Games that intentionally have no ‘game-play’

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GarryG

Games that intentionally have no ‘game-play’

Post by GarryG » Tue May 15, 2012 10:31 am

Ok, so normally games with no game-play are rubbish, but what about those things that intentionally break this mould?

I’ve recently been playing ‘Dear Esther’ and I liked it. This also made me break out my old ‘LSD Dream Emulator’ for the PS1.
I also like ‘The Path’ and ‘Fluid’ both of which have also been slated for having ‘no game-play.’

So what do you think of ‘games’ like this?
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

speedlolita

Re: Games that intentionally have no ‘game-play’

Post by speedlolita » Tue May 15, 2012 10:34 am

I've only played LSD out of those, but my stance on them is that they're interesting. I mean, they're games so not including gameplay is a bit of a risk really.

Still, rather play LSD than something like Dynasty Warriors..
Logged out 15/07/2014.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue May 15, 2012 10:40 am

Fluid was okay until I realised you couldn't actually make any music as such, just create short loops. After that it started to feel a bit limited.
Last edited by killbot on Tue May 15, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue May 15, 2012 10:51 am

LSD has that ‘one more go’ addictive quality, but for no fathomable reason because you don’t ‘do’ anything.

I suppose ‘The Path’ is the closest to having a point, albeit a fairly arbitrary one. If you play the game ‘correctly’ you do nothing but walk in a straight line!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue May 15, 2012 8:40 pm

What else have you played that is like this?
I'd like to gather a list of things to have a look at.

I also remember having Lamasoft`s 'Trip-A-Tron' and 'Colourspace,' but I don't have these now :(
I'd be pushed to call these 'games' though!

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Tue May 15, 2012 9:50 pm

It really depends how you define 'Gameplay'. Its a very ambiguous term. What makes shooting things to progress/survive to be considered gameplay more so than wandering around a forest aimlessly without any goal?
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Wed May 16, 2012 1:48 pm

sim brick on the amiga is a classic example.

i quite like games like electroplankton, something different, a bit more like modern art than a game.

does dead or alive extreme volleyball count as that was made intentionally with no game play :lol:

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed May 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Laserdisc games have little or no gameplay eg: Dragon's Lair!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed May 16, 2012 7:06 pm

What about that Tubiular Bells on the Commodore 64.. I remember having some translated Love Hina game on the GBA that had no gameplay :lol:
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Fri May 18, 2012 9:34 am

Psychedelia - Llamasoft
I played this on both the C64 & C16. It was really just a user-defined lightshow demonstration, nothing more than that. No idea what the yak was smoking then.

Little Computer People - Activision
I had the C64 version of this. I would say that there is no gameplay as such, it's more of a limited SIMS simulation where you type commands to make him do pointless things, no score or missions and not that much to do. Try as you might you can't kill the little guy or his dog through starvation, it just merely makes them a little sick. It's the original SIMS game but with no real gameplay, strangely enough though it had me hooked for a while.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:57 am

resident paul wrote:Laserdisc games have little or no gameplay eg: Dragon's Lair!
That's a matter of opinion.

I'd say they have very fixed gameplay, quite the opposite of what the OP raised. There's no way to play a laserdisc game other than precisely how the designers planned. Its perhaps the least freeform genre of any of them.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun May 20, 2012 9:39 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
resident paul wrote:Laserdisc games have little or no gameplay eg: Dragon's Lair!
That's a matter of opinion.

I'd say they have very fixed gameplay, quite the opposite of what the OP raised. There's no way to play a laserdisc game other than precisely how the designers planned. Its perhaps the least freeform genre of any of them.
After giving the XBLA version of Dragon's Lair a spin I totally understand why people would see it as having no gameplay. It really does feel as if you're doing nothing when you play, even though you're dead right about the fixed gameplay. This isn't helped by the fact that the game's one big draw from when it was first released has now been made redundant. The graphics have been totally surpassed. Even the slight novelty of QTE has gone now that games often feature them. The game has probably got a lot of younger gamers wondering why anybody bothered releasing it.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.