The Missing Retro Gamer features

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:46 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:A feature on Gizmondo covering,

* the main elements of the company's controversial existence
* the commercially released games
* the unreleased commercial games
* the console's multimedia capabilities including GPS Sat Nav, Smart Ads and Augmented Reality - something Nintendo have more recently copied on 3DS
* the home brew scene and how to update the system's firmware so to take advantage of certain software
* the much discussed but never released, afaik, 'Gizmondo 2'
Yeah, that'd be a good one. I miss the "Retroinspections" - I know they've probably covered every machine by now, but still.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:46 am

I'd like to see the publisher P.S.S. covered. And I.J.K. And Severn Software.

Those covered so many of my gaming bases in the early days. They knocked stuff out for many of the 8 bits, including the big hitters like Spectrum but also 'lesser' ones like the Oric and Dragon since there was still a fairly strong market for them all at the time not having the Spectrum and C64 quite dominating yet. Seems like a natural follow on from Salamander who did much the same thing.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:20 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
nakamura wrote:... doing a bit of piracy
:shock:

A "bit" of piracy? Do you have any idea on what scale these game crackers had their illegal warez distributed back in the day?

'... a tsunami of piracy', more like.
Nope, no idea at all which is why I think it could make interesting reading.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:35 pm

nakamura wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
nakamura wrote:... doing a bit of piracy
:shock:

A "bit" of piracy? Do you have any idea on what scale these game crackers had their illegal warez distributed back in the day?

'... a tsunami of piracy', more like.
Nope, no idea at all which is why I think it could make interesting reading.
Fair enough. It's probably immaterial anyway as it'd be difficult to envisage a publication in RG's position to be covering such a thing.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

fujiHunter

Post by fujiHunter » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:36 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
fujiHunter wrote:[*]I'd also like to see an exploration of piracy in the 16-bit software era (Atari ST & Amiga). Covering legendary (& infamous) cracking groups such as Automation, Medway Boys, Pompey Pirates etc etc...
I personally wouldn't wish to see such scum receive any attention whatsoever in Retro Gamer.
I understand and respect your viewpoint - certainly this is an article that could polarise opinion. However, I still think there is much merit in pulling back the curtains and dissecting the darker side of the 16-bit era. Like it or not this was a MASSIVE part of the scene back in the mid 80s/early 90s, and whilst I do not seek to glorify those involved in piracy I certainly think that this issue should not simply be ignored. To investigate it and speak about it does not necessarily mean you agree with it!

A retrospective article on this subject would be a most interesting read and could cover both viewpoints. How successful was FAST? (we all remember the adverts). What steps did developers take to beat the pirates? Why weren't dongles or cartridge based games considered or widely used (ST has a cartridge port)? Also, given that many of the guys involved in piracy had some serious programming skills and made no money from their illegal activities why didn't they go legit and programme professionally (although some did I believe)?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:42 pm

fujiHunter wrote:... Also, given that many of the guys involved in piracy had some serious programming skills and made no money from their illegal activities...
You sure about that? :wink:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:43 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote: Fair enough. It's probably immaterial anyway as it'd be difficult to envisage a publication in RG's position to be covering such a thing.
Yeah it probably wouldn't get covered as it is a very tricky area to get right without glorifying it.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:46 pm

nakamura wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote: Fair enough. It's probably immaterial anyway as it'd be difficult to envisage a publication in RG's position to be covering such a thing.
Yeah it probably wouldn't get covered as it is a very tricky area to get right without glorifying it.
True, although that's not the main reason I was thinking of when making my above quoted comment.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:55 pm

"Guilty Pleasures" threads pop up from time to time & I'd love to see an article where various writers picked an "infamous" game that in their eyes gets unfairly universally slated and explain why it doesn't deserve the criticism levelled at it.

It could be called something like "Case for the Defence" (or preferably something better than that)
jdanddiet wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:I still can't believe you haven't covered the Championship/Football Manager series.
presume you've seen this?

http://www.football-manager.info/articl ... ry-_1.html
Ooooh, bookmarked for later perusal..
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

fujiHunter

Post by fujiHunter » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:58 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
fujiHunter wrote:... Also, given that many of the guys involved in piracy had some serious programming skills and made no money from their illegal activities...
I'll admit my statement was based only on the words of the pirates themselves (they can still be found on retro computer forums using the same old niks they had back in the day). However, as I wasn't involved in this sort of thing of course I cannot be... no doubt some possibly did. Maybe an article could clear this up. ;)

Certainly what is without doubt is that some people were making money out of these activities as any trip to your local dodgy market back in the day would testify to!!!!!!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:14 pm

fujiHunter wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
I'll admit my statement was based only on the words of the pirates themselves (they can still be found on retro computer forums using the same old niks they had back in the day). However, as I wasn't involved in this sort of thing of course I cannot be... no doubt some possibly did. Maybe an article could clear this up. ;)

Certainly what is without doubt is that some people were making money out of these activities as any trip to your local dodgy market back in the day would testify to!!!!!!
I respect your eventual honesty in admitting having based what you said "on the words of the pirates themselves". I'm also well aware of some of the online locations where some of these guys still meet today. In fact some of most vile and pitiful individuals I've ever had the misfortune to encounter online happen to be members of these games cracking collectives. That's not my reason for referring to all such groups as scum though.

GameOver

Post by GameOver » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:37 pm

Totally agree with fujiHunter, regardless of what people think of piracy there is potential for an excellent article. Get in touch with the old ST hackers, and interview them on how they started, why, what kept them going, did they think it was damaging, what are their views these days looking back, what do they think of hacking today, what are they doing now? Rather than go down the route of was it right/wrong, have one article from them and then follow it up with another article from the publisher side, keeping it all to the facts and let's get to hear about what publishers did about it, how did some games leak out before release, did they know who the pirates were, etc... Let the readers decide it was good or bad for themselves.

fujiHunter

Post by fujiHunter » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:46 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote: I respect your eventual honesty in admitting having based what you said "on the words of the pirates themselves". I'm also well aware of some of the online locations where some of these guys still meet today.
Eventual honesty......?
You make it sound like I intentionally misled/deceived in the first instance! I apologise if you think so. My initial comments were typed quickly as an article I would like to read about. That is all, nothing more! I'm the first to admit that I'm no expert on this topic!!... which is possibly why I'd like to see an article on it in RG.
DreamcastRIP wrote:In fact some of most vile and pitiful individuals I've ever had the misfortune to encounter online happen to be members of these games cracking collectives. That's not my reason for referring to all such groups as scum though.
Intriguing. You clearly have very strong feelings/opinions on this subject. May I enquire why?

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:12 pm

A feature with new interviews with the Gaygoyle Games guys. I'd love to hear their views & reasons on why they went from making ground breaking games like 'Tir Na Nog' & 'Heavy On The Magick' to tat like 'Super Trux' for Elite.

Has a making of 'Shadow Man' been done yet?
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Wreck It Ralph - The retro characters and their games.
Games to Movies - How the feature film based on a game comparison, eg story, characters & locations.