Games that gaming time forgot...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

themightymartin

Re: Games that gaming time forgot...

Post by themightymartin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Fury3 by Microsoft. Brilliant fps/flight-sim for the PC using the Terminal Velocity engine.

Actually, for that matter, how about Terminal Velocity by 3D Realms?
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Freestyler wrote:He did a racing game as well, using the same engine I think. Christ alone knows what it was called though. :?
It ran like treacle on my PC at the time, I remember that.

High Octane?

http://www.teamteabag.com/2008/04/21/ga ... sx-saturn/
That's the one!

Isn't it amazingly like WipEout now you come to look at it? I wondered why I liked that franchise it so much! :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:10 pm

slacey1070 wrote:Would Midtown Madness count? I don't see it mentioned much anymore... that game, with a steering whell, was amazing...
I loved the 2nd one! playing online with those buses was really funny, the 3rd on the Xbox was ok to play online too...seems like an age since I played those!

As for High Octane I hated it! It was a poor Wipeout ripoff and if I remember was rushed to market still incomplete with bugs.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:36 pm

Internal Section from Squaresoft on the PS1.
Little talked about but brilliant pre Rez shooter.
This one is begging for some RG coverage. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:42 pm

Like the look of Internal Section. Is that a proper game or was it only released in Japan?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:47 pm

I think it got an american release but not a PAL one unless i'm mistaken.
It is interesting because it came from Square nestling in their massive RPG catalog and is the only game of this type that they published. Imagine a day-glo Tempest with multiple crafts at your disposal and bosses. The levels respond to the music in the game and you could use your own music. Cool game.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:36 pm

themightymartin wrote:Fury3 by Microsoft. Brilliant fps/flight-sim for the PC using the Terminal Velocity engine.

Already mentioned :D

Now, Skeleton Krew - first on the Amiga, then updated with an extra level for the Mega Drive. Love that one, isometric run-and-gun sort of stuff. Slimy monsters and pig-men and the like. Good stuff.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:25 pm

Outlaws for the PC. One of the few PC games I've really gotten into. Such a fun FPS with many memorable moments and yet it's never mentioned at all. I have fond memories of playing this game on a Windows 95 laptop hooked up to a bigger CRT monitor in the 90's :)

How about the V-Rally games on PS1? Great games, especially the second one where I remember competing against my Dad in the time trials mode as we both tried to beat each other's times by marginal amounts and learn the tricks of each track.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:12 am

I really enjoyed Badlands Pete for the Amiga. The gameplays fairly repetitive- search all locations for kidnapped girl while shooting bad guys, grannies and indians, then move on to the next town, but the characters are great, the death animations are funny and it's just great fun.
Last edited by Treguard on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:43 am

Treguard wrote:I really enjoyed Badlands Pete for the Amiga.
Sounds fun, can't even find it on YouTube!

How about MageSlayer for the PC, from around 1997-ish? A bit like Gauntlet but with a lot more gore and booby-traps and multiple levels, with graphics similar to the first Grand Theft Auto. Smashing game that one.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:46 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
themightymartin wrote:Fury3 by Microsoft. Brilliant fps/flight-sim for the PC using the Terminal Velocity engine.

Already mentioned :D
Must've missed it.

How about Crystal Caves by Apogee Software? Has that been mentioned? Similar in a way to Commander Keen. http://youtu.be/eByI9mxRw8w for those who don't remember it.

Also you don't hear much nowadays about Tyrian by Epic Megagames, even though it has been made open-source and has been ported to almost every homebrew platform known to man. Not THAT'S an epic game! http://youtu.be/THpa6POfjLo
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:48 am

Buck Rogers on the MD?

Brilliant game choc full of great ideas and, well, thats about it. Never got a sequel or anything iirc. A real shame, so much scope to expand on it given the power of todays systems.

Eat your nans pants

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:40 pm

Can anyone remember the name of a c.64 game for me. It had two little men on flying pads that bounced around the screen and you had to fight each other in a future sport kind of thing. It took place in a kind of stadium with spectators I think, i think it had a side on or slightly isometric viewpoint and it wasn't Bouncers. Cheers if you get it. :D

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:44 pm

themightymartin wrote:How about Crystal Caves by Apogee Software? Has that been mentioned? Similar in a way to Commander Keen. http://youtu.be/eByI9mxRw8w for those who don't remember it.

Also you don't hear much nowadays about Tyrian by Epic Megagames, even though it has been made open-source and has been ported to almost every homebrew platform known to man. Not THAT'S an epic game! http://youtu.be/THpa6POfjLo
I mentioned Crystal Caves. Played Tyrian recently - it's free on GoG.
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:32 pm

crusto wrote:Buck Rogers on the MD?

Brilliant game choc full of great ideas and, well, thats about it. Never got a sequel or anything iirc. A real shame, so much scope to expand on it given the power of todays systems.
I loved those isometric style games at one point. ANYTHING with that sort of engine I'd buy without fail! :lol:
Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun on Megadrive was the best of all of them. I still rate that game today.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.