The NFL 'craze' of the mid 80s to early 90s

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Mire Mare

Re: The NFL 'craze' of the mid 80s to early 90s

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:33 pm

Yea, that was bad. Giants would have gone in ahead otherwise. Now the Pats look like they're starting to click :(

Come on Giants!!! They need a good drive here!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Phewwwwwww

Damn that was close. Bradshaw nearly had the most stupid selfish play of all time. Surely they told him to kneel down?

Phew!

Plus I had £25 on the giants to win!!

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:07 pm

YAY!!! That was awesome, epic and seriously nail biting!! I was totally hyped in the last 5 mins and couldn't sit down!

I had £20 on the Giants :twisted:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 pm

Same here. I was so nervous. So glad the pats lost

Bed in a few a minutes. Very happy!!

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:18 pm

psj3809 wrote:Same here. I was so nervous. So glad the pats lost

Bed in a few a minutes. Very happy!!

8)

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:14 pm

So... er... Peyton Manning to Denver. And, Tebow to the Jets!* :shock: That's barring some issue around a $5,000,000 fee.

So the Jets extend Sanchez, and pay big money, and then sign Tebow to play second fiddle.... I'm not sure how this is going to play out. The first couple of times Sanchez throws a pick it won't be surprising to hear the crowd chant for Tebow :roll:

Jets also signed LaRon Landry from the Skins which I am pleased about and also one of the Raiders WR, Schilens.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:19 am

Ha ha was just about to start a new post.

Yep I'm gutted about Manning as i'm a huge fan and now hes gone to the rival Broncos ! But very surprised at that move, shame Alex Smith didnt tell the Niners to sod off as that could have been interesting.

The Saints, naughty naughty ! Very surprised at the penalties for them so far, glad Goodell is being harsh though.

Tebow to the Jets surprised me, apparently he could have gone to the Jags, i would have as he could have started, with the Jets he'll just be a gimic QB and wont play much.

Chaz Schilens is made of glass, so much potential but is always injured, you know its sods law he signs for someone else and then will be healthy but we'll see. Weird about Sanchez, had a very up and down year last year to say the least and then gets that huge contract, thought at one stage the Jets might have gone after a new QB as there were rumours about Manning. Hope Tebow-mania calms down now, was ridiculous last year, the guy had a ton of luck i admit and had some exciting games but i cant see that happening year in year out.

Free agency has been quite exciting though, better than last year when due to the lockout nothing happened all offseason

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:43 am

I support the Dallas Cowboys because Hank Hill does.

And also becuase Dallas had a brilliant wrestling promotion in the 80's.
And this bird you'll never change...

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:19 am

Big game at Meadowlands this weekend, psj ;)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:39 am

Ha ha yeah i dont normally think 'the raiders will win this one', i always think the worst but this is one game where they better !

Its been a strange season, McKenzie signed Matt Flynn (disaster), then got lucky as Terrelle Pryor was on the roster, he seemed the next big thing the first month and then has regressed and regressed. Then Matt McGloin, an undrafted rookie starts and does well ! Is he the answer ? Who knows, the next 4 games will be big for next season to decide whether he is.

McKenzie has done a great job with the cap as the Raiders have about 65 mill to spend next year whereas past years they were already 20 mill over the cap before free agency began. 10 of 11 starters on defense are new so it proves the overpriced crap he cut was worth it.

As for the Jets, i must admit i wanted Oakland to draft Geno Smith last year. But Smith has regressed badly, hes been appalling the last few games. No way should Matt Simms start, hes a perrenial backup. You have a rookie 1st rounder in Smith, he needs gametime, yeah there'll be bad games but its part of the learning curve. Aikman was 0-11 as a rookie and threw 9 td's and 18 ints i think it was.

I'm away early monday so i'm glad this is the early 6pm game as i wouldnt be able to watch it if it was the late game. I'll be watching it live on NFL Gamepass. The Raiders better win !

Oakland are better than last years team, the o-line is slowly getting back into shape after a ton of injuries, defensively (bar the Eagles game) they're much better. Rashard Jennings however might not play (concussion) so with injury prone McFadden out the Raiders might be down to their 3rd or 4th string RB. The seasons over but i just hope McGloin keeps playing well.

Same for you, somehow the Jets are still in the playoff hunt but it'll be one and done if you somehow get there, best thing for you is if Geno Smith just plays well regardless of the W/L column. If he keeps regressing even more the Jets fans will really turn against him even more.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:35 pm

If there are things the Jets and Raiders have on common it's 'potential' and 'rebuilding' :lol: Before the buy week I would allow myself to look at the last 4/5 games and think 'we can win them'! Not now! I don't know how the Jets are still in post season contention. It's only mathematical as in reality they're just not good enough to make it.

But really, thinking back to August, I can't say I'm surprised at where the Jets are considering the rookie QB and the rebuilding that's going on. 5 wins, including beating Pats and Saints, is something! It's amazing when looking at the loses! The problem for Rex is if they loose all the games after the buy. He could be a goner.

As for Geno, I read that apparently his form tailed off badly when he was at West Virginia too. He'd start the season brightly, throw some good balls and be a threat but as the games go on he becomes less and less effective. The thought being that other teams could shut him down too easily once they worked him out. He may not have enough tools for the NFL. Honestly, I liked what I saw of Geno early on. He showed promise. But now, well, time will tell. I agree about Simms, he's got nothing. Geno has to start the final 4 games. No doubt. Rex has said he'll start against the Raiders. The Jets have to play him to have a better idea of what they have. Similar with McGloin - is he the real deal?? Got to play him to find out! Mornhinweg needs to unshackle Geno, mix up the offensive plays, get play action working and on and on and *sigh* The Jets offence plays too defensively and is playing scared. And that's a self fulfilling prophesy!

Oh, I was so glad to see Schillens go! Problem is that Hill is just as bad and Holmes doesn't want to be there! It's a sad state of affairs. Jets passed up on numerous decent WRs in the last few drafts and that need to change.

I'll be watching it live too. If I have the stomach for it! The Jets have been horrible to watch the last few weeks. Just horrible! I hope they do some kind of job, any kind of job(!), against your boys but I'm not confident at all. Do you Tweet? I may have to annoy you through the game :) @drmiremare if you do. Jets for the W! 8)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:59 am

I know 'potential' and rebuilding are two frustrating words ! So often i think 'i think Oakland have a really good team, honestly do....' and then obvious things happen and you finish 4-12 ! I've learnt over the years now not to get too excited as i might see some young WR play well in preseason but i'm sure fans of the other 31 teams do as well with their own players and then they do nothing.

Schilens had potential at Oakland, played well for a 7th round pick but was just too brittle and never became 'that guy'. Same for DH-Bey who is now with the Colts, Al gambled on DHB instead of Crabtree, the thought was Russell throwing bombs to the speedy DHB but DHB had bad hands and is doing badly at Indy this year.

As for Geno i think fans/teams have to pretend its the 80's, where theres no free agency. You drafted a young QB and they started for 3 or 4 seasons, Elway was crap his rookie year, so was Aikman, granted they showed potential but overall they were poor.

But Geno needs a 1200 yard style running back to help out, much easier when that happens ! He has no WR's either, Holmes is just average, the rest no one knows (apart from Jet fans). But letting Simms play last week was a worthless task. It was like last year with the Raiders, the Raiders were out of the playoffs early on, bench Carson Palmer and start Pryor for the rest of the year, they didnt, Pryor only started one game last year.

Geno needs to take the rough with the smooth, its all a learning experience. Even when Geno finishes this year the Jets have to start him next year, you cant keep flip flopping QB's. Problem is nowadays everyone expects a rookie QB to do a 'manning/RG III/Matt Ryan/Russell Wilson' and play so well at the beginning, thats pretty rare stuff like that happens

Should be an interesting game, i can handle a loss IF the QB plays well, if its 28-7 and the QB throws for 120 yards its just so frustrating. I hope McGloin does well, however without a rushing attack (IF Jennings doenst play) then it'll be tricky. Jennings had more combined yards in November than any other running back, hes been a great pickup. McFadden is 100% gone, do love D-Mac but never lived up to the hype out of college, one good year and tons of injury prone ones

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:01 am

By the way its great how well the Wembley games are doing, half a million people turned up for the tailgate party apparently.

I still think its risky to move say the Jaguars to London if we get a franchise. Problem is many of us like you and me who have followed the sport for years have our own teams, do i travel 250 miles to London to see the Jaguars on a sunday when i can watch Oakland live at home ? I'm not comparing them to the London Monarchs but when the Monarchs went 9-1 and won it all, tons of hype, packed out Wembley. Following year 3-6-1 and low low crowds.

If London get an NFL team the second they go 3-13/4-12 only the hardcore will go and crowds wont be as good. Hope thats not the case but i am fearful for it. Granted they'll probably support the opposition if its 'their team' playing but still a risk

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:43 am

Yep, seems to be a roaring success having NFL at Wembley although I'm ashamed to say I haven't been to any of the games! Do the teams accept an invite to play or are they chosen? I keep looking for a Jets visit but no luck :( Not the same calibre of team but I've been to see the Chester Romans and the Dundee Hurricanes a few times :oops:

Have to agree about the risks. I wouldn't switch my allegiance if the UK got a franchise. I would go if the Jets were the visitors but otherwise I'll be at home watching the Jets play whoever. I know it gets talked about but I'm not convinced it'll ever come to anything. I don't think any existing franchise would take the risk of loosing an established fan base.

I just saw the Texans @ Jags result. Wow. I'd swap the Jets offence for the Jacksonville offence right now!! :lol:

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:17 pm

i've watched more AF this season, than in the last TEN!!!!!

i usually watch most of the late sunday / monday games, and i always watched the super bowl either live or taped!

GO BEARS
GO GIANTS
GO RAIDERS
GO 49ers
GO BENGALS
GO RAVENS
GO JAGUARS

GO AWAY COWBOYS
GO AWAY DOLPHINS
DIAF PATRIOTS ..... seriously just go to hell new england!

i laughed VERY HARD at last weeks chicago bears MAULING of the douchebag cowboys ..... laughed HARD!!!