HISCORE 2012: Arcade Tournament 2-3 June in Manchester

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

witchfinder

HISCORE 2012: Arcade Tournament 2-3 June in Manchester

Post by witchfinder » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:11 pm

Competitive gaming fans rejoice – HISCORE, the UK Classic Arcade Game Tournament is back!

Unfortunately due to the closure of the Arcade Barn, we won't be returning to Exeter this year. Instead HISCORE 2012 will take place on the weekend of 2nd/3rd June at The Lass O’Gowrie in Manchester, home to several classic arcade machines and a favourite location for retro gaming events over the last few years.

The change of location means there will be reduction in the number available machines, but the main tournament will still consist of ten classic arcade games played on a mixture of original cabs plus MAME systems generously provided by our sponsor Turnarcades.

The main tournament will pit 50 of the country’s most competitive players against one another on a selection of the greatest arcade classics of all time. Last year the first prize was £100 cash but thanks to Turnarcades this year’s top prize is even more impressive – a one of a kind custom-designed Minicade MAME cabinet worth £350! :D

There will also be cash prizes for the players finishing in 2nd - 5th place this year. In addition to the main tournament we will again be running random daily competitions but this time they will take place on classic home consoles such as the Megadrive and Atari 2600. We’ll be running two games each day with a cash prize for each winner.

The added flexibility of using MAME cabs and home consoles means that this year all competitors have the chance to influence the choice of games used for the tournament. You can nominate your favourite games on the entry form, and we’ll draw the final list from those nominations!

Alongside the tournament games there will be a selection of arcade machines and consoles for casual play, and these will be available not just for tournament entrants but anyone who wants to come down and enjoy the fun...

Places in the tournament will initially be offered to people that entered the 2011 event but any remaining will be put on general sale from 20th February 2012. Entry fee will be £12 this year, a reduction on last year's price!

The website will be updated very soon with all relevant info, but feel free to visit http://hiscore.cgeu.info now to see what happened last year!
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Edwards80

Re: HISCORE 2012: Arcade Tournament 2-3 June in Manchester

Post by Edwards80 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:35 am

You mean I have to travel ALL the way, slightly down the road, to attend the event again this year!? Disgrace!

Awesome news :) The event was great fun last year - The ratio of game playing/chatting to folks was the most well balanced I have experienced :lol:

Highly recommended to anyone who missed it last year, very well organised and friendly :) The Lass have some good ale too.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:14 pm

Posted it about on the Computer Club things

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:05 pm

I'm in :)

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:07 pm

I'm in also! :)

Dam

Post by Dam » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:18 pm

Loved last years event in Exeter, and I've been meaning to attend a Manchester event for ages, BUT that weekend is in the middle of my exams, and it would depend on getting the weekend off work too, so its probably a no from me :(

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:02 pm

Dam wrote:BUT that weekend is in the middle of my exams
Bah! Everyone needs a break from studying.... ;)

Just a note about the dates - the observant among you will have noted the event takes place prior to the 2-day bank holiday. The dates are set as that weekend on purpose - from my perspective as organiser it's ideal to have 2 free recovery days off work after the event! ;)

Also I'm going on holiday the prior two weekends and EURO 2012 starts the weekend after so the pub wouldn't be available. I must admit I hadn't given thought to the fact that travel may be more difficult that weekend and hotels may be more expensive, but the Ibis across the road from The Lass is showing at £65 for a double/twin for Saturday 2nd June which isn't much different to the usual cost.

Hopefully this doesn't put anyone off too much... Initial response has been good so I hope to sell all 50 spots in the tourney!

Last year's competitiors will get an email by the end of the week regarding re-booking their place.

Dam

Post by Dam » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:34 pm

Didn't know there was one bank holiday in june, let alone 2! I'm guessing/hoping that we won't have exams on a bank holiday, but we do sometimes have them on a saturday, and we don't get the timetable until mid march. But then the long bank holiday probably also reduces my chance of getting the time off from work. You know what, I'm gonna buy a ticket anyway, and if I can't go, I'm sure I can pass it on to someone nearer the time. :D

Helensification

Post by Helensification » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:12 am

I'll be there. Looking forward to seeing how bad I can do again :wink:

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:43 pm

Is the Pope Catholic... do pigs sh!t... does my face empty knickers.. of course I'll be there! :)

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:12 pm

needless to say, i'm in!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:44 pm

If I can get some cash, Im a possible

Shame about the Arcade Barn :(
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:53 am

RMLF wrote:If I can get some cash, Im a possible

Shame about the Arcade Barn :(
it is a crying shame! it provided a fantastic 80's/90's arcade feel that you just can't get anywhere else now, now everyone knows that i attend a fair few gaming events, and i have to say that High Score has been my favourite one so far, its the only one i've been to where all your focus is on the games, not sure if the lass will have the same feel about it, but i'm sure matt will give it a bloody good go! :)
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:03 am

mohicankid wrote:not sure if the lass will have the same feel about it, but i'm sure matt will give it a bloody good go! :)
I will indeed - hopefully the increase in number/value of prizes will encourage lots of gameplay...

vp002

Post by vp002 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:52 am

matt,

Count me in !

Thanks Vinny