The RGF Shmup League - Season #10 COMING SOON

Got a high score accomplishment or speedrun to boast about? Share it here!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

nakamura

Re: The RG Forum Shmup League - *Starts Feb 1st 2012*

Post by nakamura » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:14 am

I also vote Axekay over and over, my fav shooter.

For reference, i'm pretty average at shooters, crap at bullet hell ones but it will be a laugh. Also will be playing the MD shooters on my PSP as I don't own a MD.
I guess we are going to have to trust each other for no cheating!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:18 am

nakamura wrote:I also vote Axekay over and over, my fav shooter.

For reference, i'm pretty average at shooters, crap at bullet hell ones but it will be a laugh. Also will be playing the MD shooters on my PSP as I don't own a MD.
I guess we are going to have to trust each other for no cheating!
Yep agreed. My feelings on save states are that Im very against them, but it's up to the individual if they feel they have to cheat to get a feeling of self achievement.

I'm very average at shmups and i absolutely still love playing them. It's all about having a fun friendly competition for me, and lots and lots of play time on one game (something I rarely do). Personal focus :)

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:21 am

This is shaping up a little better. 3 votes for Axelay and 5 votes for Mushihimesama leading the race.

Few more interested parties and it could be game on!

Axelay is brutal and I suck at it, but I would like to change the latter.

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:23 am

.....Gaiares!!!

I nominate Gaiares.

I'm pretty sure I'm spelling that right.

I JUST now suddenly thought of it.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:40 am

AmidstStorm wrote:This is shaping up a little better. 3 votes for Axelay and 5 votes for Mushihimesama leading the race.

I can actually complete Axelay with one credit on hard! :mrgreen:
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:47 am

nakamura wrote:
AmidstStorm wrote:This is shaping up a little better. 3 votes for Axelay and 5 votes for Mushihimesama leading the race.

And you say you're average? :) man I'm looking forward to this even more now.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:10 am

Come on Mushi I hate Axelay!! Well the vert sections, the hori bits are sublime

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:27 am

AmidstStorm wrote:
nakamura wrote:

And you say you're average? :) man I'm looking forward to this even more now.
Yeah but I have played this game to death, it is the only one that I can do like that. I am utterly useless at bullet hell games due to thinking they are boring.
Big fan of UN Squadron too, did finish it back in the day but can't now!

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:42 am

Axelay..... I hadnt played before.

Just tried it out a bit.....

Ahhh.... yeah. Count me out if that one ends up chosen. That is the SHORTEST amount of time it has ever taken for me to hate a shmup. Even Touhou doesnt do it that fast, and that's saying something.

Whoever thought the vert sections in that game were a good idea, has hopefully since been fired and never again allowed to work anywhere in the industry, lest they corrupt it with DUH.

I'll play almost anything that ISNT this.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:44 am

The vert sections work perfectly well, very nice indeed with some spectacular bosses. That said, it does look a bit flickery at the top of the screen nowadays. It certainly was a shooter with visuals in mind but it does play well as the sidescrolling levels show.

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:53 am

nakamura wrote:The vert sections work perfectly well, very nice indeed with some spectacular bosses. That said, it does look a bit flickery at the top of the screen nowadays. It certainly was a shooter with visuals in mind but it does play well as the sidescrolling levels show.

It's not the looks that put me off, it's the screwball way it handles, combined with the wierd scrolling and the really strange perspective. It never came close to feeling anything like "good", and considering the simplicity of most shmup controls.... that's actually hard to achieve.

The hori levels might be good, but there's no way I could tolerate the awful vert parts well enough to want to bother with them.

WAY beyond my patience level. I normally only get this annoyed this quickly by Treasure shmups.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:12 pm

nakamura wrote:The vert sections work perfectly well, very nice indeed with some spectacular bosses. That said, it does look a bit flickery at the top of the screen nowadays. It certainly was a shooter with visuals in mind but it does play well as the sidescrolling levels show.
Axelay is one of those games that when I get past the first level I can see what the fuss is about, even the later hori sections are nicer than that 1st level - as you say it does work perfectly well though.
Misery wrote:

It's not the looks that put me off, it's the screwball way it handles, combined with the wierd scrolling and the really strange perspective. It never came close to feeling anything like "good", and considering the simplicity of most shmup controls.... that's actually hard to achieve.

The hori levels might be good, but there's no way I could tolerate the awful vert parts well enough to want to bother with them.

WAY beyond my patience level. I normally only get this annoyed this quickly by Treasure shmups.
It certainly worth perservering mate and getting past that 1st level, I used to run it on an emulator with a save state from the start 2nd level and I used to load the game from there.
Last edited by gmintyfresh on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:13 pm

Well you need to spend a bit of time with it to get used to it. It does have a very weight feel overall, not as simple as most shooters. The backgrounds are actually far more than just lifeless scenery, there are a genuine hazard and very difficult to navigate. That is what separates it from other games in the genre.

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:04 pm

nakamura wrote:Well you need to spend a bit of time with it to get used to it. It does have a very weight feel overall, not as simple as most shooters. The backgrounds are actually far more than just lifeless scenery, there are a genuine hazard and very difficult to navigate. That is what separates it from other games in the genre.

Eh, for now it's mostly just that the controls censored me off.... I tend to be very picky about this aspect in pretty much any genre. Particularly with shmups though. The precision of movement I'm used to from other shmups just sorta leaps off a cliff, with this one, at least to me. Dont forget, I play alot of danmakus, and I'm able to do things like squeeze between 2 bullets that appear to be touching, and can pull this off pretty much 100% of the time.... so I notice even the slightest, tiniest little issue with controls (and the perspective/scrolling affects this), and it just drives me up the wall. Always has.

The backgrounds and such or walls or whatever dont bug me. Plenty of shmups have walls or things that leap out of the background at you or whatever. If I wanna complain about walls, I'll complain about R-Type Final..... yeesh, that had some claustrophobic sections to it. Give you like, .1 inches to maneuver....

This all combined with the fact that I have pretty much zero patience, and..... yeah. Obvious results, haha.

But I'll give it another go at a time when I'm feeling less irritable.

EDIT: and thinking about it further, I do also have a harder time paying attention to some of these older shmups simply due to the utterly mindless scoring. I really tend to get bored easily by that sort of thing. Not to say I dont play/enjoy older shmups, but I dont get totally sucked into them as I do with alot of more recent games. So that can affect it sometimes.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:21 pm

I've never played Axelay so I'll vote for that.
Splink!