What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rinoa

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Rinoa » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:59 pm

I started playing NIER today, which seems very promising so far. I expected it to be similar to Drakengard but doesn't really feel like that at all, although the storyline seems to have the potential to be just as weird!

I've had trouble naming the Father though... I didn't realise the question "What is your name?" (before even beginning the game) actually meant "What would you like to name the main character?"... So after realising I'd given a rather tough looking man a girly name, I had to restart and give him something a bit more appropriate. I thought Kain would suit him, so that's what I went with. An hour or two into the game however, I came across one of the main female characters who's called... Kainé. I can't believe it! What are the chances of that happening?! >.<

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:46 am

Yakuza via a PS2 emulator on my PC. It works pretty great, got it working at 1080p at full speed and am just working on some other graphical tweaks to get it looking better still. It looks much better than running my PS2 on my HDTV and still plays great even if I'm missing many of the combat refinements they've since made in newer Yakuza games.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:25 am

Had a bit of a blast on the Wii last night as i was gonna play some Blazblue CSE but LIVE was down. :(

Soo i had a go on -

Guily Gear XX Accent Core Plus - like Blazblue this is pretty mad. Every character plays so differently. Cant wait for it to hit XBL for some online fun.

Eledees - This game is quality. probably one of the best £1.50s I've spent on a game as its great fun. I'm not usually a fan of using the wiimote but the controls are great. The only other game I enjoyed with the Wiimote was Sin & Punishment.

Been watching the missus play Atelier Rorona a lot recently. She saved it close to the end of an assignment that she was about to fail, not realising that if you fail then its GAME OVER! So she's had to start again after putting a good number of hours in. FAIL

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:29 pm

had a quick blast on dark souls and really liked what i played.
but ratchet and clank hd trilogy turned up today so i have started the first game,looks and plays real nice the only thing missing is a lock on button but if it wasn't in the original it shouldn't be in this.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:43 pm

Mass Effect - played this for 2 short stretches before but could never get into it. So now I'm giving it another chance, and hoping I'll finally "get" it

jb1014

Post by jb1014 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:08 pm

nba jam on megadrive. it's such a good game. It barely shows its age (except for the half time video clips which I used to think were amazing!). Is it the shoes? Damn right it is :lol:

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:17 pm

Akai Katana. Eh, not really feeling it so far, hopefully once I get the scoring system down everything'll click. Also a little Blazblue, trying out some characters I haven't really touched. Platinum's pretty good fun.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:01 pm

How effing good is Zen Pinball? Im addicted.

Eat your nans pants

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:51 pm

What started as a quick session on Samurai Warriors 2 Empires to test the disc has fast turned into a week of obsessive play. The simple button bashing fighting mixed with the light-hearted strategy elements combine into a game that's extremely easy to play, yet deep enough to hold your attention.

I completed it a few years ago so it shouldn't take me to long to finish the last of the scenarios again.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:13 pm

Sonic all stars racing. The new one.

its

ok
CPU drivers are cheating feckkers as on A rank I was first place for half of the last lap and on last corner the CPU overtakes me after not being near me

New super Mario brothers 2 (3DS)
Still, the 3DS is censored, it might be more fun on a decent format

Kuni no nai
Best looking game ever?
Maybe, it also plays great

muppetboy

Post by muppetboy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Wildfire Studios produced some cracking Pinball games back in the day for the PC. So I'm currently playing Balls of Steel (Duke Nukem table being a favourite) and Dirt Track Racing pinball (two tables). Amazing ball physics, SFX and addictive gameplay.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Theatrhythm on the 3DS. It's really good from what I've played so far. Great for a quick play but loads to unlock.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:59 pm

Bullet Witch on 360, after a 2-3 year hiatus. Saw the sneaky way they were selling extra missions at a very tempting 20msp a pop on XBLA, so I got them all (and the free outfits, about 6!). Game is really rough but a very beautiful sort of rough. First level is one of my favourite ever, in terms of atmos, some battle-damaged, tarnished version of PaperBoy's suburban avenues, a huge city in the far distance, all against a dazzling, moody sunset backdrop.

If a game can charm your sock's off, even with an almost game-breaking aiming system and horrendously loose/inaccurate combat 'feel', then it's got to have a bit of genius contained within it. Hugely-playable, utterly sh!te, it's a great game. :D

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:52 pm

Ferret Oxide wrote:Theatrhythm on the 3DS. It's really good from what I've played so far. Great for a quick play but loads to unlock.
Theatrhythm arrived for me this afternoon, and I haven't been able to put it down since! Clocked up over 10 hours already... :oops:

I absolutely love it. Plenty of different modes, a great selection of music, and as Ferret Oxide said there's loads to unlock. I really like how they've used the Cosmos and Chaos theme from the Dissidia games. Makes sense.

Not been able to play online yet though, there doesn't seem to be any games available when I try. Or perhaps I'm not leaving it to search long enough...

My copy of the game came with the limited edition stylus and stickers, which I'm grateful of as the stylus is so much better to use than the 3DS's!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:59 am

spelunky demo