Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kiwimike

Re: Ever been tempted to sell your collection?

Post by kiwimike » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Holy ****, 200 systems?!! Man, some of you guys have got serious collections! That has to take up some serious amount of room.
Lol, I don't think I could ever have called myself a collector! :lol: Had half a dozen machines at most, anywhere up to 100 games on each... And that was bad enough roomwise.
Mentioned in another topic I do like the idea of finding one single system to get passionate about and collecting soley for that. After much argueing with myself, the one machine I go back to again and again is the Vectrex. But would require finding one local, I shudder at the thought of one freighted here and getting smashed.

Anyone thought of deciding to cull the collection down to one system, and just sticking to that?

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:08 am

mlucifersam wrote:No way! I have only just about gathered up most of the stuff I originally had, then sold on, back in the day. I've got most of it all again, all in one room. I don't drink or smoke (any more) so it's all there now for when I wanna go and have a blast.

Pointless selling it, prices are going up and if I did sell, I'd only end up wanting to get it all back again in 10 years time and wouldn't be able to afford to!
I know a few people that have sold their collections, missed it and bought it back again.

Personally I have no intention of ever selling my games. I rarely ever sell a game unless I despise it so much that I know that I just won't ever play it again. Last one that happened to was Unreal Tournament 2 on Xbox.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:19 am

hydr0x wrote: If your only reason to buy a retro game is to play it, then don't buy it
Hydrox, this makes no sense. I buy retro games to play... why should I not do this?

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:33 am

retrojc wrote:
hydr0x wrote: If your only reason to buy a retro game is to play it, then don't buy it
Hydrox, this makes no sense. I buy retro games to play... why should I not do this?
I dont get it either.

Well, I think it might be the whole "these old games havent aged well" kind of viewpoint that some people have, yet it's "part of their childhood!" or something like that so they'll buy it anyway even if they'll never actually want to play it.... maybe that sort of thing.

.....which is, frankly, equally baffling.

I buy alot of retro games myself. I play all of them. When I'm in the mood for retro games, I'll often choose something completely at random and stick it in. So they all get played. Bought them.... to play them. Makes sense.

Dont get me wrong, I'm even happier with them if I have the box and manual and stuff, but I dont want the games just SITTING in the box on a shelf somewhere.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:59 am

Owning a game that's not getting played is a little like making love to a beautiful woman.

You've gotta realise you have to stick it in to get the most enjoyment.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:30 am

Busy selling a lot of my MD stuff at the moment, just keeping the old favourites (Golden Axe, ESWAT etc..).

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:31 am

Freestyler wrote:Owning a game that's not getting played is a little like making love to a beautiful woman.

...But with a game you can control volume and difficulty level... :wink:

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:40 am

kiwimike wrote:
Freestyler wrote:Owning a game that's not getting played is a little like making love to a beautiful woman.

...But with a game you can control volume and difficulty level... :wink:
And very rarely does a game object to a 4-Player co-op. :wink:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Over the years I've sold more games then I've kept, some things are just too hard to part with though, my Vectrex for one.

stonedwal

Post by stonedwal » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:07 am

In all honesty, it's been the modern parts of the collection that I've been more tempted to sell as of late. The price wars on games in the UK have proved quite lucrative to Australians like myself through importing. The lower prices have resulted in me not being as picky as I used to be, so I've got a few Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 games whose days are numbered now that space is at a bit of a premium on the bookshelves.

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:23 am

I've got boxes upon boxes of games and consoles just sat in the spare room covered in piles of washing and towels. Last count 2 yrs or so ago before i boxed them up to move house, I had 800+ games and 25+ consoles (includes doubles & region variants). There's a box somewhere with over 100-150 loose snes/sfc carts that i've never even played.. i think that's when i realised enough was enough. I've been selling stuff over the past few yrs but honestly this could take forever and the Ebay/selling process is painstaking.

I'm keeping one of each console i own, my 200 or so shmups, some boxed gems like Chrono trigger and Secret Of Mana and games that hold memories. Alot of my modern stuff that i'll play again, Fallout series, Skyrim, Mass Effect series, Red Dead, Uncharted series, but even that i've trimmed down. From 60+ Ps3 games to just 9. Very much out of sight, out of mind with my collection these days. Even boycotted digital downloads awhile back because i had nearly 100 games over the current gen consoles.. ridiculous. From buying obsession to reality check.

Funny thing is I can say all that yet... i'm still buying stuff!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:03 pm

I must admit I'm seriously tempted to get rid of it all now that I have extensive travelling lined up..

My only trouble is I'd rather sell joblots than individual. If I sold a £3 Xbox game on the bay, by the time I cover a jiffy bag, postage, paypal & ebay fees I'd likely be making a loss :shock:

If I am to sell I'll be starting with my Vita and moving downward...suppose it depends if any soul actually WANTS the stuff :lol:

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:44 pm

Rayne wrote:I must admit I'm seriously tempted to get rid of it all now that I have extensive travelling lined up..

My only trouble is I'd rather sell joblots than individual. If I sold a £3 Xbox game on the bay, by the time I cover a jiffy bag, postage, paypal & ebay fees I'd likely be making a loss :shock:

If I am to sell I'll be starting with my Vita and moving downward...suppose it depends if any soul actually WANTS the stuff :lol:
Are you sick of your Vita already?

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Ferret Oxide wrote:
Rayne wrote:I must admit I'm seriously tempted to get rid of it all now that I have extensive travelling lined up..

A lot of people seem to be. :? I saw 4 in Cash Generator earlier on when I went in for a quick look, all boxed and looked in mint/near mint condition too.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:32 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
Ferret Oxide wrote:

A lot of people seem to be. :? I saw 4 in Cash Generator earlier on when I went in for a quick look, all boxed and looked in mint/near mint condition too.
Ah, the disposible 'I want' generation...need the latest thing and get bored fast. Change their phones more often than the undies