What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:34 am

SCV is a bit crap

Playing Golden Axe Beast rider
This game is hard, it gives you parry and doge moves but then give the enemy a move that neither of them works on.
Good game thought

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:08 pm

Gears of War 3 Coop on insane

Ninja Gaiden 3

Gradius - PSP

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:07 pm

Had a quick go on Lollipop Chainsaw. First impressions are good; it's very funny and there are enough combos from the off to be getting on with. Finding the button layout to be a bit of an issue - keep trying to press A to jump/dodge. :?

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:29 pm

Richtendo

Post by Richtendo » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:09 pm

Spent the last few weeks completing Super Mario Galaxy 2 again but this time collecting all 242 stars. Let's just say for those who know what I'm talking about, I think I may be stuck on 241 for some time.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Spec Ops: The Line. I wasn't sure whether or not to get this, but decided to take the plunge.

I think I'm about half way through, which puts the campaign at about an average length for a current gen game. That said, it's a very good campaign. The story, for those who don't know, is based on the novel Heart of Darkness. This also means it has some parallels with Apocalypse Now. It's hardly the most complex of plots, but it's heavily forcused on morality and when I had to make my first choice in the game I genuinely had to think about it for a while. It was really a case of my brain saying one thing and my heart another.

It helps that the voice acting is top notch all around, and the characters are likable if a little cliched.

Some reviews criticised the controls for letting you slip out of cover or accidentally shooting the cover instead of the enemy. This hasn't happened to me at all yet, so I'm not sure what they were smoking. When I've finished the story there are several online modes to try. A 4 vs 4 with no respawns mode is beckoning.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:00 pm

DPrinny wrote:SCV is a bit crap
Tis. I tried to like it, I really did. Thankfully I bought it out of HMV, and they are pretty sound about returning stuff. A few more quid towards my 3DS XL if I buy one, so its not all bad. I really would have liked it to be a good fighter - I think there is space for a semi-realistic, deep weapons-based fighting game for the modern era :?

Anyway, I decided to replay my old Mario Tennis games tonight in order to compare them to the new one. Naturally I was playing Open quite a lot today as usual. I sent off some work to college and decided to do no more for a day or two. I will say one thing about Open - the doubles game in the single player is pretty awful - your AI partner is a moron, and you'd actually be better off playing against the two AI opponents on your own - your AI buddy gets in the way and makes stupid shot decisions all the time. I actually struggled to beat the mid level cups with my partner. I can't see myself doing the whole game anytime soon - just too fiddly and frustrating. The only dodgy component in the whole game in my opinion.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:11 pm

Just started another playthrough of Metroid Prime 2. One of my all time faves. 8)
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:03 am

With curiosity having got the better of me I asked my mate for a lend of his Kinect sensor & games, so far, so fun :) I've been playing the following:

Kinect Adventures - As shallow as they come, stupid gameplay with a slow response and inaccurate readings. In spite of that, it's still great fun. I suppose it's a lot like Wii Sports in those respects.

Dance Evolution - Only the demo as I can't find the full game anywhere in town :( I absolutely love this game! The songs are DDR style cheesy euro-pop which is an instant win in my book. The dancing isn't as technical as in Dance Central, instead you just wave to various motions and hope something good happens, this is far better for someone like me :)

I've got a whole bunch of Kinect stuff downloading right now, so I can't wait to try more out :)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:24 pm

DPrinny wrote:Playing Golden Axe Beast rider
This game is hard, it gives you parry and doge moves but then give the enemy a move that neither of them works on.
Good game thought
I played quite a bit of that and just gave up in the end. Very linear, very frustrating and the combat is really simple while also trying to be too clever for it's own good. An enemy attack glowing a certain colour shouldn't mean that you can't dodge it. I don't know...it was fun in a dumb way to start with but there are loads of irritating 'puzzles' later on, places where you can get knocked off a ledge for an insta-death and lots of retreading old ground and hacking through the same enemies again if you die.
Evermore wrote:
DPrinny wrote:SCV is a bit crap
Tis. I tried to like it, I really did. Thankfully I bought it out of HMV, and they are pretty sound about returning stuff.
I bought the special edition on release so me not liking it was even worse. I like the art, the special edition contents themselves and the character creator but as I have said before, things have changed too much for me to consider SCV as good as previous games. It's really not a bad game but it's not for me.

As for myself, I started Tekken 6 tonight and I'm kind of disappointed. The arcade mode is very short and Azazel is a horrible cheap b@stard of a boss. The 'scenario' mode is also extremely dull and uninteresting which leaves me with little to get stuck into offline which is a shame as the general gameplay is as brilliant as ever. I'm praying that Tag 2 is much better - the trailers and confirmed content thus far have me feeling positive anyway.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:50 pm

Megamixer wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Playing Golden Axe Beast rider
Good game thought
I played quite a bit of that and just gave up in the end. Very linear, very frustrating and the combat is really simple while also trying to be too clever for it's own good. An enemy attack glowing a certain colour shouldn't mean that you can't dodge it. I don't know...it was fun in a dumb way to start with but there are loads of irritating 'puzzles' later on, places where you can get knocked off a ledge for an insta-death and lots of retreading old ground and hacking through the same enemies again if you die.
Oh yes, ive got to that bit.
Restarted due to lack of continues
The counter system seems to be hit and miss (the big guys with the ground pound are annoying).
Im gonna get a fivers worth of play outa it

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:55 pm

^^^ The game is kinda broken in that you can get knocked off a ledge multiple times and waste all of your continues with no easy way to quickly replenish your stock, making future levels harder to complete.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:08 pm

Megamixer wrote:^^^ The game is kinda broken in that you can get knocked off a ledge multiple times and waste all of your continues with no easy way to quickly replenish your stock, making future levels harder to complete.
Ill see how long I can go on.

I can say this
Its better than the Sega ages update

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:24 pm

Loads of Atari Lynx games, been a bit rough and my sofa and the Lynx are a perfect combination! :mrgreen:

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:17 pm

Megamixer wrote:As for myself, I started Tekken 6 tonight and I'm kind of disappointed. The arcade mode is very short and Azazel is a horrible cheap b@stard of a boss. The 'scenario' mode is also extremely dull and uninteresting which leaves me with little to get stuck into offline which is a shame as the general gameplay is as brilliant as ever. I'm praying that Tag 2 is much better - the trailers and confirmed content thus far have me feeling positive anyway.
I played it to death and whilst i did enjoy it a lot, the 1 player modes are a bit guff. I found Azazel pretty easy after enough goes. Just find a fast hitting combo and spam it in between his attacks which you should be able to defend and dodge after a while.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!