A new retro collection

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lorfarius

A new retro collection

Post by Lorfarius » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Up until recently I was a pretty big NES collector (which is how NES-Bit.com was born) but I recently finished my set and looking for something different. Don't fancy starting another on a console so I thought I'd go for an 8-Bit computer this time. Been looking at Spectrum, C64 and Amstrad so far with Witchfinders Mastertronic collection being of big interest. Recommendations of where to start? I'm not going to go after a full set of every Speccy game ever released for example :lol:
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

The Laird

Re: A new retro collection

Post by The Laird » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:43 pm

Spectrum +3

Spectrum + Disk Loading = Awesome!!!!

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:08 pm

I just had a look at the +3 (had a +2A back in the day). Are the drive belts reliable?

Son_of_Shinobi

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:11 pm

The +3 : One of the most beautiful lookin home computers ever. PERIOD. I think I should buy one just to put in my office - would look great next to the phone!

With regard to your original Q, I'd say a Dragon 32. It's......different. You don't see many collections around that's for sure

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Lorfarius wrote:I just had a look at the +3 (had a +2A back in the day). Are the drive belts reliable?
They're easily replaced. A common fault with old +3s is the drive belt degrading so its well documented. I should really do mine some day, but I've no disks for it and all my games are on tape.

A Speccy or C64 collection would get you many of the highlights of 8 bit computer gaming. You can still focus the collection by getting all the Crash Smashes, or buying all the C64 Thalamus games, or buying C64/Spectrum cartridge games.

If you want a slightly more exotic collection, you can always look at the Ataris, BBC/Electron, etc. As they tailed off in the latter part of the 80s you may not find quite the same level of polish on some of the games, but that's not to say there aren't some interesting, creative and above all playable things to collect there.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:07 pm

I've tried a BBC Micro collection before but just didn't get on with it :(

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:23 pm

If you couldn't get on with the Beeb, then the other also rans probably won't fare any better with you. Probably best to stick with C64 or Spectrum. I really couldn't choose between the two since I owned both concurrently, each has its strong games (or versions of them). If you wan't something similar to NES, C64 is probably the closest visually/aurally (though I'd say the C64 is better in most respects tbh). If you want something a bit different, Speccy is the way to go. I do think there's something very special about a good Spectrum game. I wouldn't even consider the Amstrad as in most cases it's host to games that are better on one of its competitors. There's a few where it wins out, but do you want a collection made primarily of 'average' games?

If you've got the space, I'd be inclined to get both Speccy and C64, just as I did bitd.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:31 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:Spectrum +3

Spectrum + Disk Loading = Awesome!!!!
Totally agree with this, the games load in seconds, I find the discs to be very reliable, and I managed to get a collection of over 100 games in well under a year, and of course it can still load cassettes, and if you get hold of a multiface 3, they can be transferred to disc, although unless they are 128K games, this can be a bit tricky, as the machine does not really like loading many 48k games into 128K mode, and the multiface does not allow access to the drive in 48k mode.

With regards to the drive belts, the old ones did used to perish easily, but as has been said they are easily replaced, just remember to clean the spindles too, as the rotten belt often leaves a residue on them, the modern belts are of much better quality, and should last much longer.

I have also in the last couple of years got a C64 collection going thanks to a generous gift from an old friend, and for something a bit different, I am also collecting for the C16 and Plus 4, after the latter spent many years unloved in my attic.

Personally I love the catalogue of the BBC B, it really did start to fade after the latter part of 1985, but there is still a large, superb catalogue of games that just cannot be played elsewhere.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:51 am

I got hold of a Spectrum + 3 a while ago and changed the drive belt. Took me 10 mins.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 am

Its good to try and collect the Ultimate games for the Speccy but be warned, for some strange reason Bubbler (which is a dire game) goes for a lot on ebay and regularly over 50 quid for some reason.

But to see all those tapes and those big black boxes in a row on the shelf, it does look great !

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:10 am

I have got the complete set of Ultimate Games on the Spectrum (excluding the collected works) and also all of the Odin games (Nodes of Yesod etc..)

The most expensive were :

Bubbler £80
Martianoids £60
Pentagram £40
All the others were under £15 but all are in mint condition.

I was prepared to pay those prices because of the condition and because those 3 aren't as common on ebay. The thing is most of the Ultimate games are common but the prices go up because anyone that collects for the spectrum usually starts with their games.

An easier set to get is all the Ultimate games for the C64. :D

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:13 am

psj3809 wrote:Its good to try and collect the Ultimate games for the Speccy but be warned, for some strange reason Bubbler (which is a dire game) goes for a lot on ebay and regularly over 50 quid for some reason.

But to see all those tapes and those big black boxes in a row on the shelf, it does look great !
The reason why Bubbler, Martianoids and to a lesser extent Pentagram go for a lot of money is because they didn't sell as well as the earlier games so there are not so many copies around.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:24 am

They are probably nice to collect but I'm going to go ahead and say it.. I never liked any of the Ultimate games :lol:

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:45 am

:shock:

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:52 am

Try to get the whole speccy cartridge collection! :wink: