Home Brew Section

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Spacepatrol

Re: Home Brew Section

Post by Spacepatrol » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:11 am

It would be nice to see some adventure game studio (AGS) games reviwed. There are some fantastic asventures out there and most have an Amiga look to the graphics, and play similar to lucasfilm adventures.

Cafeman

Post by Cafeman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:15 pm

Hi guys, we're looking at changing the structure of the homebrew section, as it's beginning to look a little tired now.
As of which issue have these hb section changes been implemented?

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:42 pm

This month's issue was same-old-same-old as far as homebrew gaming goes.. a few awful and very VERY obscure titles for ancient systems and the usual bag of tat from the xbox live indie channel. Also surely more than just one guy can play the games to give a more rounded opinion of the homebrew out there??

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:48 pm

ChipTune wrote:This month's issue was same-old-same-old as far as homebrew gaming goes.. a few awful and very VERY obscure titles for ancient systems and the usual bag of tat from the xbox live indie channel. Also surely more than just one guy can play the games to give a more rounded opinion of the homebrew out there??
I'd love to help out with the XBLIG section but I see they've got that sorted for next month.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:52 pm

ChipTune wrote:This month's issue was same-old-same-old as far as homebrew gaming goes.. a few awful and very VERY obscure titles for ancient systems and the usual bag of tat from the xbox live indie channel. Also surely more than just one guy can play the games to give a more rounded opinion of the homebrew out there??
I offered to help several times with console related homebrew releases. I am sure they will make some changes soon as enough people seem to want it.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:53 pm

Not the same as ever. Different formats reviewed. It's going to take a couple of issues to see the difference.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:13 pm

Check out AQUALIBIRUM on xbox indie today.. after months of utter detritus theres finally something good to play.
Ignore Apple Jack 2 though as it is b0llocks (much the same as the first limp-wristed, kitten's fart game)

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:53 pm

More console home brew releases covered!
Even if you can't get a copy reviewed, at least cover the news with info, release date, screenshot, box art if available, support active home brew companies other than 8bit ones.

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:34 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Maybe we get someone else helping Jason with the systems he doesn't have access to if time is an issue. Like I said, it's all plans at this points.
I'd love to help. Jason and I know each other through RGCD, have worked togther before and I'm sure he can vouch for me having a good eye for suitable content for the homebrew section - be it new games for vintage hardware or modern indie releases with retro aesthetics/design. Writing a few thousand words per month would be no problem whatsoever.

I think the idea of having the homebrew section structured like a separate magazine is excellent btw.

-----[edit]------

I probably should mention (and I'm not boasting or anything) but RGCD receives a lot of pre-release stuff months before it hits the public (a mix of 8/16-Bit and modern system games), so this would be a great help in ensuring that the news published still feels like 'news' and not 'olds'. ;)

Someone mentioned indiegames.com and tigsource. Pixel Prospector should be added to those as a resource as well (and www.rgcd.co.uk too of course!).
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:52 pm

I would LOVE to contribute to the indie section. I used to write articles for a music mag called knowledge many years back so am no stranger to having my gibberish printed. Also I have no life so play every single indie title on xbox and pc I can get my grubby mitts on.

I would love to write a few words about new titles or even just throw them your way so they can get some column space!

I slog my way through the mountains on crap on the xbox indie channel so I can pinpoint the games worth playing (actual decent games rather than 2 minute diversions that are, in reality, not even worth 80 points) and save others the hassle of doing so!

Really looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.. just for the love of god please don't waste the space on all the 'avatar' sh1te on XBLIG

:D
Last edited by ChipTune on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:01 pm

ChipTune wrote:I would LOVE to contribute to the indie section. I used to write articles for a music mag called knowledge many years back so am no stranger to having my gibberish printed. Also I have no life so play ever single indie title on xbox and pc I can get my grubby mitts on.
Hey ChipTune - if you are looking for an outlet for your gibberish it would be most welcome on our site. Drop me a PM if you are interested - oh and I used to read Knowledge when I lived in Bristol in the 2000's! :)
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:33 am

Heavy Stylus wrote:I'd love to help. Jason and I know each other through RGCD, have worked togther before and I'm sure he can vouch for me having a good eye for suitable content for the homebrew section - be it new games for vintage hardware or modern indie releases with retro aesthetics/design. Writing a few thousand words per month would be no problem whatsoever.
I offered to help too as my own site has a dedicated homebrew section and I very much keep up to date on the console side of homebrew, especially the Atari scene which is very active indeed.

Either way if it helps get a better mix of games and not just the usual Commodore, Spectrum and other 8-bit systems covered then it's a good thing. 8)

revivalstudios

Post by revivalstudios » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:30 pm

good to see the homebrew section expanding!

As a homebrew developer myself, i always enjoy reading the section but i agree it can use more console homebrew.

I myself develop am actively developing on videopac/odyssey2, vectrex, colecovision/msx, 2600, dreamcast and will soon release the first newly developed/original game in 30+ years for the Sega SG-1000, so hopefully you guys will be able to read more about these opcoming projects in retrogamer soon!

Also, if you guys need any help i am happy to help out. I have experience with developing for almost every console/handheld and am pretty up to date with homebrew developments on a number of platforms.

chapperz

Post by chapperz » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:21 pm

I think we're (mostly) all agreed that we want more, so that's a good start. I'd like to see more coverage of new games on old machines/hardware, as it's really important to keep the old machines alive. The independent houses like Psytronik are producing quality games with the lavish packaging, artwork etc. which gives you the proper retro experience of a physical product, not just a download (sorry that's my collector gene at work there...)

I'm not really in favour of the XBLIG coverage as they are new games on new hardware and we are covering old machines aren't we? As I put on another post earlier, I love to see people doing stuff "just because they can" so versions of new games on old hardware are always fun (e.g. Halo 2600)

I like the idea of covering obscure machines as well for much the same reasons (new games/old hardware).

Will be interested to see how this goes forward...

Chapperz
Long live the C64!!

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:01 pm

chapperz wrote:I'm not really in favour of the XBLIG coverage as they are new games on new hardware and we are covering old machines aren't we?
You make a good point, but its so hard to find good games on XBLIG thanks to the turd ratio and Microsoft's general apathy to the whole platform that I wouldn't mind being pointed towards the odd retro-style gem.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.