The Hardest thing possible for a Retro Gamer to do.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DreamcastRIP

Re: The Hardest thing possible for a Retro Gamer to do.

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:42 pm

Kirby - so cute and cuddly for teh kiddies.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:13 pm

The hardest thing possible for a Retro Gamer to do? Admit that what they like is actually a bit crap really. When you look at it without goggles on.

Yes indeed. Using the "Playability is all that matters" argument to justify still playing some obscure Acornsoft game - while games such as Saints Row 3, MW3, Skyrim, SFIV, Tribes: Ascend etc exist right here - right now is just nonsense.

By all means continue to play those wonderful Retro titles, just like I do. Just don't disappear up your own bumhole because you think everything released after 1990 is somehow inferior. Or the "Kermode" as it's popularly known.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:55 pm

No real fan of SEGA it has to be said, but Psycho Pinball on the Megadrive is in my top 5 games ever. Certainly one of the best pinball games ever made, imo.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:01 pm

Freestyler wrote:The hardest thing possible for a Retro Gamer to do? Admit that what they like is actually a bit crap really. When you look at it without goggles on.

Yes indeed. Using the "Playability is all that matters" argument to justify still playing some obscure Acornsoft game - while games such as Saints Row 3, MW3, Skyrim, SFIV, Tribes: Ascend etc exist right here - right now is just nonsense.

By all means continue to play those wonderful Retro titles, just like I do. Just don't disappear up your own bumhole because you think everything released after 1990 is somehow inferior. Or the "Kermode" as it's popularly known.
Utter rubbish and quite insulting really. I don't enjoy playing any of the games you listed. Everyone has their own tastes and because they like something different to you it dosn't make them wrong.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:14 pm

crusto wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:you know what, I don't think I can honstly say I dislike a company or console.
Same here. I've obviously got my favourites. But who hasn't?
This, over and over.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:19 pm

Freestyler wrote:Just don't disappear up your own bumhole because you think everything released after 1990 is somehow inferior. Or the "Kermode" as it's popularly known.
Or to give it its original term, the "Gambaccini".

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:48 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
Freestyler wrote:The hardest thing possible for a Retro Gamer to do? Admit that what they like is actually a bit crap really. When you look at it without goggles on.

Utter rubbish and quite insulting really. I don't enjoy playing any of the games you listed. Everyone has their own tastes and because they like something different to you it dosn't make them wrong.
Aye, this. I dont care about any of those, except for Skyrim, and even then, that only holds my attention briefly, so I'm still.... what, level 5? I havent gone any further. Yet stuff like old arcade games or something like Zelda 2 (the current NES game I've been playing alot) will hold my attention indefinitely.

Hah, it is kinda fun though, to see the reactions from more "typical" gamers, when I'll gladly play something like Galaxian instead of Modern Whatsit 37 or whatever damn FPS is the big one.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:32 pm

Freestyler:I posted earlier in PSP collecting thread? how, whilst my most recent addition to my PSP collection had CFW and emulators put on it, i'd deleted the C64 emulator, as i'd pretty much played everything i wanted to on that format and also as i still had said emulator on soft modded xbox.

I like to mix my Retro in with my current gen gaming, bought and completed MW3, dabbled online for a bit, but for myself, it was a MW too far, whilst i've loved sooo many games this generation and will no doubt continue to do so, i wonder how many i'll return to in say 2 generations time?.The onlineside will be long dead, servers closed, but which i wonder will be seen as 'classics' in the way i treat Xcom, Bubble Bobble, Robocop (arcade), Final Fight, SOR 2, Boulderdash etc?.

Half the HD remakes i seem to buy seem to be serving up poor or in some cases worse versions than the originals Multi-player modes missing, resolutions increased, but not texture quality...think i'll be needing to hold onto original platforms

GameOverYeah

Post by GameOverYeah » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:11 pm

I seriously dislike Konami right now. Which is sad because 10 years ago they were one of my favourite publishers, where did it go wrong? Well let me tell you.

They refused to release Suikoden 3 over here and instead waited for the absolute dire IV instead which pretty much killed the series despite Suikoden V being good again. They then dismantled the original development team and have proceeded to make spin off of the series ever since...on handhelds. That is one of my favourite series destroyed.

They created Vandal Hearts 1 and 2 which I consider one of the best SRPG's out there and then refused to release another despite Disgaea breathing new life into the genre during the PS2 days. They did eventually notice this and decided to create a Suikoden Tactics game instead just after Suikoden IV had been destroyed by its fans and critics. It did release a XBLA game years later but instead of using ether the anime art style of the first or the realistic dark theme of the second they decided to use penny arcade comic book look instead. The only way it could have been worse is if they made it into animated stick men. Favourite series number 2 destroyed.

They allowed Pro Evolution Soccer to stagnate and fall behind Fifa which had been its whipping boy for years. Now its so far behind they might as well call it a day for the series in my opinion. Series number three.

And the cherry on top, the horrendous treatment of the Silent Hill series. Where to begin? They forced Team Silent to make their spin off game into Silent Hill 4 at the last moment. They then proceeded to close the development studio down because that was a bad move and it didn't do so well. They then whored the series out to multiple western companies (and continue to do so) who have no past history of good games, no understanding of the series or the genre. The last straw came from the utter failure of the HD collection in which they have cut key cut scenes out in case it might offend someone (even though these scenes have been available for 10 years without offence), they have removed fog from Silent Hill 2 a staple of the series that is required to build atmosphere and changed voice actors because they didn't want to pay people who did their job and instead employed someone else who didn't give a censored about the game or the role.

Probably a long rant, but I have seriously had enough of Konami now. They have single handedly wrecked some of my favourite franchises by shere incompetence for the past 10 years. If that is not enough to hate a company, then I don't know what is.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:47 am

GameOverYeah wrote:I seriously dislike Konami right now. Which is sad because 10 years ago they were one of my favourite publishers, where did it go wrong? Well let me tell you.

They refused to release Suikoden 3 over here and instead waited for the absolute dire IV instead which pretty much killed the series despite Suikoden V being good again. They then dismantled the original development team and have proceeded to make spin off of the series ever since...on handhelds. That is one of my favourite series destroyed.

They created Vandal Hearts 1 and 2 which I consider one of the best SRPG's out there and then refused to release another despite Disgaea breathing new life into the genre during the PS2 days. They did eventually notice this and decided to create a Suikoden Tactics game instead just after Suikoden IV had been destroyed by its fans and critics. It did release a XBLA game years later but instead of using ether the anime art style of the first or the realistic dark theme of the second they decided to use penny arcade comic book look instead. The only way it could have been worse is if they made it into animated stick men. Favourite series number 2 destroyed.

They allowed Pro Evolution Soccer to stagnate and fall behind Fifa which had been its whipping boy for years. Now its so far behind they might as well call it a day for the series in my opinion. Series number three.

And the cherry on top, the horrendous treatment of the Silent Hill series. Where to begin? They forced Team Silent to make their spin off game into Silent Hill 4 at the last moment. They then proceeded to close the development studio down because that was a bad move and it didn't do so well. They then whored the series out to multiple western companies (and continue to do so) who have no past history of good games, no understanding of the series or the genre. The last straw came from the utter failure of the HD collection in which they have cut key cut scenes out in case it might offend someone (even though these scenes have been available for 10 years without offence), they have removed fog from Silent Hill 2 a staple of the series that is required to build atmosphere and changed voice actors because they didn't want to pay people who did their job and instead employed someone else who didn't give a censored about the game or the role.

Probably a long rant, but I have seriously had enough of Konami now. They have single handedly wrecked some of my favourite franchises by shere incompetence for the past 10 years. If that is not enough to hate a company, then I don't know what is.

Ah yes, I remember Suikoden IV coming out and everybody hating it. I never tried that one myself, based on alot of that. V was pretty good though, I need to go back and finish it at some point.

I dont hate Konami myself, but.... I also dont see them as all that relevant most of the time.

Though I DO greatly dislike what they did with Castlevania recently. Lords of Shadow, uuuuuugh. I try to pretend that that game never happened. After SO MANY good games in the series..... that one just.... argh. Argh!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:12 am

I'm still standing by what I initially said. As far as I'm concerned games are games. It shouldn't matter what you play. So somebody saying they like Modern Warfare 3 or Angry Birds shouldn't give anyone any license (especially on this forum) to say that they're somehow not a "real" gamer. Or a "Retro" Gamer at that. MW3 has so many retro gaming tropes running through it I'm surprised it's not running on an old 386 PC! :lol:

Seriously though, if you don't like crap like MW3, Battlefield 3 and whatever (and who can blame you really) then that is completely and utterly fine. But if your chief objection to them is that they're not Manic Miner then you need a glass of GTFO to wash down all that STFU.

Games are games. That is all.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:20 am

Freestyler wrote:I'm still standing by what I initially said. As far as I'm concerned games are games. It shouldn't matter what you play. So somebody saying they like Modern Warfare 3 or Angry Birds shouldn't give anyone any license (especially on this forum) to say that they're somehow not a "real" gamer. Or a "Retro" Gamer at that. MW3 has so many retro gaming tropes running through it I'm surprised it's not running on an old 386 PC! :lol:

Seriously though, if you don't like crap like MW3, Battlefield 3 and whatever (and who can blame you really) then that is completely and utterly fine. But if your chief objection to them is that they're not Manic Miner then you need a glass of GTFO to wash down all that STFU.

Games are games. That is all.

Ooh, I agree with this. I haaaaate when people say something like "If you're playing casual games, you're not a REAL gamer".

Yeah, see, thing is, there was a time when games like Bejeweled would be sold at FULL price point, by themselves, on the NES or similar consoles, and everyone was TOTALLY fine with it. Not only totally fine, but alot of the games were just GOOD and quite popular.

Something like Angry Birds.... I always wanna shout at people that say it's "not a real game". It's like, ok, have YOU played it? I mean, REALLY played it? It's bloody DIFFICULT! It's not like some super easy game designed for people who never do gaming. Alot of so-called "casual" games are like that, when you actually give them a chance and really dive into them. And really, stuff like Angry Birds usually gets popular for a reason: Because the gameplay is simply GOOD.

I play some of the hardest of the hardcore games out there, and I dont consider "casuals" like Angry Birds or whatever to be any less of a game than those are.

As for being a "gamer".... if you play alot of games and it's like, your main hobby/interest, you're a gamer, simple as that. I have decided that this is so.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:30 am

I like a huge range of games, i do love retro but i'm not blinkered enough to stop playing any games from say 1995 onwards as i want to play 'just' retro. Just for me now its also about convenience, i love playing iOS games (and before that pocket pc) as i'm busy a lot so i can fit in games here and there, work away from home a fair bit and couldnt lug a console with me.

A lot is obviously to do with nostalgia whether its memories of early Grandstand bat and ball type games, seeing my cousins Atari 2600 which was brilliant, playing old Game and Watches, memories of early Speccy games, or Doom/Red Alert and getting addicted to those on the PC, early Gameboy games which were amazing to play, to GTA IV when i bought a PSX2 solely for that amazing game. Do like to rekindle all those memories from the past. Even now i still get some great gaming moments, i'm like a kid when i look at my ipod touch and think 'this is the best gadget ever, most of my favourite games on this tiny device, a dream'.

As others have said i'm just a gamer, dont have time for the latest consoles (just due to family/work etc) but i'm happy to see how popular gaming is still years later and how well received retro is.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:14 am

I can understand why some people think that modern games are just, well... Blegh. Every major release at one point seemed to be yet another brown and grey cover-based shooter or Halo/Modern military clone. But that's doing the entire gaming spectrum a disservice. Kinda' like how every game nowadays seems to be yet another one-on-one 2D-style fighter. Who'd have thought the FPS phase would die down enough to let something else have a try?!? :lol:

Viva Live Arcade and Xbox Indies. Just don't click on how many Minecraft rip-offs are currently doing the rounds*.... :oops:

*Although Castle Miner and Total Miner: Forge are pretty nifty I must say.

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:24 am

Freestyler wrote:I can understand why some people think that modern games are just, well... Blegh. Every major release at one point seemed to be yet another brown and grey cover-based shooter or Halo/Modern military clone. But that's doing the entire gaming spectrum a disservice. Kinda' like how every game nowadays seems to be yet another one-on-one 2D-style fighter. Who'd have thought the FPS phase would die down enough to let something else have a try?!? :lol:

Viva Live Arcade and Xbox Indies. Just don't click on how many Minecraft rip-offs are currently doing the rounds*.... :oops:

*Although Castle Miner and Total Miner: Forge are pretty nifty I must say.
Total Miner actually IS kinda neat. It actually did some different things with the formula instead of being a direct clone. The clones arent a surprise though. "Minecraft is a genre now", is something I've heard, and it's true.

Anyway, I really dont think the FPS phase has died down AT ALL yet. Still just as many. And the fighting games.... ehhh, there's not that many of them just yet. It's just that Capcom runs around blowing horns and screaming about how awesome they are, so you bloody HEAR about their games over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

That, and Mortal Kombat became relevant again. That's not a complaint, mind you.

Sadly though, everyone I know..... still playing the blasted FPS games pretty much non-stop. With a brief pause for Mass Effect.