Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

thevulture

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by thevulture » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:40 pm

When the PSN Store price list went up a little while back, several outlets and plenty of commenters jumped on the pricing and claimed that the games available for download were matched up with their respective RRP.

This isn’t the case across the board.  Whilst some publishers are indeed trying to shift their titles at ‘full price’ – we’re looking at you Codemasters and EA – Sony certainly aren’t.

Quick example: Uncharted Golden Abyss might be pricey at £39.99 but the RRP is £44.99.  Sure, you can get it cheaper than that on the high street or online quite easily, but that’s not the point.  Sony have, as they have with other territories, discounted the PSN prices.

Andrew House said that SCEE were aiming to “have a lower price point for downloadable versions of games” and whilst they’re not huge savings, the fact is that they are discounted off the RRP.

From:thesixthaxis.Thought given post above, it might be worth putting up.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:04 pm

Work are putting the tills on half an hour early in the morning so I can come in and buy mine before we open. So by 9 am I shall be home and playing on my Vita!

Still no idea what games to get though. F1 is released tomorrow isn't it? I do like the look of it, but it's not very 'launch title' ish to me...

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:53 pm

I'll be getting Wipeout and also Motorstorm RC at the utterly bargain price of £4.79 off PSN.

dpadbro

Post by dpadbro » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:10 pm

Picking up Wipeout and Lumines for launch (got Lumines for £15 with the Amazon bundle), then going to hang out and hope that Silent Hill is a good Hunter clone!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:10 pm

Mine arrived today, didnt expect to get my hands on it today but shopto came through again!

Been giving mine a go with marvel and uncharted and wow :shock: that screen is s damn nice!

Marvel looks amazing, the slick screen and 60fps 2d gameplay go hand in hand with each other and is a joy to eholdas a result, it looks perfect.

Better still is the d pad, it's the best a handheld has had from my first impressions. I can pull off special moves with no problems no matter which side of the screen I'm on including dragon punches which was always a problem on other handhelds. Getting used to the button layout took a few minutes as my buttons in certain positions to get task masters combos down perfect and within minutes I was replicating what I do on the console version with ease.

Uncharted looks equally as awesome on the screen, the huge jungle vistas are quite breath taking. I tend to stop every few steps to soak up the scenery. The characters seem a little pixelated when zoomed out a lot but that's really my only complaint with the graphics. Controls are practically the same as the ps3 versions with added touch screen controls (most of which are optional) and actually work better in practice than I expected. Special mention should go to the gyro aiming which is actually really helpful for touching up aiming and is incredibly precise, I was really impressed. It took me a few minutes to get used to the second stick for camera control, I've been so used to not having one on a handheld I initially forgot it was there!
The photo mode is pretty neat, snapping the perfect pictures for achievements is a fun distraction and he touch and gyro functions work very well with it.

On a more general note, the main vita home screen is really simple to navigate, touch screen only controls and it's easy to breeze through menus, it reminds me of the iPad/iPhone in many ways. I really like what they did with the playstation store, it feels easier to navigate thanks to touch controls. I also like the splash screens for the software, being able to easilly view details, updates and dlc is very intuitive.

I've still got a few games to try and a few more to buy but I'm really impressed with the handheld, it's ey to navigate the menus (something I feel the 3ds doesn't do very well), the screen is excellent, the touchscreen stuff doesn't feel tacked on like I thought it might and the d pad is the best I've used on a handheld for a long time.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

dpadbro

Post by dpadbro » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:12 pm

Any thoughts on the durability of the touch screen at this early stage? Is it going to be sturdy enough (like a Samsung Galaxy S2) or is a screen protector in order?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:18 pm

dpadbro wrote:Any thoughts on the durability of the touch screen at this early stage? Is it going to be sturdy enough (like a Samsung Galaxy S2) or is a screen protector in order?
It feels pretty durable so far in my opinion. I'd say it feels similar to the touchscreen on my iPhone.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:18 am

Got the machine. No memory card though. Come on Amazon.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:04 am

Got my machine. Went for Rayman Origins and Everybodys golf, with the hope of getting either F1 or Wipeout (or Uncharted) later today/weekend. Also took a download code for Motorstorm RC.

Only played it for a little bit, as I want to get a screen protector on their first, but everything is great so far.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:12 am

I downloaded a load of stuff from PSN last night - very painful! Bought Ridge Racer, and for some reason the 'gold' pass was also free, which gave me loads of extra content. Not sure if it's free as an error or it's just free for a few days, as the extra course it includes is normally £1.99 I think on it's own...

I also bought Super Stardust, downloaded some free 'Fireworks' game and a demo of Unit 13.

Left my PS3 downloading it all so hopefully when I'm home tonight it will all be there to play - even though Ridge is getting some crappy reviews for having hardly any stages I'm a massive sucker for Ridge Racer games so quite excited!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:30 am

Hmm I've put Richmond Hill instead of 33 Richmond Hill. I may be buggered.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:41 am

Mootown wrote:I downloaded a load of stuff from PSN last night - very painful! Bought Ridge Racer, and for some reason the 'gold' pass was also free, which gave me loads of extra content. Not sure if it's free as an error or it's just free for a few days, as the extra course it includes is normally £1.99 I think on it's own...

I also bought Super Stardust, downloaded some free 'Fireworks' game and a demo of Unit 13.

Left my PS3 downloading it all so hopefully when I'm home tonight it will all be there to play - even though Ridge is getting some crappy reviews for having hardly any stages I'm a massive sucker for Ridge Racer games so quite excited!
The gold pack for Ridge Racer is free for a month or two I think before it goes up in price. I've got a money off code for it which was included with Shinobido so I can get £8 off it. Can't get the damn code to work though, for about £9 I figure I'd give RR a shot.

I also had a load of credit left over with Shopto so I grabbed Blazblue for £12 and Ninja Gaiden for £3 :mrgreen:

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:28 am

So, screen protectors? A necessity? My iPad & iPod Touch don't have them, but my 3DS/DSLite/DSi do due to me stabbing erratically at the screen with the stylus. :P

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:05 am

I'd say yes personally. You're going to be using the screen a lot from what I've seen so far.

A small heads up to anyone buying anything in Game. Bought one of the digital download cards for motorstorm earlier on - luckily I realised that on the recepit it had 'Hustle'. Tried it anyway and yup, will only allow you to download Hustle Kings, not motorstorm. We went through all of them in stock, and they all did the same. Currently contacting customer services, but beware - and if you do buy a digital download, may be worth checking whats on your receipt.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:14 am

Got mime through today, Rayman origins looks absolutely stunning on the screen, and being able to zoom in and out is a plus, you see more of the level that way and my god is it beautiful. Will be nipping in to town shortly to grab the copies of wipeout, uncharted and ultimate marvel vs capcom 3. Looking forward to all those but wipeout is unventured territory for me, only played it breifly beforehand on original and some hd.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image