What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:17 pm

On the last bit of Alpha protocol
More boss woes, this time the sod lobbs 5 grenades at you when you hide

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:21 pm

Ridge Racer Unbounded, finished the first races... mixed feelings. Graphics are good and mayhem can be rewarding, but difficulty is sometimes unfair, locations seem all similar and most of all... it's not Ridge Racer :?

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:02 pm

Bit of gaming nirvana right now, what with Dark Souls on PS3 and Ridge Racer 6 on 360...which kind of makes me weep with joy ("this is how vidgames should all look" it makes me think...only to put RR7 on, on PS3, and it gets even better!) Two really great current gen titles with a real feel of retro times, ruddy good stuff. :D

ootini

Post by ootini » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:05 am

Aye, Cannot gush praise for Dark Souls enough.

Have a few games currently on the go - short attention span and all that…

Downloaded Fez the other night on the xBox. Lovely little game. Real warm and fuzzy feel of the whole thing. Very clever and great to see fresh, original games coming out in this day and age.

Super Meat Boy also on the xBox - ARRRRRRRRGH!!!!

Demons's Souls on the PS3 - Excellent stuff much like its successor. How games should be.

Prototype - PS3 - Dumb fun, simple as.

Nier - PS3 - Weird game, a bit ropey, but for some odd reason I've been compelled to play on...

MrHeli - PcEngine - That Level 2 final Boss, the big sphere thing. Effing hell how are you supposed to beat him?

Dragon Sprirts - PcEngine - Got a shoebox full of Japanese HuCards sent over from Nippon a few weeks back and have been trawling though them. So far this is the one and Mr Heli have been played the most next to a Doraemon game that was also in there. I still need to get a HuCard for Toilet Kids …

Turok 2 - N64 - Dug out the old console form the attic and have been tearing my hear out trying to acclimatise to the weird control system.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:11 am

I'm currently working through Metal Gear Solid 2 on the Vita. The VR missions are perfect fodder for when I'm out and about and have a couple of minutes here and there to kill, they are really addictive. The controls have aged though which took some getting used to in the beginning.

I've also started Amazing Spiderman on the Xbox 360. Its pretty much a Spidey game with Arkham City's combat system, it seriously rips it off completely which isn't that much of a bad thing, it works fairly well in the game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:13 pm

Unlocked Symphony of the night on Castlevania Psp so having a first play on it. Reminds me of Aria of Sorrow / Harmony of dissonance - the first Castlevania games I played and really enjoyed - so looking forward to a few hours with this - but wishing I had Aos / Hod now...

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Been playing Shoot Many Robots on 360. It's simple run and gun platforming action with a loot drop rpg on top. It plays really well. I like the art style too. One of those buys where you're not expecting anything spectacular but find yourself pleasantly surprised.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:16 pm

I had a bit of an urge to play Super Mario 3D Land last night. I finished the main game a good couple of months ago, and did some of the bonus levels too, but put it aside then and played something else. Anyway, went through a couple of the bonus worlds last night and had great fun. The level design in this game is fantastic. The graphics are of a very high quality too. I was only planning on playing for a while, but ended up putting two hours into it. The only thing I will say is that S-World 3-5 is fricking nuts :shock: That was one hard as nails stage that took me a long time last night to finish. The challenge throughout is great though. Replaying the stages for the coins you missed adds lots of extra fun to the game. Over, this is one of my favourite 3D Mario games ever.

Next game I gave some attention to was Soul Calibur V on the PS3. I have to say..... well I put it on quite late last night, so maybe I wasn't quite in the right frame of mind to play a new title, but I wasn't too impressed with the gameplay. It just doesn't flow quite like the first and second games in the series. The story is pretty cool though. We'll see how it goes, but I'm not sure about this one yet.

thl

Post by thl » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm currently playing Splinter Cell HD on the PS3. Did played the original version on the PS2 some years ago, but it didn't last long as the disc kept crashing (meaning that I unable to finish it off). So it was about time I get to play it properly as this update was believed to be ported from the PC version. Very impressed with the stealthy gameplay too as I thought it's brilliant.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:28 am

360 Red Dead Redemption, bought from local Cash Converters. Wow its good :)

dste

Post by dste » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:41 am

Played about 45mins of El Shaddai on the 360.

Not really sure what to make of it so far as it just seems to be run and hit.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

RichL

Post by RichL » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:34 pm

Have gone back to Prototype 2 on the 360.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:14 pm

dste wrote:Played about 45mins of El Shaddai on the 360.

Not really sure what to make of it so far as it just seems to be run and hit.
Yeh the story is pretty mad and didnt quite get in to it. Strangely enough i felt that some of the 2d platforming levels to be the better bits of the game as the combat is quite weak.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:02 pm

Since i managed to get homebrew channel on my wii ive been playing some pc engine games which i never knew about, also just finished Diddys kong quest, jeezus that game has some annoying bits, if i didnt have snapshot save i would have slung it ages ago. good game though not as fun as donkey kong country. off to start the 3rd one now.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:13 am

Well, I gave Soul Calibur V a second going over last night and......

....I'm still not liking it :( My problem is the sluggish, unintuitive combat. And the fact you can button bash and win in the story mode. And when I say button bash, I mean performing the same two-hit combo over and over and over again and you can easily win :?

People have often accused the Calibur series of this, but in the first and second games you couldn't get through the Edge Master mode hammering buttons. The combat in V just doesn't flow as well as it once did, it doesn't feel right. The characters have seeming less moves than in the first game. The changed Guard Impact system is for the worse. The manual is a disgrace as it genuinely doesn't tell you how to play the game - no mention of the new Just Defend-style parrying system. The graphics are technically very good, but it quite dull for a Soul Calibur game - where are the uplifting vistas from the first three titles gone? It genuinely looks Western now :? The storyline is kind of interesting for a bit, and the music is excellent. But over all it plays not to my tastes - it does not offer me the freedom to add my own style to the characters.

Having said all of that, I will add that I am highly accustomed to the first games, so that is going to impact on my playing of a newer version of the game that has been significantly changed. Still, overhauls should be for the better - not detract from the overall experience. It seems like Mortal Kombat with swords, and I cannot believe that Namco made this - this isn't the Namco I remember from the PSone days, but seeing the drop in quality in the Ridge Racer games in recent times its no surprise that this isn't great. I have my receipt so its going back to the shop for itself.

I also gave the newish Ace Combat game a shot - another Namco title. I used to really love this series on the PS2. This new version is..... pretty dull. The graphics are surprisingly low quality and the gameplay is virtually the same bar the up-close dogfight feature. I enjoyed these games before, but this game plays too similar to the originals in my view. Unlike the deep Soul Calibur games, the Ace Combat titles are pretty shallow. As such, the gameplay needs to be improved as the years go by. This hasn't happened here at all. This actually feels like a last gen game, a few nice explosions aside. The helicopter missions are good though, and a definate improvement over the fighter stages in my view, but there are technical issues with these and some frustrating moments. They need to be polished up big time, but I think they are okay and have potential.

People often talk of Japanese games in crisis these days, and after playing a lot of Capcom and Namco games over the last few years I can see where they are coming from. Sega are in a right sorry state and Square Enix has disappointed with Final Fantasy games left right and centre. Maybe these developers should stop trying to be western companies and instead go back to doing what they do best - making crazy censored like Viewtiful Joe, Katamari Damacy and Samba de Amigo.