Which consoles have you sold but now wish you had kept

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JetSetWilly

Re: Which consoles have you sold but now wish you had kept

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:17 pm

I really regret selling my Jaguar a few years ago. I also regret selling my TuboGrafix (but at least it went to a good home :wink: you know who you are).
My biggest regret is not at least packing up two of my retro consoles, namely my N64 and either my Mega Drive or Spectrum +2, before all this hoohaa blew up with my folks. It's only now I find that emulation, to me, just can't replace the real thing :( :cry:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:26 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:I really regret selling my Jaguar a few years ago. I also regret selling my TuboGrafix (but at least it went to a good home :wink: you know who you are).
My biggest regret is not at least packing up two of my retro consoles, namely my N64 and either my Mega Drive or Spectrum +2, before all this hoohaa blew up with my folks. It's only now I find that emulation, to me, just can't replace the real thing :( :cry:
Bet the spectrum +3 you regretted also.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:28 pm

Thankfully, I have all the consoles and computers I want now (with a few gaps to fill in over the next few years, of consoles and computer's I've never owned). But along the way I've parted with machines I wish I hadn't and have had to replace since:

Spectrum 128 with over 100 games - 20 quid at a car boot sale.
Dreamcast with 30 odd games - 20 quid to an ex-girlfriend and I never even saw the money.

But possibly the biggest regret is going through the stage of upgrading my PC every few years and disposing of older games as they 'wouldn't show off the latest PC tech'. Lost some of my favourite PC games that way.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:34 pm

resident paul wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:I really regret selling my Jaguar a few years ago. I also regret selling my TuboGrafix (but at least it went to a good home :wink: you know who you are).
Bet the spectrum +3 you regretted also.
No, not really. I think I just bought it for the sake of buying it. But, I'm glad thats also gone to a good home :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:01 pm

I regretted selling my Gamecube and games collection a few years ago. I've made up for that error now. :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:09 pm

Out of all the consoles I have sold, I semi-regret selling my CD32 and 32X. I don't fully regret flogging them because I wouldn't have the time for them and I don't really miss them but I do regret not trying out more games for each system. As far as the 32X was concerned, games were just too rare/expensive and nearly always in bad condition which was why I only ever played Doom on it before selling it on.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:26 pm

The one I regret getting rid of the most is my orginal Sega Saturn as I had a brilliant collection of games for it and really didn't sell it for anywhere near what it was worth.

I do own a Saturn again these days with a massive collection but sadly there were several games I had back in the day which I don't own now because they go for so much money :(

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:29 pm

Nothing. I've acquired most of my consoles in the last year and a bit, so I haven't had them long enough.
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

William S

Post by William S » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:07 pm

Two C64s and a NES.
ImageImageImage

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:13 am

I regret getting rid of my Amiga 1200, I think that and the Playstation 1 I had are the only two ever systems that I’ve relinquished. I don’t remember what happened to my 1200, it was put back into its box and relegated to the loft when new systems took its place. It’s gone from the house all together though, now. My folks don’t recall its fate either. Unfortunately I don’t have room for any more older 8-16 bit computers, or I’d have them all again.
And this bird you'll never change...

SIR'86

Post by SIR'86 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:11 pm

Not a console, but I regret selling my mint condition ZX81, boxed with all the manuals, leads and a Memotek 16k RAM pack.

I sold it for £25 around 1983 so I could get a C64. It'd be worth a lot more than that these days!

Luckily I bought a ZX81 off someone for £5 a few years later. It's not in very good condition - no box, manuals, even the rubber feet are missing, but it came with the original Sinclair 16k RAM pack. It sits on my desk at work as a reminder just how far we've come since then. :mrgreen:

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:29 pm

I regret selling them all, but lack of space and cash at certain times i had to depart from, probably sold 30-35 old machines through the years, though emulation softens the loss, its probably machines like the Virtual Boy i miss the most because you just dont get near the experience without the real hardware.
If by chance i won the lottery i would build a retro museum with every machine made in my grounds and hold events...ahem then i woke up!

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:36 pm

Well I'd say now my Amiga 1200, as emulation whilst nice, isn't the same.

Perhaps the Sega Saturn as well but it was a PAL machine only & I didn't find the games on it that entertaining. However, I would love to play the Dungeons & Dragons games by on it though but they probably cost a pretty penny these days.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:09 pm

Part of me regrets getting rid of the CD32, though I understand if I still had it that I'd probably think it was an even bigger pile of junk than it was back in the day (though I like the build of the machine, very heavy, angular, solid, industrial.)

I more regret parting with my Saturn and SNES because I traded them and a sh!tload of games against a PS2 and games when the PS2 came out. All those JAP Capcom SFC carts....:(

(Have a second SNES, mind, though I only hung onto my Super Probotector cart.)

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:43 pm

I called an independent game shop in Glasgow city centre (which I won't name...) asking them how much I could get for my Megadrive plus games. They told me £50, I thought I was quids in, travelled down there and whipped out my console to only get offered £14. There was a queue of people and I felt pressured to sell, especially when they said "but you phoned us..." So I did. Totally regret it, I had a great haul of games and it would have sold for much more on eBay even if I did decide to sell it. I still feel a bit scammed to this day on that one.