HISCORE 2012: Arcade Tournament 2-3 June in Manchester

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Edwards80

Re: HISCORE 2012: Arcade Tournament 2-3 June in Manchester

Post by Edwards80 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:22 am

Even if there is a runaway winner there is usually entertainment elsewhere on the leaderboard too :)

SirClive and Pforson's back and forth battle was entertaining last year :D Individual rivalries pop up all over the place, all in good fun of course!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:06 pm

Edwards80 wrote:SirClive and Pforson's back and forth battle was entertaining last year :D
And we all know how that ended...

8) :D 8)

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:02 pm

I'm thinking of collecting a bit of demographic info on the day so we can have some friendly rivalries such as Men vs Women, North vs South, Under 30's vs Overs and suchlike... :D
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:41 pm

I was at the Lass in July last year and enjoyed it, but mainly for just meeting some people I've spoken to on here and playing a few games. I wouldn't really be into taking part in the competition as such. Will there be enough there of gaming interest (ie MAME cabs, consoles etc) for anti-social scum like myself?
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:52 pm

Spector wrote:Will there be enough there of gaming interest (ie MAME cabs, consoles etc) for anti-social scum like myself?
In short, yes - there will be at least a couple of cabs available for anyone to play on and probably 4 or 5 consoles as well.

However, I really would recommend to anyone that is coming along that they support the event by entering the competition - it's only £12 and gives you the chance to win lots of great prizes - even if you only play the daily mysery games you have chance of winning up to £60!

People that took part last year will tell you that entering the tournament makes you play more games than you ever will at any other event, talk to more people than you otherwise would and learn more about how to improve your skills on classic arcade games...

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:33 pm

witchfinder wrote: even if you only play the daily mysery games you have chance of winning up to £60!
Freudian? Pengo or whatever it was at the barn definitely was miserable!

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:53 pm

I am tempted, even more so thaan last year, but I am only ace at donkey kong, and even that I;m nto that good at

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:12 pm

SirClive wrote:Freudian? Pengo or whatever it was at the barn definitely was miserable!
That game was f*cking hard for sure!
retrojc wrote:I am tempted, even more so thaan last year, but I am only ace at donkey kong, and even that I;m nto that good at
It's really not about how good you are - take it from me, most of us are average gamers at best - it's more about playing the games in a friendly competitive spirit and learning new tricks from the better players... Plus as has already been said, there will always be somebody to challenge even if it's not for a top 5 place! ;)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:25 pm

witchfinder wrote:It's really not about how good you are - take it from me, most of us are average gamers at best - it's more about playing the games in a friendly competitive spirit and learning new tricks from the better players... Plus as has already been said, there will always be somebody to challenge even if it's not for a top 5 place! ;)
I think this is always going to put people off. There is a great prize for winning the tournament, but realistically only 2 or maybe 3 people are ever going to be in with a shout. I would much rather see prizes used more innovatively to encourage more competition (like your daily challenge etc) and have a trophy for the overall champion rather than a high prize.

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:48 pm

SirClive wrote:
witchfinder wrote: even if you only play the daily mysery games you have chance of winning up to £60!
Freudian? Pengo or whatever it was at the barn definitely was miserable!
Hey! I thought that game was a true test of skill and character that only the ultimate of handsome super-hero men could possibly compete at. The winner must have been a most awe inspiring individual with testiculites that can only be described as epic. :|

Nothing was going to top Mohicankid and Smraedis's epic for game of the day on Sunday, whatever game was picked. Simon's triumphant return to the pub was excellent.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:39 pm

SirClive wrote:I think this is always going to put people off. There is a great prize for winning the tournament, but realistically only 2 or maybe 3 people are ever going to be in with a shout. I would much rather see prizes used more innovatively to encourage more competition
I can see your point, but in the end the event is all about getting high scores so inevitably the better gamers would be claiming the prizes regardless of the format, unless you're suggesting we award a prize for the most average gamer... ;)

My concern at the moment is that lots of people on here and Facebook are saying they will come but don't seem to want to enter the tournament. This is potentially going to cause two problems:

1. There are only going to be half a dozen systems available for non-tournament entrants, so if 20-odd people show up then they aren't going to have anything to play on.
2. If I don't raise a certain amount of money from entry fees then I won't be able to cover the costs of transporting cabs, printing the programmes, buying lanyards etc.

I'm probably just being paranoid at the moment as there is still plenty of time, but it would be nice if people just saw the £12 entry fee as a fair price for attending a gaming event rather than for any other reason... :?

Smraedis

Post by Smraedis » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:04 pm

I don't think those who compete at Funspot really expect that they'll do well to be honest...
It's nice to compete against others, I really enjoy that, and it's a bit boring when people just don't want to play against me :P

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:35 pm

Yeah, i think you left yourself open slightlyw ith free entry to non tourny people...

In regards to prizing I think what you're doing is fair enough. Mayeb acouple of random prizes like "best comeback" and "worst boss fight etc"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:10 pm

Smraedis wrote:I don't think those who compete at Funspot really expect that they'll do well to be honest...
It's nice to compete against others, I really enjoy that, and it's a bit boring when people just don't want to play against me :P
Any time at Computer club.

Everybody's level when playing Soul calibur on rods
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:35 pm

witchfinder wrote:
SirClive wrote:I think this is always going to put people off. There is a great prize for winning the tournament, but realistically only 2 or maybe 3 people are ever going to be in with a shout. I would much rather see prizes used more innovatively to encourage more competition
I can see your point, but in the end the event is all about getting high scores so inevitably the better gamers would be claiming the prizes regardless of the format, unless you're suggesting we award a prize for the most average gamer... ;)
Yes I agree, but the title is the accolade for the overall winner in my book. I just like something that gives all an emphasis to keep trying. E.g. if the high score winner on each game went into a sweepstake at the end then only the top players get prizes and the best of the best have the best chance of getting the prize (as they are likely to have more than one entry into the sweepstake). In fact I think the top 3 going in the hat, but 3 entries for the winner, 2 for second etc would keep far more people interested in the tournament as they have a greater chance of getting a return. But those are just my thoughts and if I get my way you will do the next HiScore at my venue so I can be on the committee :)