Games that gaming time forgot...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

crusto

Re: Games that gaming time forgot...

Post by crusto » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:27 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
crusto wrote:The Zillion Games on the SMS, no reason why that series couldnt continue. I never played 2 but from what I heard it was generally regarded as better than the 1st. I loved number 1...
That's funny - from what I've heard, number 1 is better than number 2!
The complete guide to consoles begs to differ... :wink:

Eat your nans pants

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:36 am

Bioforge (PC), early-mid 90s I think?

You could beat someone to death with their own arm.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:08 am

Beetle adventure racing (N64). A really fun game that got good reviews at the time but never gets mentioned nowadays.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:05 am

Great call on Terminal Velocity. Loved skimming along the surface then ducking in to a tunnel. Very slick.

How about Ignition on the PC? A fantastic little top down racer (ok, slightly tilted) with loads of character which no one else seems to remember.

Also Hacker and its sequel on the C64? Again only I seemed to like it with my fellow C64 owning mates.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:05 am

A game I play quite often that nobody else seems bothered about is Datastorm on the Amiga. Thought it was awesome back then and I still love it now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCQIp8CRkjA

I am not as good on it as I used to be though. My reactions have slowed down.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:18 am

adippm82 wrote:Others off the top of my head ... Plan B on Electron, and I'll finish with Codename Droid 2 on BBC B.
Certainly not forgotten by me. Plan B I seem to remember came out on Bug Byte roughly at the same time as Dunjunz, and it marked the point that the budget market on the BBC and Electron really exploded. Absolutely phenomenal games for just 2 or 3 quid.

Codename Droid (technically Stryker's Run 2: Codename Droid) was an absolute joy. First moment I used my Electron and genuinely thought I was looking at a game you'd ordinarily see on the C64 or Speccy. One of these days I'm going to sit down with it on an emulator and actually finish it.

As for my suggestions:

Big Red Racing (PC): Criminally underloved racer from Domark (also got a Kixx rerelease). A ridiculous amount of fun. Particularly loved the levels with the Minis, which gave it a great Italian Job feel.

Bubsy 2 (Mega Drive): Was surprised to see this get a sequel at all, after the mauling the original got. I took a punt on it for a fiver at second-hand shop a month or two after it limped out. It's actually a very enjoyable game, and probably one of the better platformers on the MD.

Lemmings 3D (PC): Never got on with this at all. Took me ages to get my old 586 to run it at all, and it was just all a bit maddening. No real surprise there's no great outpouring of teary nostalgia over this.

Blood (PC): Not so much forgotten, just a bit left where it was. Of all the mid-90s FPSs, this is one I am dying to see revived for the current gen. I went more or less straight from MD to PC in gaming terms, circa 96, and although I'd had a quick play on Wolfenstein 3D before, I'd missed Doom first time out and so this was my first proper PC FPS experience. After this, Doom seemed really, really mundane and unimaginative.

Zero Tolerance (MD): While I think of it, here's another. Time hasn't been especially kind to it, but when I first got it, it was an absolute revelation. Probably postponed me moving on from the MD for another year or two as well, as I had it in my head that if the MD could do a proper FPS shooter, there was nothing it couldn't do.

Savage Pond (BBC/Electron): Got a full-price release at some point, but I was only aware of it as a budget game. Really difficult, but so, so addictive. I imagine the moment I got my first frog is one of those gaming achievements I rank up with when other people say they first got ranked as Elite.

Lemming Syndrome (BBC/Electron): A real oddity that's on a Dynabyte collection I used to play to death. You control a raft, and you have to stop people jumping into the sea. Each time you get the raft under them, they bounce in the air. Three bounces and they're back on dry land. As it goes on, it becomes more of a juggle as you have to bounce 1 person, then go back and bounce another, and then return to catch the one that's already in the air, and so forth. Very Game & Watch, but a really good simple idea. There's surely a good iPad port to be had.

Notable mentions: Alex Kidd BMX Trial (MS import), Krusty's Fun House (everything, but particularly on GB), Slap Shot (decent MS hockey game that got completely forgotten once EA Hockey came out on the MD), Mick & Mack Global Gladiators, My Hero (MS), Olympic Gold: Barcelona 92 (one of the best ever Track & Field-style button mashers), Terminator: Future Shock (PC)

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:21 am

I'd love to do an article on Blood, I think it's a great game.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:16 am

The "sequel" of sorts to Terminal Velocity was called Fury3, and it's even better! You can still get the shareware version from ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/deskapps/games/public/Fury3/, works fine on my Windows 7 laptop.

As for Blood, been playing it again recently (it's on GOG!), and it's a LOT harder than I remember - or maybe I'm just getting worse.

C-Dogs was a good one, a DOS game that's a bit like a futuristic Gauntlet.

Also BioMotor Unitron for the Neo Geo Pocket - this is what I was playing when everyone else was playing Pokemon, still got my original robot now!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:15 am

Terminal Velocity & Fury3 get mentioned and Hellbender is still forgotten :P

Some more old PC games that I never see mentioned....

Captain Comic
Crystal Caves
Galactix
Supaplex
The Monuments of Mars
ivortheinjun wrote:Lemmings 3D (PC): Never got on with this at all. Took me ages to get my old 586 to run it at all, and it was just all a bit maddening. No real surprise there's no great outpouring of teary nostalgia over this.
My sister used to play this on our 386. It ran so slowly it had to be played with fast forward on.
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:18 am

How about Forsaken (PC)? Descent's younger, good looking, less confusing younger brother.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:33 am

Projectyle on the Amiga. If you like Speedball, you'll love it. Future sport with mad rules and a unique cross-shaped playing area.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:53 am

Challenge of the Ancient Empires

Yeah, it's an edutainment game, but it is actually a really good puzzle platformer. I played through it multiple times back in the day. A lot of the puzzles involve turning crystals in an attempt to line them up so that a laser bounces into the target. More fun than it sounds!

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:56 am

ivortheinjun wrote:Notable mentions: Alex Kidd BMX Trial (MS import), Krusty's Fun House (everything, but particularly on GB), Slap Shot (decent MS hockey game that got completely forgotten once EA Hockey came out on the MD), Mick & Mack Global Gladiators, My Hero (MS), Olympic Gold: Barcelona 92 (one of the best ever Track & Field-style button mashers), Terminator: Future Shock (PC)
Another great game that I spent hours on, that I had totally forgotten about, Terminator Future Shock, I am sure it was the first game that I used the mouse to look around 360 degrees, was a really good game, set almost entirely in the stark future of the Terminator universe, good plot, some amazing sfx for the time.

I also spent far too much time on the previous Bethesda game Terminator Rampage, infiltrating the Cyberdyne complex in the Cheyenne hills, which had been taken over by the meta node, a huge, highly intelligent robot, that could only be destroyed by assembling a plasma weapon who's parts were scattered around the lower reaches of the base, which was by now crawling with T800s, flying Terminators, which did die rather well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEOnR_2-ohc

Despite some very atmospheric music and effects, the game now reveals itself to be little more than a painfully average corridor shooter, I am not sure it was much cop back in 1993, the worst thing was the crippling lack of ammo, the player often had to back track around the 32 levels to find the odd clip to carry on, very tedious stuff, and when I finally managed to get the gun together, after all that effort, I came across the meta node, shot it a couple of times...the end, no huge boss fight, it really went out with a whimper!!

The game also ran like a dog on my newly upgraded 486, with full detail on, despite it saying on the box 'it really cooks with 486 power'.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:50 am

Would Midtown Madness count? I don't see it mentioned much anymore... that game, with a steering whell, was amazing...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

The Polar One

Post by The Polar One » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:53 pm

Do many people remember Bug Bomber? Don't hear it mentioned often. Spent a lot of time on that over the years, people generally write it off as an inferior bomberman but I also thought it's better, faster, more complex. Four players gets seriously frenetic.