Games that gaming time forgot...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

crusto

Re: Games that gaming time forgot...

Post by crusto » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:31 pm

Freestyler wrote:
crusto wrote:Buck Rogers on the MD?

Brilliant game choc full of great ideas and, well, thats about it. Never got a sequel or anything iirc. A real shame, so much scope to expand on it given the power of todays systems.
I loved those isometric style games at one point. ANYTHING with that sort of engine I'd buy without fail! :lol:
Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun on Megadrive was the best of all of them. I still rate that game today.
Once my new pad arrives from Ebay I shall be having myself a little blast on that, havent played it since '94 iirc. I shall also be playing BR too, and introducing my son to the excellent MD Disney games...

Eat your nans pants

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:42 am

gman72 wrote:Can anyone remember the name of a c.64 game for me. It had two little men on flying pads that bounced around the screen and you had to fight each other in a future sport kind of thing. It took place in a kind of stadium with spectators I think, i think it had a side on or slightly isometric viewpoint and it wasn't Bouncers. Cheers if you get it. :D
Anyone ?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:45 am

gman72 wrote:
gman72 wrote:Can anyone remember the name of a c.64 game for me. It had two little men on flying pads that bounced around the screen and you had to fight each other in a future sport kind of thing. It took place in a kind of stadium with spectators I think, i think it had a side on or slightly isometric viewpoint and it wasn't Bouncers. Cheers if you get it. :D
Anyone ?
Hypaball? Xeno? Vectorball?

The isometric bit is confusing me.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:17 am

gman72 wrote:
Anyone ?
Gauntlet?
:D

Eat your nans pants

pforson

Post by pforson » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:41 am

Great thread guys. Can't believe the amount of PC love going on :)
Most of the PC games mentioned are sat on my shelf and I actually played some Network Q RAC Rally only a week ago!

Here's some more PC classics that time forgot:

Albion - Strange alien RPG game made by Blu Byte software (of The Settlers fame)

Bud Tucker in Double Trouble - point and click adventure starring Rik Mayall!

Caesar 3 - The best Roman city building game ever!

Dr Drago's Madcap Chase - Another Blue Byte game, this time a computer board game, not as good as Jones in the Fast Lane, but still great fun!

Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force - the only FPS I have ever completed. Brilliant game and it's Star Trek!

Slipstream 5000 - Futuristic flying racing game that let you move in 360 directions and shoot. Great graphics and sound, fun to play.

World Rally Fever - Racing game from Team 17, was ignored at the time because it uses scaling sprites and the world was going all polygons. However, it is awesome and the music is class.

Ta,
Pete
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:46 am

pforson wrote:... World Rally Fever - Racing game from Team 17, was ignored at the time because it uses scaling sprites and the world was going all polygons. However, it is awesome and the music is class.
Cool-looking game that I'd not heard of before. :D

Purely based on having just viewed this video of the game ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGVBwJ8_YKY ) it does kinda look like a Power Drift clone, imho. Maybe that's why it was 'forgotten' so quickly?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

pforson

Post by pforson » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:52 am

It is a Power Drift clone. It's still great though.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:03 pm

merman wrote:
gman72 wrote:
Anyone ?
Hypaball? Xeno? Vectorball?

The isometric bit is confusing me.
The game im talking about does look very much like Hypaball but is not that game. It predates Hypaball. I may have made up the isometric bit. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:49 pm

pforson wrote:Great thread guys. Can't believe the amount of PC love going on :)

Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force - the only FPS I have ever completed. Brilliant game and it's Star Trek!

Ta,
Pete
I think that was by Raven, who were on a bit of a roll at the time. Soldier of Fortune was a good, solid FPS - back when they were still quite fresh.

I would like to add Freespace 2 as the best of a genre that has been left behind. Seen many decent space shoot 'em ups lately ?

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:19 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
pforson wrote:... World Rally Fever - Racing game from Team 17, was ignored at the time because it uses scaling sprites and the world was going all polygons. However, it is awesome and the music is class.
Cool-looking game that I'd not heard of before. :D

Purely based on having just viewed this video of the game ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGVBwJ8_YKY ) it does kinda look like a Power Drift clone, imho. Maybe that's why it was 'forgotten' so quickly?
That looks amazing :D (nice to hear from you again, Pete!)

Another "forgotten" PC racing game - Death Rally! Top-down perspective, cars packed out with all sorts of weapons. Essentially it's Mashed but without the odd camera angles.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:30 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Another "forgotten" PC racing game - Death Rally! Top-down perspective, cars packed out with all sorts of weapons. Essentially it's Mashed but without the odd camera angles.
I wouldn't say it's been forgotten at all...it's been rereleased on iOS and Android recently!

And anyway who decides if something is 'forgotten' or not, did we survey 100 gamers if they remembered these games!? Or is it a game that hasn't been ported or the story not carried on to another franchise?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:46 pm

AmigaJay wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
I wouldn't say it's been forgotten at all...it's been rereleased on iOS and Android recently!
...and the original was released for free on PC.
http://www.joystiq.com/game/death-rally ... full-game/
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Hence the "quotation" marks :D

Got that free PC version, I was only going by the length of time since I'd seen it mentioned in a magazine.

Plus, I don't have an iphone or anything, forgive my ignorance!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:03 pm

gman72 wrote:Internal Section from Squaresoft on the PS1.
Little talked about but brilliant pre Rez shooter.
Spot on! I had *totally* forgotten that game, had a pirate version of this when I had a chipped PS1 back in 1999 and bought *any* odd-sounding games down the car boot, even " Edge Of Sky High". Tbh, I never really played it that much but it seemed really cool & abstract, I was well into the create-a-character on WWF Attitude at the time, sh!t game though it was, ate up loads of hours just making loads of characters, yet upon playing them, they were just as sh!t and crap-feeling as the ones in the already sh!t n' crap-feeling main game. How very odd of me.

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:29 am

TheDude18 wrote:Fingers Malone – A single screen platform game on the C16. Very tough but very addictive. Look out for the PC remake on tinternet.
Tough as old boots that game but a classic.

Commodore 16 - TimeSlip
One of the most original old-skool shemups I've ever played. Surprisingly it's not on any other system.

Commodore 16 - Tom Thumb
Simply the best C16 game of all time. I've played the C64 version and that was instantly forgettable.

You'll find youtube links at the bottom of the retro-review if you want to check them out.