Terraria - 2D Minecraft on disc and XBLA etc

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Beans

Terraria - 2D Minecraft on disc and XBLA etc

Post by The Beans » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:29 am

Terraria is a fantistic sort of 2D Minecraft type thing for pc that has a hugely retro feel to it although that description really doesn't do the game justice.
The main point of this thread is to point out you can now buy it in the shops on disc. I know there's a fair amount of you on here who don't like the digital distribution side of things and prefer a physical copy.

Watch the trailer here, it has lots of gameplay footage and does a far better job of describing the game than my puny words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azq5IOrFtEI

The Terria collector's Edition comes with goodies too.

Official site:

http://www.terraria.org/
Last edited by The Beans on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Terraria - 2D Minecraft on disc

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:20 am

Looks amazing, wish I had the time for something as involving-looking as that. Particularly the bosses.

Didn't realise that Minecraft was so combat-focused though (never played it, y'see).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:28 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Looks amazing, wish I had the time for something as involving-looking as that. Particularly the bosses.

Didn't realise that Minecraft was so combat-focused though (never played it, y'see).
Minecraft is in no way as combat orientated as Terraria. Minecraft is a much more sedate affair with the emphasis well and truly on creativity and construction and doing it at your own pace.

Terraria shares the same sort of construction and crafting elements as Minecraft but in a much more violent world.
Having said that, the trailer does exaggerate this a bit, probably to make the game look a lot more action packed than it can be. Depends how you play. Definitely more hectic than Minecraft though.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:35 am

Right, cheers for that. From the looks of the video, and besides the house-building parts, it looks a lot like Cave Story - might try and find a demo first and then "Steam" it or something (Digital distribution doesn't really upset me unless it's the ONLY option).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:52 am

This looks much more interesting than Minecraft, it looks like there's an actual game in there.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:51 am

Yeah I've been watching Totalbiscuit do a lot of Terraria stuff with Jesse Cox on his channel. They make it seem pretty cool.
Like all games like this it's "Fun-ness" is increased more per player involved. It turns a simple sandbox game into a riot.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:26 pm

The Beans wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Looks amazing, wish I had the time for something as involving-looking as that. Particularly the bosses.

Minecraft is in no way as combat orientated as Terraria. Minecraft is a much more sedate affair with the emphasis well and truly on creativity and construction and doing it at your own pace.

Terraria shares the same sort of construction and crafting elements as Minecraft but in a much more violent world.
Having said that, the trailer does exaggerate this a bit, probably to make the game look a lot more action packed than it can be. Depends how you play. Definitely more hectic than Minecraft though.

Minecraft CAN actually be more combat-filled than Terraria, but it requires mods in order to do so (which is often how I play it, but not always).

As for Terraria itself..... ehhhh.

It's okay, I guess. My big problem with it (and apparantly ALOT of people had this problem) is that it has absolutely zero replay value. Which is hard to even explain, considering the type of game. Once you've gone through and beaten all of the bosses and seen everything though..... you'll literally run out of things to do. Playing this game showed me WHY Minecraft uses only breakable tools/equipment, as opposed to ones you get and keep forever; in Terraria, you'll have entire ore types become entirely worthless based on your current progression. You'll be collecting things like copper or iron early on..... but it wont be long before those are basically worthless and you're after silver/gold instead.

It's still a fun game, and I spent a good 70 hours with it..... but once I'd seen everything, I've never felt the urge to go back, like, ever. Still worth grabbing though.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:14 pm

For people who don't mind the digital distro thing, the game is currently on sale on Steam for £1.50.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:22 pm

The Beans wrote:For people who don't mind the digital distro thing, the game is currently on sale on Steam for £1.50.
An absolute STEAL at that price. Seriously. A steal.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:51 am

Terraria is being ported to XBLA and PSN for 2013.

It's a great game but like most indie titles it has issues with bugs and balance. Hopefully a port to the consoles will be a lot more stable without being dumbed down too much.

The Beans

Re: Terraria - 2D Minecraft on disc and XBLA etc

Post by The Beans » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Has anybody picked this up on XBLA?
From what I've seen so far it's far more solid in terms of bugs than the PC version and it hasn't been dumbed down. It's 1200pts but it's a lot of game.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:10 pm

A few people are all over this on RP

merman

Post by merman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:07 am

I'm playing it, not got very far yet but it is fun. merman1974 if you want some multiplayer.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:54 pm

merman wrote:merman1974 if you want some multiplayer.
Have you got anything decent to trade? I have Hooks! and Feral Claws!
The best thing about this game on the 360 is that the Live community never let you down. Four attempts at trading and all four players immediately tried to raid my goody chest then moaned when there was nothing of value in it.

Handy tip: if you're playing multiplayer put your keeper items in chests off the beaten path, surround them with dart traps and obscure their location on the map with cobwebs and stuff. For maximum comedy put a few chests in your base and fill them full of laughably useless items like grass seeds and silt blocks. Don't forget to put your money in a piggy bank too.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:50 am

Don't think there's anybody else here playing this on 360 but just in case there is ...

There are definite problems with the online multiplayer. I lost a character and world while trying to trade some stuff. The game glitched up and wiped both saves. It was just a trade world I'd set up so I only lost a few bits and bobs and my character was backed up on a USB drive but it could have been a disaster. Checking out the official Terraria forum shows that the online multi problems are a patch priority but in the meantime I'd say stay in single player or split-screen and back up your main worlds and characters just in case.