The cover (issue 19)

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

AndyH

Re: The cover (issue 19)

Post by AndyH » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:59 am

mr.zzapback wrote:Image

That's looking brilliant! (even inspite of the Speccy -imagine! :wink: )
Can't wait for RG's return!
Andy H

HEWCO (Vic 20 games)
https://hewco.uk -- https://hewco64.itch.io

ovine by design
http://www.ovine.net

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:52 am

CraigGrannell wrote:All fear chinnyhill10's psychic powers!

What were the inside pages like?
Cleaner (if you see what I mean), looking more expensive and slightly less comic like. The one thing I can clearly remember was seeing an ABC figure on the contents page of 72,000!

So since my spooky dream predicted the cover look, I predict the circulation figure will come true.

It's actually reminded me of a wierd dream I had many years ago. I dreamt I won a Micheal Jackson badge. When I woke up in the morning I received what I thought was an empty padded envolope. Inside it I eventually found, wait for it, a Micheal Jackson badge!

Turned out I was runner up in a competetion I'd entered to win a copy of the Moonwalker game. Was still freaked out though!

Markie

Post by Markie » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:28 am

Blimey Chinnyhill!

If we get a circulation of that, I'll throw a party in your honour!

:wink:

Hmmm.. wonder if I can get that as a tax write off?

As for the inside look of the mag.... you've either been looking over my shoulder or entering my mind while I'm asleep! :wink:

merman

Post by merman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:27 am

The cover's great, the inside design is brilliant, great job Markie!

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:15 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:The one thing I can clearly remember was seeing an ABC figure on the contents page of 72,000!
If Retro Gamer achieves that level of circulation (roughly double Edge and gamesâ„¢'s combined), I'll eat my hat*. And be happy, of course**.

* Actually, I won't.
** However, in this case I will.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

DRS

Post by DRS » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:43 am

Can i just add my admiration for Markie's cover design... and urge you mate to hang on to the numerous ones that didn't make it. Retro Heads love stuff like that, especially years later. I just wondered - were you aware of that when at Zzap and saved things you didn't use? Or have we only recently become a bit too 'knowing' and file everything in the 'future retro' section, which perhaps takes away the magic a bit... mmm...

Anyway, whilst it's what's inside that counts (and i know may of us would buy a retro mag if it was done with letraset - in fact, I think we'd all love that ;]), a professional looking cover will certainly attract a wider audience of WHSmith browsers... and once we've got 'em flicking through and the nostalgia starts surging through their veins, we've got the bloody philistines... and that.

Roll on the 8th

Paul @;]

Markie

Re:

Post by Markie » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:05 am

DRS wrote:I just wondered - were you aware of that when at Zzap and saved things you didn't use?
Hey... unfortunately most things were done on pasteboards back in the olden days (when everything was in black and white, and we all had mullets!). I did keep hold of the original art for things like 'Endo & Ecto' from Zzap!64, and the original Ken the Fish drawings and the like.

One thing I do remember when I first started on Zzap!64 was seeing the original dummy pages for No.1 of Zzap!, when it was going to be called "Sprite & Sound". Not as catchy as Zzap!, and was far more like Crash then. If anyone has ever seen this, I'd love to see it again!

It wasn't until we switched to Macs did proper archiving happen, but unfortunately not a lot survives. From the changeover from Newsfield to Europress, and then the closure in 1994, things got trashed (gutting, huh?). I do have some digital Crash & Zzap!64 illustrations of staffers like Ian Osborne & Corky Caswell but again, not much. And they exist on floppy disc which I can no longer read. Who's got a floppy drive on their G5 in this day and age??! :wink:

Now I archive EVERYTHING, just in case. Thank God for Terrabyte drives :)

I think we will at some point show the 'ones that got away for Retro Gamer'. Definitely.

BTW, many thanks for all your kind feedback on RG19. I'm glad people are enjoying what we've done. Makes the late nights worth it! Keep those comments coming! :D

You should see what's happening on No.20... phew... I'm building on the design work of 19, and so far it's looking A LOT better than 19! But that's another story...

:D

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:18 am

cheeky_muffin wrote: not too keen on taking pieces literally from the old Retro Gamer like "OLD"
What's really funny about this is that Live's original cover for Issue 19 actually abandoned the "OLD!" tab and replaced it with one that said "ACE!".

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:35 am

And how do you know this information Mr Day? :shock:

(did you somehow snag a preview PDF?)

Ash

Post by Ash » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:40 am

No comment.

smila

Post by smila » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:11 am

i actually prefer the old covers , they looked retro . even tho the new one has a speccy on it its kinda lost that feeling.
god created the sid chip so hubbard could make music

mr.zzapback

Re:

Post by mr.zzapback » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:11 am

Ash wrote:
cheeky_muffin wrote: not too keen on taking pieces literally from the old Retro Gamer like "OLD"
What's really funny about this is that Live's original cover for Issue 19 actually abandoned the "OLD!" tab and replaced it with one that said "ACE!".
"ALL NEW ACE OLD STUFF" would be cool, a bit long though, I guess... :wink:
*Creator of the DEF Tribute to Zzap!64* www.zzapback.com*

Mort

Post by Mort » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:12 pm

Hi Markie,
I do like the cover, I guess the hints to the dummy issue 1`s must be on the subs page as they show a full page rtype cover poking out and an unknown below that ;-)

ps Roger Kean has Found a fair few dummy covers for me for the Europress Sega and Nintendo force for the newstrade at the time (thanks again Roger!), so hopefully more may be unearthed for the ZZap and Crash days (here`s hoping) :D
Blast another coupon missing, what`s on ebay!

lemon-rev

Post by lemon-rev » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:47 pm

Hello, i like the cover and i like to really see the inside of the mag, when it finally turns up to my door step since i know had to buy 6 issues insted of just 1 per month, could this me a possibility ?. And asking weather or not you plan to do a cover cd' or dvd would you consider it ?.

The cover of the mag looks like one mag i got a while ago called 'Amstrad Action' relating to all things amstrad, since i still have 2 that are fully operational and loading times from tape or disk now, are either 10 to 2 mins in loading, hope to see all the old pplz back in the forum again. i am also a bit shocked at how many pplz have already said something since last night, mytime or during the day, cause i know i have been keeping a keen eye on this site as to when it was going to open. anyway enough. see what happens on next mag or when issue 19 arrives in hand. thanks.

retroisland

Post by retroisland » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:31 am

Just to say that I liked the main headline 'Rubber Love' on the front cover! It was great to stand in the shop queue and hold this out for everyone to wonder what type of magazine I was buying.

Can I request the following months copies to have headlines like 'SID Sex', 'Anal Amstrad', 'Rear-end Retro' and 'S&M Spectrum'?!

Please? :lol: