I read a little more and find this little nugget

ST: Amiga "originally funded by Atari under Warner Bros". Creative much?

merman

Post by merman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:27 am

NorthWay wrote:So I read a little more and find this little nugget

Jay Miner did get funding from Atari near the start of the Amiga project. The change of management saw Miner go to Commodore to finish the machine, and Atari sued to get the investment back while Commodore sued Atari for poaching staff who had followed Jack Tramiel to Atari. Complicated and messy, but we ended up with the two computers based around the Motorola 68000 processor...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:52 am

merman wrote:
NorthWay wrote:So I read a little more and find this little nugget

Jay Miner did get funding from Atari near the start of the Amiga project. The change of management saw Miner go to Commodore to finish the machine, and Atari sued to get the investment back while Commodore sued Atari for poaching staff who had followed Jack Tramiel to Atari. Complicated and messy, but we ended up with the two computers based around the Motorola 68000 processor...
Exactly, it's quite a well known story now. Atari originally wanted the Amiga to be a console and not a computer.

rainbird rich

Post by rainbird rich » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:31 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:I for one wouldn't mind reading an article in RG about life in the industry back in the '80s featuring interviews with some of the less well known industry names that helped bring us the games we enjoyed.
Well, a fair number of the articles I've done down the years for RG target those very people (EPC, RamJam, Salamander etc.) to give a flavour of how it was back in those early formative (and very important) years. I also used to work in the industry back in the 80s and hopefully some of the experiences come across in the articles.
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:54 am

rainbird rich wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:I for one wouldn't mind reading an article in RG about life in the industry back in the '80s featuring interviews with some of the less well known industry names that helped bring us the games we enjoyed.
Well, a fair number of the articles I've done down the years for RG target those very people (EPC, RamJam, Salamander etc.) to give a flavour of how it was back in those early formative (and very important) years. I also used to work in the industry back in the 80s and hopefully some of the experiences come across in the articles.
Definitely. :D

Many past such articles in RG over the years have already given us loyal readers some insight on what life was like for those concerned within the industry 'back in the day'. Developer interviews within many past "Making Of...' articles spring to mind with the tales of long hours, crunching and sleeping at desks. The recent-ish "Life on the Ocean wave" feature also impressed in this regard too.

I suppose what I meant by my above post was that in addition to the many past excellent insights within those type of RG articles it'd also be great to read a specific feature on the topic. A warts and all account, so to speak, where we're presented with the experiences of some of the lesser lights of the industry. Balance would of course be key, i.e. one extreme would be the potential gushing praise of those still working in the industry not wishing to offend anyone in case it risked damaging their own future job prospects, with the other extreme being those bitter individuals with an axe to grind.

Maybe such an article would be boring to some? I don't know. Seems to have some mileage in it to me. :D

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:41 am

With respect guys that does sound as dull as dish water, but I guess if you are interested in that side of things then fair enough to you.