New SEGA VINTAGE COLLECTIONS on XBLA

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ChipTune

New SEGA VINTAGE COLLECTIONS on XBLA

Post by ChipTune » Wed May 23, 2012 7:00 am

So I logged on this morning and saw two new things on the arcade section marketplace that sparked my interest

SEGA VINTAGE COLLECTIONS

The first one has :

ALEX KIDD IN MIRACLE WORLD
SUPER HANG-ON
REVENGE OF SHINOBI

The second one is a wonderboy special, although INEXCUSABLY, it is missing my favourite one, the original Wonder Boy Arcade game:

WONDERBOY IN MONSTAND LAND (Arcade)
WONDERBOY IN MONSTER WORLD (Mega Drive)
WONDERBOY V (Mega Drive)

They are both 800 points, and come with extras like screen changing options, online leaderboards and mini games etc

There is also news of two more: STREETS OF RAGE COLLECION and GOLDEN AXE COLLECTION forthcoming, though these are all available already on the excellent SEGA MEGA DRIVE COLLECTION, so are utterly pointless apart from the online scoreboards etc (Microsoft also are apparently making these two 400 achievement points each as an extra 'incentive' to get these new packs - note the wonderboy and alex kidd ones out today are only 200 achievement points)

So are these worth it?

Well the Demos are shocking stingy, only letting you play one game of the three in each edition. It should have just let you play all three for a few minutes or something.

The first one sucks because Alex Kidd has aged horribly and hold no appeal to me, Super Hang-On I never liked. revenge of Shinobi is great, and SHOULD have been included on the SEGA MEGA DRIVE COLLECTION. I think 800 points is far too high for this.

The second one is better as the games are good, but for me they belong in the past and I wouldnt pay 800 points for them. You can play them on emulators anyway if you feel the need to revisit them as none of the games warrent an online scoreload or anything, they just arent suited to that. I guess if you are a big fan and want to play WB V which was only released in Japan then it could be worth a shot, though 800 points is still slightly too much..

Overall they should have just made a follow up to the MEGA DRIVE COLLECTION with all of these games and more.

The Streets of Rage / Golden Axe ones to come are a waste of time u nless you simply MUST have scoreboards that you can compete with your online friends..

It's a shame they didn't choose more obscure / hard to find mega drive games, and put more of them on each pack.. 5 at least.. and most importantly.. WHERE THE HELL IS TOEJAM & EARL???

samhain81

Re: New SEGA VINTAGE COLLECTIONS on XBLA

Post by samhain81 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:05 am

Alex Kidd in Miracle World has aged gracefullly as a Master System title. Obviously playing it with a 360 controller would make you think otherwise, it belongs on the master system, and should be played with a master system controller only.

Whoever thinks otherwise of the title, has a heart of stone, and what can I say....folls bod mon.

I think they should stop with these stupid collections, and continue with the disc bases retail collections, continuing with a Vol. 2, maybe with all the RPGS

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Wed May 23, 2012 7:15 am

Hah, bumped an old thread at the same time you posted this :)

I thought they were pretty good value for 800 points, especially the Wonderboy collection as the games in their cart form would probably cost you more individually. Plus you're getting a never before released in europe japan exclusive.

As for your point about emulators, couldnt you apply that to practically any old game? Why pay when you can emulate for free? I think Wonderboy in Monster Land has an score rating at the top of the screen so i would have thought that might use the XBLA leaderboards at least. Plus theres achievements (if you like that kinda thing).
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed May 23, 2012 7:17 am

samhain81 wrote:Alex Kidd in Miracle World has aged gracefullly as a Master System title. Obviously playing it with a 360 controller would make you think otherwise, it belongs on the master system, and should be played with a master system controller only.

Whoever thinks otherwise of the title, has a heart of stone, and what can I say....folls bod mon.

I think they should stop with these stupid collections, and continue with the disc bases retail collections, continuing with a Vol. 2, maybe with all the RPGS

An ideal SEGA MEGA DRIVE COLLECTION 2 for me would have

Toejam & Earl 1 + 2
Rolling Thunder 2 + 3
2 Crude Dudes
Paperboy
Mr Nutz
Gynoug
Revenge of Shinobi
Contra Hard Corps
Castlevania Bloodlines
Virtua Racing
Rocket Knight Adventures
Gunstar Heroes
Ranger-X
Fireshark
Thunderforce 3 + 4
Another World + Flashback
Landstalker
General Chaos
Splatterhouse 2 + 3

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed May 23, 2012 7:17 am

I'll probably pick up the Wonderboy pack when it's on sale at 400pts.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:46 am

ChipTune wrote:
samhain81 wrote:Alex Kidd in Miracle World has aged gracefullly as a Master System title. Obviously playing it with a 360 controller would make you think otherwise, it belongs on the master system, and should be played with a master system controller only.

Toejam & Earl 1 + 2
Rolling Thunder 2 + 3
2 Crude Dudes
Paperboy
Mr Nutz
Gynoug
Revenge of Shinobi
Contra Hard Corps
Castlevania Bloodlines
Virtua Racing
Rocket Knight Adventures
Gunstar Heroes
Ranger-X
Fireshark
Thunderforce 3 + 4
Landstalker
General Chaos
Splatterhouse 2 + 3
Can't argue with that collection!

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed May 23, 2012 7:48 am

The Beans wrote:I'll probably pick up the Wonderboy pack when it's on sale at 400pts.

BINGO!

James A

Post by James A » Wed May 23, 2012 8:43 am

Sega have flogged these games to death after the Sega Megadrive collection. Im betting we'll have a Phantasy Star collection next. For 800 points you can pick the Megadrive collection up second hand.

Would really like to see them bring some old classics back or get a move on and bring some more DC stuff out.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed May 23, 2012 9:00 am

The Wonder Boy games are pretty good and I loved them back in the day, completing them many times, even the Monster World V (with English patch) rom on an emulator.. but this pack failed to ignite any enthusiasm in me. I think SEGA are just filling the gap, and trying to earn a few bucks, before (hopefully) launching some cool stuff on XBLA in the summer .. starting with Jet Set Radio in June / July time.

Also It annoys me that Wonder Boy isn't on there.. I LOVE that game (it holds nostalgic memories for me and I still play it today) and it would have bene ace for online scores.. I would have spent 800 points on this pack without hesitation if that had been on there.. No Sega.. No!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed May 23, 2012 11:16 am

ChipTune wrote:The Wonder Boy games are pretty good and I loved them back in the day, completing them many times, even the Monster World V (with English patch) rom on an emulator.. but this pack failed to ignite any enthusiasm in me. I think SEGA are just filling the gap, and trying to earn a few bucks, before (hopefully) launching some cool stuff on XBLA in the summer .. starting with Jet Set Radio in June / July time.

Also It annoys me that Wonder Boy isn't on there.. I LOVE that game (it holds nostalgic memories for me and I still play it today) and it would have bene ace for online scores.. I would have spent 800 points on this pack without hesitation if that had been on there.. No Sega.. No!
Same here; got excited when I first read your post thinking it would be the PS2 Sega Ages Wonderboy collection with Leaderboards and achievements, and to me would be worth the price of admission to play Wonder boy on a TV..

The PS2 Wonderboy collection has the arcade Wonder Boy, every Master System Game Gear and Megadrive Wonderboy and even the SG 3000 Wonderboy 1, why couldn't Sega have done this?
Last edited by Shinobi on Wed May 23, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed May 23, 2012 11:58 am

It really p1sses me off to be honest, I know there are more important things going on but these packs just reek of little-to-no-effort being made.. why the hell isnt Wonder Boy on there??? It just baffles me, they own it, it's a popular game.. sometimes the things companies do just make zero sense. It mostly annoy me because if they can't be bothered to include WB on a WB Compilation then what's the chance of it ever appearing on a download service like this.

Seriously : Wonder boy Collection including 2 + 3 + 4 .. but no 1 = NO GOD DAMN SENSE AT ALL!!!!!

I won't buy it on thesegrounds.. and it really does make you wonder who makes these decisions at SEGA... maybe a drunken 'pick the name out of a hat' game 10 minutes before everyone leaves work on a friday?? It would appear so.. Putting Alex Kidd with super hang-on and revenge of shinobi is clearly the work on some kind of lobotomised chimp.

Who can I email about this, as I really do want an official explanation as to why the first game in the series wasn't included.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed May 23, 2012 12:01 pm

I heard a rumor that the SOR Collection would have the original Japanese Bare Knuckle versions of the games. No idea if that's true, but it would be the only real selling point to me if this was on offer for 400 points (That and achievements).
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Wed May 23, 2012 12:28 pm

Each game in this collection is also available on the PS3 individually. @ £3.69 each :lol:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed May 23, 2012 12:33 pm

samhain81 wrote:
ChipTune wrote:

Toejam & Earl 1 + 2
Rolling Thunder 2 + 3
2 Crude Dudes
Paperboy
Mr Nutz
Gynoug
Revenge of Shinobi
Contra Hard Corps
Castlevania Bloodlines
Virtua Racing
Rocket Knight Adventures
Gunstar Heroes
Ranger-X
Fireshark
Thunderforce 3 + 4
Landstalker
General Chaos
Splatterhouse 2 + 3
Can't argue with that collection!
But all the different publishers involved would :D

K1NGARTH3R

Post by K1NGARTH3R » Wed May 23, 2012 12:55 pm

Both look great, I've downloaded the trials and got all nice feelings from playing them.

Will buy at the weekend when I have time to play