HISCORE 2012: Arcade Tournament 2-3 June in Manchester

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

witchfinder

Re: HISCORE 2012: Arcade Tournament 2-3 June in Manchester

Post by witchfinder » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:46 am

SirClive wrote:Yes I agree, but the title is the accolade for the overall winner in my book. I just like something that gives all an emphasis to keep trying.
I can certainly see your point - I would hope people would want to keep trying just to improve themselves but I guess not everybody is like that.
SirClive wrote:E.g. if the high score winner on each game went into a sweepstake at the end then only the top players get prizes and the best of the best have the best chance of getting the prize
Hmmm, you may be on to something here. I might donate an extra prize from my collection and use a variant of this idea... I don't think just the top 3 would be enough because if you look at last year's results, the top 3 for each game usually included at least 2 of the overall top 3... If you look at the top 5 then you start to get a few more names in as this starts to include the non-elite players.
SirClive wrote:But those are just my thoughts and if I get my way you will do the next HiScore at my venue so I can be on the committee :)
Find a venue, then we'll talk... ;)
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:29 am

witchfinder wrote:
SirClive wrote:Yes I agree, but the title is the accolade for the overall winner in my book. I just like something that gives all an emphasis to keep trying.
I can certainly see your point - I would hope people would want to keep trying just to improve themselves but I guess not everybody is like that.
I do love watching high-score competitions & am is awe of those who can compete at the likes of Funspot and whatnot, but I'm sure there are loads of people like me that are hopeless at computer games, but enjoy playing them for a laugh.

I'll never have the hand-eye co-ordination to compete & I sure as hell wouldn't have the time to put in to better myself or the inclination either. :?
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:55 pm

the_hawk wrote:I'll never have the hand-eye co-ordination to compete & I sure as hell wouldn't have the time to put in to better myself or the inclination either. :?
You'd be surprised just how much better you can get in a short time by watching other players - that's one of the best parts about this event and similar ones. My best example of this was at Funspot on the game Cheeky Mouse. Before I went to the event I'd never even played it, but by the end of the tournament my score was in the top 15 of all players!

Helensification

Post by Helensification » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:08 pm

the_hawk wrote:I do love watching high-score competitions & am is awe of those who can compete at the likes of Funspot and whatnot, but I'm sure there are loads of people like me that are hopeless at computer games, but enjoy playing them for a laugh.

I'll never have the hand-eye co-ordination to compete & I sure as hell wouldn't have the time to put in to better myself or the inclination either. :?
There is a perverse pleasure in entering such a competition knowing you won't win. Yes you set your self up to look silly at times but you also learn lots of tips from watching the 'pros' at work. It's also great to see everyone club together to try and beat the favourite(s).

At the last HISCORE I tried a dozen or so games that I had not played before. Some I will avoid at all costs in the future but others I now like and I even play the odd one on XBox arcade.

So please do give competing a go. You might be surprised at how much you enjoy yourself especially at such a friendly event as HISCORE.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:00 pm

witchfinder wrote:I'll never have the hand-eye co-ordination to compete & I sure as hell wouldn't have the time to put in to better myself or the inclination either. :?
You'd be surprised just how much better you can get in a short time by watching other players[/quote]
I'd second that. I learnt tons at last years Hiscore and now consider myself reasonable at paclan roadrunner and that trackball shoots thingy as a result

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:43 pm

There seems to reluctance from people to sign up for the tournament, perhaps because they don’t think they are good enough to finish in the top five and win a cash prize. So to encourage more entries there will be a special prize that anyone can potentially win...

Anyone that enters the tournament and finishes in the top 15 scorers on any of the ten games will be entered into a draw to win a rare boxed NEC PC-FX with games. This obscure system was only released in Japan and commands high prices on Ebay.

So now you don’t need to be a master to have a chance of winning a great prize, you only need to be half decent at one of the ten games chosen for the competition. There are currently around 20 spots left in the tournament so please head over to the website now to sign up...

http://hiscore.cgeu.info/entry.html

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:55 pm

witchfinder wrote:There seems to reluctance from people to sign up for the tournament, perhaps because they don’t think they are good enough to finish in the top five and win a cash prize. So to encourage more entries there will be a special prize that anyone can potentially win...

Anyone that enters the tournament and finishes in the top 15 scorers on any of the ten games will be entered into a draw to win a rare boxed NEC PC-FX with games. This obscure system was only released in Japan and commands high prices on Ebay.

So now you don’t need to be a master to have a chance of winning a great prize, you only need to be half decent at one of the ten games chosen for the competition. There are currently around 20 spots left in the tournament so please head over to the website now to sign up...

http://hiscore.cgeu.info/entry.html
I'm thinking of going but I seriously doubt anyone (who will paying a bit to get there probably) would be put off entering because they wouldn't win any money. Think it's the range of events now on offer compared to even 2 or 3 years ago... Maybe.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:09 pm

sscott wrote:I'm thinking of going but I seriously doubt anyone (who will paying a bit to get there probably) would be put off entering because they wouldn't win any money. Think it's the range of events now on offer compared to even 2 or 3 years ago... Maybe.
You could have a point - there is one every month now pretty much! Maybe you can have too much of a good thing! ;)

Pacman 83

Post by Pacman 83 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Looking forward to this event 8) Nice to see the guys from last year as well.
Perfect Pac Man - Play Margate 22/08/2015
Highest Pac Man score of the golden age (1978-84)
3,221,000 19th June 1983

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:39 pm

Another update - there will be exclusive offers on certain drinks at the bar that will only be available for tournament entrants! Also Turnarcades will be offering a 15% discount off any orders placed at the event, again exclusively available to tournament entrants.

There are now less than 20 places left by the way.

Helensification

Post by Helensification » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:46 pm

Good one about the drinks as I'm going my train so can actually drink for once ;)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Helensification wrote:Good one about the drinks as I'm going my train so can actually drink for once ;)
Ill be the sober one again

THIS IS NOT THE LIFE OF A ROADIE!!

Just hope the tea machine is working this time

Retro Lord Bob

Post by Retro Lord Bob » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:26 am

Hi! Can I book a couple of spots for me and Lozz? Just wanna make sure they don't sell out before we get a chance to enter. I'll apply/pay officially at the end of the month if thats ok?

Saying that...do you have to pay when signing up? Or is it on the door?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:44 pm

When signing up.

He needs the cash as soon as.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:07 am

Retro Lord Bob wrote:Hi! Can I book a couple of spots for me and Lozz? Just wanna make sure they don't sell out before we get a chance to enter. I'll apply/pay officially at the end of the month if thats ok?
Just go to the site and fill in the form to reserve a place - you're not obligated to pay immediately (though as DPrinny said, I would appreciate it if you could!)